Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing methodology....

zeighty

Here's something for the experts in LOR Land. 

I use the suggested LOR layout for my show (4,4,2,2 - well I only have 48 channels so 4,4,2) and I love the "ease" of figuring out sequencing this has done for me. Here's the challenge: 

What methodology do you use when sequencing? 

Examples: You listen to a song and decide which musical "events" are going to "trigger" something in your show. Don't misunderstand my use of the word trigger...Example: I mean a strong bass note and you turn all light on at 100%... Silent Night is playing and you fade in and out various lights.  

The good sequences seem to have so much thought put into them. I guess at how some of you do this and wondered if you could articulate for the less artistic amongst the group?  

Another example I thought of... Going through the sequence many many times, but only address specific musical / sound elements with each pass.  High notes, loud notes, soft passages, exciting sections, etc.  

I cannot seem to get past the 4, 5 or 6 hours of sequencing per minute of music and it can be a real downer... Okay enough whining... Let's hear how you do it and we all will learn something new.  

I built an inventory of "shared" seuqnces and use them to help build or expand my sequences.  So a lot of copy/pasting of selected channel from shared sequences.  Some of my sequences are a blend of elements from 3-5 shared sequences.

It  does take time to research  shared sequences to find channels that I can match to my light element.  Once I've done this, I still do a fair amount of tweeking and some manual sequences.  But it's still much more effecient than 100 percent scatch built sequencing.

John Storms...listentooutlights, has a couple sequencing tutorial video on how he sequence and worth to look see.

• Like 1