Light-O-Rama Forums

Instant sequence tips

jerry72

I thought i would start this thread for people like me who use Instant sequence and have some useful tips for setting up a perfect instant sequence. Please note that my sequences are set with 32 channels. You may want to adjust the sensitivity lower or higher depending on the amount of channels you have. For more channels, i would set the sensitivity a little higher.

For an  acapella song, like Mary did you know by Pentatonix, setting the timing map to Volume relative, with a sensitivity set to 6 and length of effects to 8, and  the  trigger set to rapid fire, that you get a very smooth transition between light strings. With very little instruments in that song, the  instant sequencer must rely on voice alone. With that song being acapella, the volume of their voices makes for a much smoother transition. 

I just did a instant sequence to Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. With that song, being completely instrumental, I found that by dropping the sensitivity to 4,  raising the length to 8, setting the sensitivity to frequency, i got a real nice beat effect with the lights. Again, i set the trigger to rapid fire. I have found that the rapid fire gives a fa better effect then the normal trigger.

• Like 1

Jerry,

Great thread idea - thanks.

I too have used SS to help sequence non-RGB light strands. This time last year I just "rolled the dice" enough times to get something "I could live with". Which thanks to Brian's software, worked for last minute show songs. This year, I've had more time to play around. Now, not wanting to update/upgrade until 12/26/15 or so, I don't have the rapid fire yet. So all of my experience is with "normal" trigger.

I agree you need to try sensitivity settings per song and not think the same timing map works on everything. I'm finishing "The First Noel" by TobyMac right now. Found I needed to click the "absolute" timing setting, with sensitivity at 3, lengths at 6 and checked extending lengths to get what I wanted.

As important as the timings are, the settings for the TCM are critical. For roofline and background items - stars, wreaths and spheres, I use "Circle CCW + inch worm" for most songs. After importing to SE, I sometimes use the toggle on the roofline - it keeps my C-9s on longer but still beats correctly. For the SS instant settings on arches and mega trees, straight and spiral, I usually set the TCM for Starburst, Twinkle Staggered,Star Implosion or Meteor Full Length. These settings usually will completely cycle the entire arch, marty fan or tree better than other settings.

For both TCM settings of background and my elements, 90% of time I set like this:

color is RGBW by group, not by time, right same, 5, 100%.

Also I have learned to take my RGB floods out. SS wants to blink them too much. Manually add them in SE later. Then I edit to "off" the little .05 timing flashes on all moving elements - arches, trees, etc. Has to be 3+ timing blanks to stay in show...

Then final thoughts - Import rows & real visualizations in pairs. I set my rows to not have any copied channels. Laid the background items in a line above my arches and trees. Use the real when viewing the song. Works out very well.

Even if you want to drastically change a feature up, the SS has spot on timings to hit your mark with.

Good luck,

Daniel

Edited by Mega Arch

Seems to me that with all the time and steps and experimenting and hoops that need to be jumped through just to come up with something marginally watchable, that maybe y'all would be farther ahead if you simply learned how to sequence.

Seems to me that with all the time and steps and experimenting and hoops that need to be jumped through just to come up with something marginally watchable, that maybe y'all would be farther ahead if you simply learned how to sequence.

I learned a lot in your classes for sure! I now sometimes combine both. Most of the SS learning mentioned above was self taught - before your SE classes. Once set up - bang!

I now also use some of Storms timings tricks. Between the 3 methods, I'm adding numerous songs that I created myself. Still might have to purchase one of your "Pink Floyd" tunes though, Master George.

Edited by Mega Arch

Time to block George again, not gonna put up with his constant put downs for those that use Instant sequence..

Edited by jerry72

Learning to use instant sequence is an effort unto itself. I don't have time to manually sequence all the music I play but by using different techniques I have self taught and the suggestions here I can make a very acceptable sequence. I like the part about editing out all the short effects as the "less blinky" button (for ac lights) never appeared..

After I find a song I like I go into audacity and manually mark up with labels where I want the (light patterns) TCM's to change in SS. I then send those "labels" to a text file that xlights turns into a spread sheet. I find that using instant sequence to "sequence selection only" and defining the time frame I wish to sequence makes the finished sequence more interesting to me.

Of the 4 TCM choices in instant sequence I use 2 for my 96 ac channels and 1 for the RGB roofline and pixel curtain and 1 for the 16 strand pixel tree.

Basically I am labeling my audio and changing the TCM's every 4 to 8 seconds on average. You can review just the section you have instant sequenced and change it as you go.

Sometimes I match the timings to the music and sometimes to the lyrics

Must be doing something right. Everyone loves the shows from Rudolf to Pink Floyd

Jerry..were doing strictly pixels or did you also have some ac strings?

And besides I kinda like experimenting and jumping through hoops. Keeps me young.

1 question on the instant Sequence... If I don't have a visualizer set up will it still do it?

I haven't used the visualizer as I am good at imagining what I will see. :D

Learning to use instant sequence is an effort unto itself. I don't have time to manually sequence all the music I play but by using different techniques I have self taught and the suggestions here I can make a very acceptable sequence. I like the part about editing out all the short effects as the "less blinky" button (for ac lights) never appeared..

After I find a song I like I go into audacity and manually mark up with labels where I want the (light patterns) TCM's to change in SS. I then send those "labels" to a text file that xlights turns into a spread sheet. I find that using instant sequence to "sequence selection only" and defining the time frame I wish to sequence makes the finished sequence more interesting to me.

Of the 4 TCM choices in instant sequence I use 2 for my 96 ac channels and 1 for the RGB roofline and pixel curtain and 1 for the 16 strand pixel tree.

Basically I am labeling my audio and changing the TCM's every 4 to 8 seconds on average. You can review just the section you have instant sequenced and change it as you go.

Sometimes I match the timings to the music and sometimes to the lyrics

Must be doing something right. Everyone loves the shows from Rudolf to Pink Floyd

Jerry..were doing strictly pixels or did you also have some ac strings?

And besides I kinda like experimenting and jumping through hoops. Keeps me young.

I have a mixture of RGB and AC lights. I have plans next year to be nothing but smart and dumb RGB lights. For now, i sequence the AC lights separate from then RGB dumb lights. But i have found that the Rapid fire just looks way less blinky then then on normal trigger. I see much smoother transition between effects. After i have made an instand sequence i will go back through and manually change effects in certain areas of the song, especially if there is a shift from low to high very quickly. 

1 question on the instant Sequence... If I don't have a visualizer set up will it still do it?

I haven't used the visualizer as I am good at imagining what I will see. :D

Superstar has to have a viz file in order to know what it is sequencing. You can create a quick viz file, it does not actually go off any props like a Visualizer file has, it just wants to know what channels you have.