Light-O-Rama Forums

Help making initial Kit purchase for projector

tcrosses

Hi all. I'm about to purchase a 16Ch Residential kit and adding on an FM Transmitter. I'm happy to run it all from my PC using the S4 software but buying a kit with showtime, seems to be better value (as it appears it will save me from running the pc during shows). But if I'm planning on syncing video with this, and displaying on the projector, does the Showtime controller support it from the SD card? Does it have a VGA or HDMI out that I can't see? Or am I just going to have to settle for plan A.

Thanks in advance. 

Corie

Neither the Showtime Director or Mini-Director will run video. If you want to sequence video, you will need to use your computer to run the show.

It does not take a top of the range computer to run your show, even with video.

You can get a PC capable of doing what you need second hand for half the price of a mini-director. 

It does not take a top of the range computer to run your show, even with video.

You can get a PC capable of doing what you need second hand for half the price of a mini-director. 

what would ypu recomened in computer to run lor, rgb and video  

The lights are nothing. Dumb RGB and strands are such a little load on the PC. Pixels (High channel counts) are slightly more, but it is still only sending a bunch of commands turning lights on and off.

Video takes a lot more. You need an OK graphics card.

If the PC will play the video smoothly in Windows Movie Player, then it should be able to play it in LOR.

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2015 at 2:41 PM, Don said:

Neither the Showtime Director or Mini-Director will run video. If you want to sequence video, you will need to use your computer to run the show.

Well Don, I was hoping that technology moved forward, because I'm using a G3-MP3 Show Director, and it did a great job running a number of LEDs, dumb pixels, and smart pixels this past Christmas season. But I'm looking forward to 2018 and what I can do for Halloween as a starter. Video house projection is on my radar, so I was hoping it could be added to this Show Director. But alas, no, so says the LOR Help Desk. Specifically he/she said, "ShowTime Directors have no video output so projectors are a no-go.  Only a computer has enough horsepower to do what you want,." This confirms what you said in 2015. So it looks like a laptop is in my future to run this year's shows because I really am enamored with house projections. 

What kind of projector can be placed outside to withstand the weather (especially the winter cold)?

I am assuming this discussion involves showing a "video" onto the entire house (or Castle) to enhance it...like one where Santa jumps from the top of a window frame to the top of the next window frame (I saw that once on a video someplace).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

What kind of projector can be placed outside to withstand the weather (especially the winter cold)?

I am assuming this discussion involves showing a "video" onto the entire house (or Castle) to enhance it...like one where Santa jumps from the top of a window frame to the top of the next window frame (I saw that once on a video someplace).

jamills706, yes, I'm talking about video mapping/projection of my house, or in my case a portion of the house since I have a clump of birch trees growing in front of my house. I'm placing my projector outside in a box similar to the one found through this link. I haven't built the box since I don't have a projector. Buying the projector will be my first step. The Digital Press Works website has some suggestions about buying such a projector.

Then setting up the location of the projector will be the next step so I can make an outline of the portion of the house to use. Here is another link that describes that process. This will help me determine how tall to make the box since I will be shooting across a drive that has a drop of about 4' from the bottom of the house to the projector. 

From the threads I've read, and content on the Internet, as long as the projector is kept from the elements, you are good to go. But ventilation is a big issue, since the projector is trapped in some container that will probably retain heat, and the goal is to keep the projector dry when sitting outside. So you need some way to displace the heat from inside the chamber holding the projector. Cold doesn't seem to be an issue from what I've read because of the heat generated by the projector. Too much heat is an issue.

These tutorials came from Digital Press Works, who several people have mentioned in posts about purchasing Matt's videos to enhance their display, all positive. I also know of a guy who purchased a Halloween video from Matt in 2017 and was very pleased with the final product.

I also plan to attend this year's Christmas Expo in hopes of learning more about video projection, assuming it will be on the agenda. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Tim Dorr  for ventilation 1 or 2 (depending on how hot the climate is) of something like these vents (with a 12V fan) at the top of the box and  1or 2 vents (with insect screen to stop bugs getting in) at the bottom of the box should do the trick. If you put a shelf in the box make sure it has holes/slots in it so airflow can move from bottom to top. Those vents should be available on amazon or hardware stores

Ventilation  Ventilation  Ventilation 

The biggest killer of Projection bulbs is HEAT.

The second highest heat is the AMP

And disks HATE heat, they warp

Goals

1) Security A cage would do this. But...

2) Weather (rain/wet) protection., whilst providing lots of coolness

3) Sound.  The speakers can be any place as long as they are Outdoor rated. Rocks, Marine...

Thanks @OzAz and @TheDucks for your comments. I've used those vents mentioned by OzAz with the CG-1500 boxes and they work great in a passive mode. Should work that much better with a fan to push around the heat. Appreciate the guidance.