Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie LOR question (first of many to come!)

BobinFL

BobinFL wrote:

Since I am starting with LOR, am I better off upgrading to LOR II right away.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am not using LOR II, so I can't offer any advice on that, but since you are a newbie, I can offer a suggestion on how to get better responses to your questions.

Your topic is not descriptive. When topics are descriptive, you will get much better response. A topic like "Should a new user start with LOR I or II?" Many people (and I am one of them) won't even click to read a topic that is general, but I see that you are new. There are too many topics to read them all if the topic title isn't descriptive.

Any way, welcome to the "club", and wishing much success and fun with LOR.

If you aren't buying right away (hint: wait for the spring sale), I would suggest downloading the demo software for LOR I and get familiar with it. All the sequencing you do with the demo LOR I can be used in the full version of LOR I or II. The demo cannot actually run the lights.

Also, from what I have read, S2 (what is now called LOR II) will be officially released in Feb, 2008. The LOR II everyone talks about now is an upgrade available only for current LOR I owners.

By the time the sale comes around, LOR II (or S2) should be available. I would wait till then to purchase everything.

The idea of waiting to purchase the software could be a mis-guided idea.

On many occasions Dan has told us that it will be a free upgrade for LORI users. However NOTHING has been said as to the price of LORII for a person purchaing for the first time. Logic would tell you that it will not be the same price as LORI is at this time. I have been in this for over 2 years and the price for the software has not gone up at all.

All that said. Buyer be ware that you could end up spending more if you wait for the software. Also, IF you purchase the software, get it as a starter kit. You can get the software now. Then LOR will ship the adapter and cable when you order and they ship the controller at a later time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

The idea of waiting to purchase the software could be a mis-guided idea.

On many occasions Dan has told us that it will be a free upgrade for LORI users. However NOTHING has been said as to the price of LORII for a person purchaing for the first time. Logic would tell you that it will not be the same price as LORI is at this time. I have been in this for over 2 years and the price for the software has not gone up at all.

All that said. Buyer be ware that you could end up spending more if you wait for the software. Also, IF you purchase the software, get it as a starter kit. You can get the software now. Then LOR will ship the adapter and cable when you order and they ship the controller at a later time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chuck

Good advice. :(

Buy LOR I now, use the Gamma version of LOR II. When LOR II comes out, you will be that much farther along then anybody else.

If it were me, I would practice on LOR II.

After this week is up, I will use LOR II exclusively.

PS: Welcome to the forum and do not let a few guys scare you away from asking questions.

About the only thing that will result in a serious flame is asking a question that has been asked about a 1000 times before.

Use the search button above. And if your topic does not come up---ask away.

I went ahead and purchased the LORI software Bobin so if the price does increase I can upgrade either for free or not as much. I have been practicing with LORI but am really thinking of dl the LORII so I can get used to it. No use learning then having to re-learn. However, I am a newbie just like you so I could be way off. Good luck, have fun, and WELCOME!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I went ahead and purchased LOR I and upgraded to LOR II. I can start learning the software while I wait for the hardware to arrive. I ordered one kit and will purchase more when the sale arrives.

Thanks again,

Please clarify something for me.

If you own LOR I, you can download LOR II gamma for free. But from the release information posted for the gamma version, it will only work for six months.

LOR II will be replaced by S2 in Feb 2008. Will S2 also be a free upgrade to previous owners? I haven't seen that specifically stated on the web site.

S2 is just a new name for what everyone is calling LOR II right now. Dan has said for the past couple years that the upgrade will be free for current LOR I users. The reason LOR II will expire is that it is a "gamma" version, sort of an advanced beta version. It will expire six months from date of issue, but the final version of LOR II, called S2, will be released before that time.

Jim,

I wouldn't be too hesitant about downloading and installing LOR II. I too was really leary at first, but I was so far behind on my sequencing that I felt I needed to do something to get my show up and running this year. I went from 96 channels last year to 160 this year which seemed overwelming. I downloaded LOR II just to be able to use the tracks feature. It was a showsaverfor me, being able to separate my channels into manageable sections. I have had absolutely no problems with LOR II in either sequencing or the show running.

I dl LORII and LOVE IT! I have been playing with it for the past 2 hours and it is awesome. I have not gotten to the tracks yet, but i am sure it will help. I spent all that time hesitating when I should have been sequencing LMAO!