Light-O-Rama Forums

How many LOR AC controllers on a single breaker?

Dcroc

I currently have 4 breakers dedicated to my light show.  However, I have upped the number of controllers this year from 4 AC to 6 AC controllers, plus 5 DC controllers (pixels).  How many AC controllers do you usually run on one breaker? I'm thinking it may be time to add a few.

If you're running a total of 1 amp per controller, you could but up to 12 controllers on a 15 amp circuit. (Rule of 80% in electricity.)

All depends on the total amperage you are running per controller.

Invest in a Kill-a-Watt, or Clamp Meter. Grab the spreadsheet Mega Arch linked, and stay within the 12A's that Don outlined.

You have to understand what you have first, the draw it requires, then figure out how to distribute the load. You said pixels, but what are you using on the AC controller channels? LEDs will allow you to have more "lights" with minimum power draw.

I ran my show in my early years on 3 - 15A circuits till I tapped into an un-used 50A electric range circuit. I made the decision 12yrs ago to go with LEDs wherever possible.

Edited by zman

If you max out the current capability of a residential AC controller, you need two breakers per controller, with 15 amps per each 8 channels.

Conversely, if you run just a single strand of 50 LED's per channel, you can probably put 30 controllers on a asingle breaker.

How many controllers can fit into one of my vehicles?  No, I won't tell you which vehicle, or the cargo carrying size of each vehicle.

Same type of question you asked, and just as valid.

Sorry, I know that was vague.  

I don't run more than 1 or two strings of 100ct incans on any one channel.  Was gonna switch over to all leds, but RGB is taking over my display, so I will just wait till next year to go that route instead.  I currently have six 16 channel controllers (up 2 from last year). At the most, there may be a few 100w spots, and 40 - 100 watt bulbs in some blow molds.  I run my nativity on one controller, whcih has mostly 40 - 100 watt bulbs., and a few night light type bulbs. I will also be running  five 12v DC RGB controllers this year. 3 with 27ch dumb controllers, and 1 with 4 channels of smart pixals. Each will have a 350 power supply.  To power all this, I have 4 breakers at 30amps each. I am considering adding 2 more just for the RGB controller power supplies ( will be adding 3 more DC controllers next year). I have a 150amp box. Am not sure how loaded I have it at the top of my head, but I wanna say I am at about 65%. 

I am running 4 ac16 channel controllers and 2cmb24's and 8 LOR ccp controllers on 1 20 amp circuit. Everything is led,pixels or rgb's expect for 16 strings of regular Christmas mini lights.

Well, if you go all LED. One circuit/CB goes a long ways.

As in my display. All of this is powered from one circuit/CB. :)

Everything runs on AC controllers but the LED floods, which are run by DC controllers.

Over 20,000 LEDs in the mega tree alone. Mini trees with around 4,000 LEDs.

IMG_3263_zps63168b64.jpg

And four different colors of icycle strands (2,000 LEDs).

DSC06823_zpsb3f87fa7.jpg

And 30ea 10W RGB LED floods for the mega tree tower and mega arch.

DSC05056_zpsb5159f2c.jpg

DSC05064_zps3441d4fd.jpg

DSC05075_zps819753e2.jpg

Then there are the snowflakes, lights on the roof, the star, and 16 strands wrapped on a pole attached to the mega tree tower along with a 50 strobes on the house and tree.

Edited by Santas Helper

To power all this, I have 4 breakers at 30amps each.

How or what kind of outlet do you have connected to 30A breakers?

Standard duplex outlets are rated for 15A.

How or what kind of outlet do you have connected to 30A breakers?

Standard duplex outlets are rated for 15A.

Probably has multiple outlets in each circuit. Kinda like the circuits in a house.

I have to agree with Darryl.  I believe general purpose multi-outlet circuits are limited to a 20 amp maximum.  A 30 amp circuit is application specific (i.e. welder, air conditioner, etc.) and all its components (wire, outlet, cord) are supposed to be rated at 30 amps.

Shouldn't be running 15 or 20 amp receptacles off a 30 amp breaker.

Also

I am considering adding 2 more just for the RGB controller power supplies

Don't get the amperage rating of a power supply mixed up. The current draw would be much less on the 120 v side. Eg. if a 12 volt power supply is rated for 30 amps. It's rated for 30 amps at 12 volts. Which would only be 3 amps at 120 volts.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

• The topic was locked