Light-O-Rama Forums

LED string lights - Dimming

samsonusmc

I wanted to ask about the use of (dumb) LED string lights that I would get from big box retailers in their LOR displays. Am I largely limited to just ON and OFF? or can dimming and quick strobes be used?

I know that this has likely been asked and answered but I couldn't find a thread from the search. Also, I realize that if it is possible, it may be supported better on a certain brand/type of string LED so any insight would be helpful. 

Regular led strings can be dimmed. Alot of mine are from big box stores & no problems ( snubber may be required)

The only bad thing I've heard is Martha Stewart lights.

They apparently can catch fire when dimmed.

I had or still have Generation, 1, 2 controllers & the Led lights I can get up here in Western Canada dim no problem but that is up here. Some folks had issues with dimming & so I believe the Generation 3 controllers helped solve that issue........ I could be wrong.

I got tons of 'Holiday Time' Wal-Mart brand LED's. I can report that I have about four seasons of use, no apparent issues and they all dim perfectly. The only difference is they are noticeably brighter than the incandescent; the LED's at 10% look just as bright as incandescent at 35%

Most LED lights will dim. I go to the store, buy all the lights, bring them home. Test out one of each kind. If they don't dim I take that type back.

LEDs do better on shorter fades. If you do really long fades (like 20 seconds) you'll get some flicker. Flicker can be managed like someone said with snubbers or keeping your extension cord lengths a little shorter. All my flicker issues disappeared when I switched to using 30' or less extension cords.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my second year with light o rama . I have checked the percent that my led strings come on and go off . Different colors come on at a little different percent and are at their most brightness at about 75 to 80 percent have read about setting dimming curve but don't know if it's worth the trouble or would even help .thx. In advance for help