Light-O-Rama Forums

How to build a Spiral Tree with Hook Head / Star Topper

Mega Arch

Here in Oklahoma, we've had record rains the entire month of May. 18+ inches already and more forecasted... Therefore I was rained in all weekend. So I used this time to build my first ever Spiral Tree. I used Jerry Baker's youtube pattern to get started. It was pretty simple once I got going. I did modify it somewhat as I wanted a hook head / star topper. I think it turned out great. Just enough sunshine today to get it painted before it started raining again. Entire project was finished in this 3 day weekend. Here's Jerry's link and some pictures in case you want to build one too. (Thanks for the great plans Jerry...)

Spiral%20Tree%20Topper%202_zpsbnalgc6f.jSpiral%20Tree%20Topper%20Lit%202_zpseqdnSpiral%20Tree%20Lit%202_zpsydodrfhu.jpg

• Like 1

Just found my next project. Nicely done!

Did you make the star? If so, what did you make it out of?

Thank you for sharing

That looks nice, but would you PLEASE send some of that rain over here.  We haven't gotten half that much all rain year (July to June)....

Just found my next project. Nicely done!

Did you make the star? If so, what did you make it out of?

Thank you for sharing

It was the star from my original mega tree from Wowlights.

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=20&Product=183

Cut their warm white rope light off and put 35 count m6 pure white leds to match my other stars / lights on it.

Just used black zip ties to secure them.

That looks nice, but would you PLEASE send some of that rain over here.  We haven't gotten half that much all rain year (July to June)....

Stormed last night and the forecast is for rain the next 3 days again... So we have plenty. Most lakes near us are 11ft or more over their banks. Crazy.. Paypal $1000 to me to cover the shipping and I'll send you a couple of buckets full.

Nicely done, both project and video.  Wasnt able to find the doc link tho.

Dave, yeah, for some reason the stuff below Jerry's link doesn't show up on the link I used. You actually have to go to his youtube page to see all the links. I think I can get the document directly linked here. If not, again, go to his youtube page. It's worth it. He has some other projects that give good ideas as well.

(& thanks for the nice comments...)

Good luck,

Daniel

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1qhd15cy1b85p1u/Spiralparts.doc

Edited by Mega Arch

Looks great. Mind if I ask the bulb count for the strings your using? I built one using the same plans this winter (it really is an easy project), and I'm painting the rings now. I bought blue 50 count led strings for the spirals at the HLE pre-sale so I'm hoping they aren't too long.

Edited by jrock_at_rons

Looks great. Mind if I ask the bulb count for the strings your using? I built one using the same plans this winter (it really is an easy project), and I'm painting the rings now. I bought blue 50 count led strings for the spirals at the HLE pre-sale so I'm hoping they aren't too long.

I used 60 count 15ft stands. Most experts say 1-1/2 to 2 times around. These 15 footers went a few feet past that and I still think they will look good. So 12ft to 15ft could look alright - just depends on your taste. If you have longer strings, I would think you might want to go taller. I went 8-1/2 ft including the star as I can store fully assembled. November's just too crazy already...

Brown Christmas Light Show (link below) has a spiral tree calculator link towards the bottom of the page. Play around with it and it will help give a better idea of the lengths you might want to wrap.

Good luck.

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

If my high school algebra is still good, I'm using 10' sides with a radius of just over 2'. So it should be about 9.5' tall when fully assembled (I haven' only had it in halves so far). So 50 count should work well. I look forward to seeing yours in action. Thanks mega arch.

Edited by jrock_at_rons
  • Like 1

If my high school algebra is still good, I'm using 10' sides with a radius of just over 2'. So it should be about 9.5' tall when fully assembled (I haven' only had it in halves so far). So 50 count should work well. I look forward to seeing yours in action. Thanks mega arch.

Yeah. I think your 50s should look great. Be sure to post some of yours too.

Good luck.

I like the way you did the topper for the star mount..

I made a 12 ft. tree using his pans as a guide last year which was also my first year.

I used 100 count lights doubled in half for mine. This year I plan on 12 ft tall with 2 wraps of the lights instead of just one. so I will be adding another 16 strands to it. also just made it a two color.. multi color and blue. 8 of each.

I like the idea of the bolts you put in to mount the lights on and the cross section to mount the star,,

I made a 2 channel star out of the aluminum used for making window screen and cut to the  length I wanted and put together with screws at the connection points but didnt really give it a lot of thought about how to mount it..

I just added a cross piece in the center top of my tree and a screw threw a piece I added on the bottom of my star to that to mount it.. 

I used zip ties and arranged lights on the outside of the frame for one color and on the inside of it for the second color.  you can see mine n operation at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rQS92LcPWUXsSF1WR3hkw

Edited by Old Sarge

oh I almost forgot... If your sharing... send some of that rain to the Antelope Valley ( High Desert) in California to... I think we have got maybe 1.6 inchs this year sense Jan 01.

oh I almost forgot... If your sharing... send some of that rain to the Antelope Valley ( High Desert) in California to... I think we have got maybe 1.6 inchs this year sense Jan 01.

Actually Chuck, you're on your own. We will probably need ours here before the summer is over. I know, not being very nice. Oh well.

hahaha no problem...

I know how it is there...

I grew up on the Texas side (Sherman/Denison) of Lake Texhoma and lived right on the lake for a long time in the Cartwright OK. side of it.

I have seen it flood a few times when I was growing up there.

• 1 month later...

Looking to make acouple of these about 8 foot tall. So is a single string of 50 going to look ok or does it need a 100 string doubled in half for the lights? Also 8 channel for 2 strings or 16 channel for single strands, which will look the best?

Thanks

Wayne

Looking to make acouple of these about 8 foot tall. So is a single string of 50 going to look ok or does it need a 100 string doubled in half for the lights? Also 8 channel for 2 strings or 16 channel for single strands, which will look the best?

Thanks

Wayne

I think your 50 count strings will look great. Play around with this calculator a little and see what you think.

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/uploads/3/0/7/1/3071605/spiraltreespreadsheet-97.xls

If you have 16 channels - use them. I could only allocate 8 this year as I'm adding 64 for Mega Tree. And until oil prices stabilize a little higher - budget....

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked