Light-O-Rama Forums

Updating Hardware Profile

dgrant

I have a question if someone knows a better way. I'm going to make hardware updates, channel configurations and so on, so I'm wondering if there's a way to replace partial hardware configurations into existing sequences where the old hardware configuration already exists without screwing up the whole thing? Its only one major section of the hardware profile, not all of it. In this case, changing all 1800 channels of a pixel tree to 2400 channels...12 strings to 16 strings and new device/channel/universe assignments. I don't need to change anything else.

Are you just adding the additional  4 strings or also  changing info on the existing 12 strings as well?

Yeah, changing all of the pixel nodes to strips, different controller, different universes, different channel assignments

I would delete the existing 1800 to create a new baseline config. And then use Vegomatic to add the 2400 back in to the baseline. It's very fast and easy. Took me a couple tries to understand a couple of the settings, but what you're asking would take less than 5 minutes, assuming all the pixels are in contiguous addresses.

I'm going to try an E682 card this season with the new pixel tree, so the channels will cross universes and so on. Such as Universe 1, 1-510, 2, 1-90, 3, 1-510, 4, 1-90 and etc...I've not tried vegomatic so I don't know if it'll help in this or not. I was sort of waiting for S4 to come out, hoping it had the capability within but so far, no joy

Yes delete the original and use Vegamatic.

Here is a link to  a short video (not mine)

you can see just how easy it is. 

Thanks to Bob O 

I've already built a test configuration of the new hardware by itself and I'm fairly confident its correct. Now what I'd like to do is add it to the existing hardware configuration without replacing the existing one.

As long as you do not have groups create a new blank sequence and import your original configuration, insert enough blank channels to match your new added pixel tree to the top of the configuration (add a couple of extra channels as a safety.)

Import the configuration that ONLY has the new pixel tree channels. (these will go into the blank channels in the new configuration)

You will end up with the new configuration at the top, and the original at the bottom,  (move to a different location as you wish).

If you have groups, de-group first the after the import re-group,  The import configuration does NOT like groups.

BACKUP  then backup again before any of this !!

Oh I know all about backing up first! I have multiple tracks to help when sequencing so this will be a pain. I'll have to create a new master hardware configuration including the tracks then manually copy each track of each sequence, one at a time. I was hoping there was a faster way but apparently not the case