Light-O-Rama Forums

Whats New in SuperStar S4

dqhall

Hey Brian, with the new roll out of S4, can you tell us what new features or fixes will there be in SuperStar?

v3.12.2 was released on 1/20/2015. In that release SuperStar included:

1) Added "Scale" to Morph Group Modify and Scene Group Modify

2) Changed it so that channels that are not in a visualization do not get output in the exported sequence file.

3) Added support for 60 CCR license level

4) minor bug fixes

In the next S4 release of SuperStar:

1) Support for the new lightorama file protocol that will better support displays with large numbers of RGB pixel lights

2) Support for the new DMX Pixel tool in the visualizer.

3) Exported visualization sequences were only exporting channels that contain commands. Fixed it so it exports all channels in the visualization.

4) Fixed it so the white color control only appears if it is visualization mode AND there are some non-RGB fixtures in the visualization

5) minor bug fixes

As you can see, I do not have a lot of new features in the next release. Supporting the new file protocol and the new DMX Pixel tool is where most of my time has been spent.

So we will no longer need to use your "back door" method of using keywords in the comment line of a prop?

Correct. Creating a DMX RGB pixel string in the Visualizer will be much easier now and you can then import the visualization into SuperStar.

Support for the "back door" method will still be there for backward compatibility.

2) Changed it so that channels that are not in a visualization do not get output in the exported sequence file.

Thanks Brian for an update.

I'm curious on this one. If there are two props in the visualization file both will be affected by Smooth Effects but not any other props in the show? For instance a pixel spinner atop a mini-mega tree :)(couldn't think of name for my little wanna-be mega tree) If I do a Shockwave effect on the tree will it still be shown also on the Pixel Spinner?  Both props being in the same visualization file.

My work around to date is to just bring in a visualization file of the tree, do the effect, then bring back the joined prop visualization file and continue on.  (I hope that makes sense)

Also for those of us who do not use DMX, is the macro channels for CCR/CCB/CCPs when exporting CCP's issue resolved or is should I just go the DMX route. The DMX route would be new for me, but I could learn it. The issue I am refering has been discussed here http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34868-option-to-skip-export-of-macro-channels/?hl=%2Bsuperstar+%2Bexporting

By the way if answering takes away time from finishing the updates, by all means finish the updates first. :) I'll get the answers when the beta comes out.

The issue with smooth effects bleeding over to other props is still there. There used to be the same problem with text and images, and I fixed that by having them clip to the first matrix that is in the display. I should do the same thing with the smooth effects, but not sure when I will be able to get to that.

Thanks for the reference to the macro channel issue. In the original posting I misunderstood the point of the posting. Some people that use DMX sequence in CCR mode and then copy/paste the 150 channels onto somewhere else in order to convert to DMX. That's what I thought the posting was about and so I thought that support of DMX would do away with the problem. But it looks like the point is that some people who are using LOR CCRs/CCBs/CCPs would like to not have the macro channels in there. Not exporting the macro channels would be easy to do. It probably won't be in the next release, but I'll consider doing it sometime this year.

Now that I think about it, maybe superstar should never export the macro channels unless the sequence uses the "Pixel Resolution" macro. Some of my older sequences use the pixel resolution macro to avoid lag, but with the new 500K network speed that is not an issue anymore. And people should not be using the macros after export anyway.

Thanks Brian for the quick response.

As I said at least the smooth effect effects bleeding over has a work around, the macro channels is painful to do everytime I import into SE. At least the issue has been clarified.

Thanks again...