Light-O-Rama Forums

Convert existing LOR Megatree sequence to CCR sequence?

lowepg

Please excuse the SUPER newbie question:

I'm planning to jump into pixels this year for the first time with a CCR tree (16-strips).

I already have a 20' megatree all incans, 48 channels (16 "bundles", 3 colors, red, green white).

So my question is:

Can I "port/map" over some of my existing 16-channel megatree sequencing to the new CCR tree with SuperStar?

Why would I want to do this?

Well, I dont necessarily want the CCR tree to be the centerpiece of EVERY song. Rather, Id like it to compliment the display on several sequences ("acting" like a dumb tree), then bursting out with several sequences where its the "star." Also, I expect it will take me some time to convert over ALL my sequences to unique CCR animations...

So ideally Id like it to act like my dumb megatree sometimes :-). Can i use my existing megatree sequences or so I need to start over from scratch?

btw, Im not getting rid of the 20' megatree, it will continue to be part of the show, along with a 10' "mini-mega" tree.....

Edited by lowepg

Superstar can export sequences to the sequence editor but it cannot import sequences from the sequence editor. So if your 20 ft megatree sequences were written in the sequence editor you cannot import them into superstar.

But you can import timings. To import a timing you specify a channel in the sequence editor and it will import that channel as a timing that will appear as line segments below the time ruler. But that's the best you could do.

Also, even if your 20 ft megatree sequence were originally written in superstar, you could only use it for timing marks. The effects you would do on a CCR tree would be different than the effects you would do on a 48 channel megatree.

damn.... i knew it wouldnt be that easy! :-)

part of the problem is I haven't played with the SS software yet.... I was waiting until i pulled the trigger on the ccr tree-

the price decrease came at a great time.... i guess i might as well belly-up to the bat, buy it and start learning...

Edited by lowepg

You don't need to purchase a license to learn. You can do everything except exporting a sequence without a license.

Yes sir start practicing.  On a side note if a fellow like me can sequence a 12 ccr Matrix after only a total of 2.5 months over a two year period with out watching any " How To" videos then you could do it. I am doing a 16 ccr tree this year & I am sequencing a ccr tree for the 1st time.  Basically the same principle as a ccr Matrix.  

There is a way to convert your original to RGB but it is a bit tedious as long as you are only using Red/Green/Blue/White.

Create your new RBG channels.

open the RGB channels to have access to the 3  individual colors.

Set paste to paste from background (you will need when you paste the white protion)

Copy the red original strings to the red on the rgb string (full length of the sequence and use paste by time)

Do the same for each of the red strings (to the red of each of the RGB strings.

Same for Green  and for blue.

for the white paste the white in all three of the rgb colors (make sure paste from background is turned on or each will over-right the last color)

simple for colors not being mixed except white but a bit tedious.

This will duplicate the original as if these were dumb strings.  You can of course modify later if you wish.

There is a way to convert your original to RGB but it is a bit tedious as long as you are only using Red/Green/Blue/White.

Create your new RBG channels.

open the RGB channels to have access to the 3  individual colors.

Set paste to paste from background (you will need when you paste the white protion)

Copy the red original strings to the red on the rgb string (full length of the sequence and use paste by time)

Do the same for each of the red strings (to the red of each of the RGB strings.

Same for Green  and for blue.

for the white paste the white in all three of the rgb colors (make sure paste from background is turned on or each will over-right the last color)

simple for colors not being mixed except white but a bit tedious.

This will duplicate the original as if these were dumb strings.  You can of course modify later if you wish.

This is what I did this for my tree, spider web, and even my new arches:  It took a lot of time but I only had to do it once, and I can reuse it.

In the sequence editor in a track that is not track 1:

I created a group of one strand of the original tree, then copied that group 50 times (once for each pixel) --  (My original tree was also red, green, white)  Repeat for the remaining strands.

Create a group of all of these (I called mine old tree copy)

copy the CCRs to the same track, and remove the macros from the track. 

you can then copy from "old tree copy" and paste it into you new tree.  (White becomes blue though)  Which you can solve by doing the above but with 3 copies of the blue strand, and then pasting foreground.

Export the Channel configuration and import it into your other sequences and the all you need to do is the copy/paste maneuver .

If you leave the original tree in the sequence too, you can paste shared trees into the old tree then copy/paste into he CCR tree too. 

Oh a mouse recorder/playback program like ghost mouse can make repetitive tasks a little easier too.

Hi lowepg, If you will just be using your RGW colors on that specific sequence.

Take a look at BobO's. RGB convertor tool. I used it on a wowlights sequence with arches. I was a little limited on colors, you only have RGB to use. It worked great.

This may be just the thing for you. The video he did, was for my wowlights sequence and arches.

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you need further info

Best,

David