Light-O-Rama Forums

Glitch that causes all lights in two controllers to kick on

prevue12

This year I have a glitch in two controllers that cause all the lights plugged into them to kick on for short periods of time, almost like a flash/strobe effect. I have tried using two different computers to control the show, replaced the network cables going to it and it still happened. I used some of the sequences from last year with the same result.  it's seems odd that it is two controllers and not all of them?  any ideas or help would be appreciated. I am using six CTB16PC's and the two that are not working right are right beside each other, also  have 4 CCRs, on the network.

Swap out your cat5 cables one at a time
I had the same issues this year
some lights would stay on and others where way off time
I use 12 LOR boxes and the very last cat5 was causing the 4th and 7th boxes to go crazy
Good luck

Keeping your Cat 5 cables away from any of the A.C. wires to or from the controllers.

This is solid advice. I had issues until I started to pay attention to where the cat 5 cables are run.

If you created a visualizer file for your set-up run your sequence with the visualizer running.  It picks up some things that are not obvious in your sequences.  This includes your short bursts of light that you described here.

I had one sequence doing the same thing that you described.  I did not notice anything in that area when viewing the sequence in the editor, but when run through the visualizer it showed a quick burst of light.  I cleared out that area, and the burst went away.

thanks for the adivce.

I moved all my network cables as far from power as I could and still had flashing/strobing. I then went and added one controller at a time so I could check to see when the problem started. I tracked it down to when I added my controller #5. I then replaced the network cables going into and out of that controller, with no success. I then installed my spare controller to see if it was the controller, no success. I then unplugged one of the cords that power the controller, this stopped the problem. I tried this with the original and the replacement controller with the same outcome, the stobe/flashing stopped. Rather confused at the moment.

For this year, I converted ALL of my controllers from 30 Amps to a single 15 Amp feed.  I never needed 30 AMPS to drive the lights off of any controller so I removed one plug and tied the two 115 Volt feeds together inside the box.  Things are working much better and I no longer need to provide an extension cord with multiple outlets.  I currently am using 1602's and CTB16's.

Remember that all of the Cat-5 network is common. Just checking 1 or 2 of the cables may not find the problem. You must check the entire network to find if you have a bad cable. ... Of course, the problem will be in the LAST cable or connector that you check. That's the way it always seems to work.