Light-O-Rama Forums

show length

nunofernandes

got my sequences ready to go for Christmas. feeling accomplished being that its not even thanksgiving yet. i have about 30 minutes worth of sequences to go through, question is..... how long and how often do you all run your shows??

I had my show at 56 minutes when it started running it Oct 1st.  I have since cut out a few songs and it is down to 32 minutes looping for 3 hours.  

I expect mine to run about 20 minutes when I start in 33 days, and a little longer after a bit as I expect to get one or two more songs sequenced sometime mid-season.  I will loop the show with no breaks except for an announcement or two.

You should be able to manage your traffic based on the length and frequency of your shows. Catering and adjusting your show to your local viewer’s idiosyncrasies over time. I took a different approach than many here on the forum. I use 67 sequences (21% mine) that run from 5:30p to 11:00p. Some songs play only once or twice with newer songs playing more frequently. The schedule is posted on my website and I’ve found that it works well for viewers in my city. The traffic is spread out throughout the evening. I’ve had many viewers watch and then return over a period of a few nights.

My house is visible from a nearby intersection and the active show draws in new cars for a  taste and then they return later for a longer viewing. Since the schedule is posted, repeat viewers know when to arrive to see their favorites.

I think each show’s creator develops a sense of what works best over time and not one approach is necessarily better or worse than the other.

this will be my third year with a light display, but only the first year at this house. not sure how the traffic will flow. i was thinking of having a 30 minute show and 30 minutes of static, but from what i can tell it seems that no one really runs their displays static at all.

thank for all the great feedback.

They don't want to see static.

You've spent too much money and invested too much time not to play it loud and long.

+1 Mega Arch... What I have done (as this is now my 4th year) is starting at 5PM, right before it starts getting dark, I will run 1 hour of random Christmas music with a repeating sequence... I start the synchronized show which is 1 hour of different songs, from from 6 until 10 ... I found that most people have a tolerance of at the most 15 minutes then move on... Each year we are getting more regular traffic, and folks come around several times during the season and get to see/hear different songs... But as MA said, they come for the music and lights.... If they want to see static lights, I have plenty of neighbors who do that, and many of these displays are awesome as well. 

32 Days until lights on for me....

I have 40 songs and it repeats from 5p 10p except on friday and Saturday til 11... and new Years Eve, Til 2.

this will be my third year with a light display, but only the first year at this house. not sure how the traffic will flow. i was thinking of having a 30 minute show and 30 minutes of static, but from what i can tell it seems that no one really runs their displays static at all.

thank for all the great feedback.

I Kind  of do a static portion of my show. I run my Halloween show until 10:00 pm and then from 10:00 to 10:30 I loop a 10 minute scary sounds of the night sequence that is mostly static with the exception of some blinking eyes and subtle lights fades. I do this only for the Halloween show. For the Christmas show when the Music stops that's all she wrote. 

I run mine at about 25-30 minutes looping with a 3-5 minute transition so people can see all lights on.

When I run the show longer traffic piles up.

Herb

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to aim for about 20 minutes per loop of the show. I have about 40 minutes worth of songs so I will use different songs per night. Just need to sit down and figure out what combo of songs per night I want to do and get it all set up. Getting closer to lights on. :) can't wait. First year here.

My loop is 17 and a half minutes (with greeting, thx, 6 songs).  I'm just going to loop it continuously. 

Good luck... its my first year too and I'm waiting for just a slight warm-up to finish putting stuff up. 

Edited by jrock_at_rons

I started putting up lights but we're in for a cold stretch now in the north east. It's going to be a painful couple of weekends in the cold until lights on... can't wait

Thanks for the feedback everyone.