Light-O-Rama Forums

35/70 light strings vs 50/100 light strings

FarrOut

Is there a difference in the bulbs?

Logically it seems that the bulbs would be different between the two types, but I've never seen replacements rated by voltage/count.

Is there a difference in the bulbs?

Logically it seems that the bulbs would be different between the two types, but I've never seen replacements rated by voltage/count.

Max's profound knowledge is seconded by yours truly. Admittedly, it's been a few years (quite a few actually) since I've bought any packages of incan replacement bulbs, but they were almost always labeled by their voltage.

To find the voltage of various lights (incans) divide 120 by the number of bulbs in the string. Using bulbs rated for less voltage will make them bright and quite short-lived. Using bulbs rated for higher voltage will cause them to be very dim, if they light at all.

It helps to be part Sherlock. As my good friend George says, take the 120V and divide it by the number of bulbs. But you also need to understand to use 35 as the number and not 70. And 50 not 100. There is a law and my spelling might not be the best. But Look for Kirchhoff Law. That says the sum of voltage drops has to equal to the voltage applied. in your case each load drops the same voltage. But for anyone reading this. Note if you mix certain color LEDs this Kirchhoff law might kick into the mix.

Well when asked if there is a difference. I was assuming you might be or need to be looking at replacement bulb packages.

Making fun of the nerd is not a good idea when asking questions.

Edited by Max-Paul

• The topic was locked