Light-O-Rama Forums

An example of an elaborate Whole House model

smeighan

A user built a whole house model for his display.

His Custom model for his house was 300 wide by 140 high.

He came to us because one model (out of the 50) is color shifted. I dont see the issue so I have passed it on to the xlights dev team (dpitts,djulien, dkulp, matt brown,frank4).

It must be the model is off by a channel but i dont understand how it plays correctly in the NUTCRACKER tab and is wrong in the PREVIEW tab.

I am sure we will find it.

So here is a video to this amazing whole house model

BTW, he did not send me his audio file so i just added Carol of the Bells. This is why his effects do not align to my music.

WOW!  That takes time.  I just did my roof\garage\grass outline and it was only 602.  How many is that?

Looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is impressive. So is there a video on how to this as far a an outline of the house. I would love to build a model of my house outline

Edited by robin1373

Wow that is impressive. So is there a video on how to this as far a an outline of the house. I would love to build a model of my house outline

Its easy to do but you have to visualize your house and your channel numbers. 

Here is how I did it.  I took a look at my LOR channel configuration and added up the total number of pixels necessary to get from the left to right and top to bottom so I had the model width as 200 and the height as 200.  the first one on my list was the lower gutter which is 50 pixels long so started numbering sorta where I thought that should be since as you can see I line my grass which sticks out further to the left. So the lower gutter is 1 to 50.   Next on my LOR config is my upper gutter which is 43 pixels long so that was 51-93.   Lining the grass along the left was way down on my LOR config so its 489 to 548.  Like I said very very time consuming and attention to detail is extremely important.  I created a spreadsheet to simplify things.  I would start out by mapping all your channels that way to can easily go left to right.  When you are all done and create a sequence you should be able to copy out of your xlight sequence which you converted to LMS straight into your sequence.   

There may be an easier way to do it but this worked for me.  

zvfZ8Ha.png

mDJQ0O4.png

jE2ZBP8.png

Thanks for the reply I guess the part i do not understand is how to get the outline to show up in the picture

Thanks for the reply I guess the part i do not understand is how to get the outline to show up in the picture

Preview\Models\New

Change "Display AS" to "Custom".  Then set the height and width.  This can always been modified later.  

Now that I look at mine It seems odd that I have to drive over the grass to get into the garage.....might need to modify that slightly

Edited by ShaggySS

ok one more question after you make the custom model and the grid appears on the right what do you put in each of the squares?  I know that is where you draw the outline of the house but what do you put in the squares ?

Thank you 

The squares you want to put the numbers in the order you want them to copy over into LOR.  So if you look at my above LOR sequence snipit you will notice that LGutter is first on the list and since its 50 pixels long  it will be numbers 1 to 50.  I put 1 in the first box where the strip starts and then 2...3 all the way to 50.  My garage which I have shortened to garage 1 left (G1L) is quite a way down on my list and if you take a moment to figure out my spreadsheet you will notice the last column is the start so the bottom of my left garage is numbers 230 to 251 and the garage top starts at 252 and goes to 278.  See the images below.  The first shows my custom grid and below it is the zoomed section of where that is. Hopefully that helps.

CVFvTnV.png

jBdMb3y.png

Yes That helps!!! Thanks so much my last question is If i have a string say over my garage door and half of it is on universe 1 and the other half os on universe 2 how to you input thoes numbers. So i guess my question is how to you change between universes. Thanks again for all your help 

There is a great, new present coming to all of you who do whole house models in xlights. I wont say more until dave pitts finalizes his code. I will say that it is large enough of a change that his release will be xlights 3.5.0 from our current 3.4.24

very exciting.

Yes That helps!!! Thanks so much my last question is If i have a string say over my garage door and half of it is on universe 1 and the other half os on universe 2 how to you input thoes numbers. So i guess my question is how to you change between universes. Thanks again for all your help 

That is the part I had a hard time on when trying to figure out how to do this the first time and to explain it the easiest ....it doesn't matter............................. if all you are going to do is create effects in xlights and copy the section into an LOR sequence.  That is how I use it.  I use xlights to create a bunch of effects that I want for the song and then I copy and paste them in.  Keep in mind if you you are copying from an xlights sequence which was converted to LOR when you paste your sequence into an existing LOR sequence it doesn't care what channels are what.  Thats why I make sure I number them in the same order I want to paste them...in channel order.  I have not taken the time to figure out how to map everything in xlights so I can play them though this.  I know the sequences are much smaller and easier to manager but I am curious to see whats coming out in the next version before I invest too much time.  

Hope that makes sense.  I wasn't sure what I was doing would work until I pasted my first sequence in and the effects that it creates are amazing! Huge file sizes, but so worth it!

• The topic was locked