Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange behavior with multiple networks

alaskastudio

Just wondering if anyone else is this issue. I have 4 LOR networks that I program to. Last year I was able to take my laptop and test one network out of the 4 without issues, but this year the program fritz's out and cant control one network by itself through the sequence editor unless I plug in all 4 usb/network adapters (dont need to plug in a cat5 to the adapter though). I am using the correct port numbers and everything, but if the LOR program cant send the signal to all of the usb adapters the software will run incorrectly. I have tried on two of my computers with the same results.

Here is a test to duplicate:

1.) create a new sequence (I'm using Wizards of Winter for music)

2.) Set timing grid to 0.05 seconds

3.) Add three CMB16D units to the regular Network

4.) Add 4 CCR 50 pixel devices to Aux A Network.

5.) Drop in a bunch of random blinky stuff

6.) connect only one USB/Network adapter (no LOR controllers needed)

7.) Make sure control lights is selected under Play>Control Lights

8.) Press the space bar to start playing.

9.) wait a few seconds and press the space bar again, and LOR keeps playing for a second.

From what I can figure out here is what is happening. LOR is trying to send the signals to all networks, but since it cant find them all it tries to cram all signals through the one network adapter causing all sorts of problems including lag in the software, light controllers not responding correctly, etc. If you remove several of the channels and commands the issue clears up some. This means that is goes the other way for those of us programming fast paced songs. In my case I have:

4 - CBTPC16's and 3 CMB24's on the regular network (57.6K Speed using USB485B adapter on Com3)

4 - CCR's on AUX A (500K Speed using high speed adapter on Com4)

8 - CCP's on AUX B (500K Speed using high speed adapter on Com5)

8 - CCB's on AUX C (500K Speed using high speed adapter on Com6)

I program in 0.05 sec increments, and when doing chase sequences, fast color shifting, basically anything where a lot of commands are sent the problem gets worse and worse. However, if I plug in all for of my adapters (without a network cable even plugged in) it runs flawlessly. The big problem is when running tests on individual networks. I really don't want to carry a laptop with a ton of adapters just hanging there. I know it is a trivial thing, but it might be part of a bigger issue, and this issue wasn't even there last year before I ran the software update (upgraded from 3.10.? to 3.11.2).

Both computers I tested on are running Windows 8.1.

Main computer is:

Alienware Windows 8.1

Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40Ghz

16GB Ram

250 GB SSD Hard Drive (all files and software are running from this drive)

1TB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive

Nvidia Gforce GTX 670 (2GB On board & 2GB Shared Memory)

No other apps running in the background allowing fully use of all resources to the sequence editor.

I found a work around by going into the the network configuration and changing all Com Ports to None except for the one I am testing, but it is still a hassle to change that network, close LOR, reopen the sequence and try again. Anyone know of a faster way to test one network at a time?

If memory serves, the RS485s need to be hooked up if they are set up in the Network Preferences. Your work-around is the other option, but a lot of folks don't like doing that. 

I know I forgot to add my second network back in in my second year after testing. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working properly. When I finally figured out what was wrong, I'm sure you've done the forehead slap and said you dumb Tennessee redneck, oh wait, that was what I said :D

It have 12 onboard usb, 4 of which are 3.0 the others are all 2.0. I run the network off of the 3.0, but I don't think LOR the usb 3.0 speeds.

All of my usb 3.0 devices have SS USB connectors instead of the standard USB connector.

Have you limited the background processes and disconnected from the internet when trying to run? Disabled the AV too? Try the task manager to see if there's anything trying to eat up CPU time on you but other than all that, you might consider trying everything on a different machine. I'm thinking its possible the machine's architecture doesn't talk to the USB ports at a reasonable speed, therefore they can't communicate with the devices attached. I know the machine's capability of accessing the hard drive and communicating with the GPU is extreme but serial devices might be taking a serious back-seat.

Yes, I have tried terminating all non essential programs and services and still arrive at the same results. When this happens if I monitor the memory usage on LOR it spikes to over 90% of the processor(s) and memory being used by LOR continuously until stopped. When running properly it only consumes less than 10% on this computer.

Just for fun I tried it on my work computer and achieved the same results which make 3 computers in 3 different environments having the same issue as well as some of the above posters. Like I said not a huge deal as there is a work around, but LOR might look at doing something more user/computer friendly in the future as more and more people venture into RGB and multiple networks.

Work computer specs are:

Windows 8.1

Dual Xeon E5-1660 v3 Processor(s) (each is 8 cores, 3.0 Ghz, 20M on board cache)

NVIDIA Quadro K5200 8GB

64GB Ram

400 GB SSD Hard Drive (12 Gb/Sec)

4 1TB 7,200 Near Line Drive on Raid 1 (6 Gb/Sec)

There is no reason that my work computer should ever choke on any LOR product, but I still get the same behavior. LOR was also able to maintain 85%+ usage on memory and Processors. When I connect all usb network dongles it peaks at less than 5% usage and holds at around 3%.