Light-O-Rama Forums

Wanting to cross over to RGB lights for everything.

jasoncampbell83

As mentioned earlier, I recommend http://www.amazon.co...s=rgb led strip   Its waterproofed, and bright.  I'm making one of the stick figure outfits for my grandson this halloween out of it.

I appreciate the link. I had already added to the cart per your recommendation but in reading about power supplies etc, I thought that less LED per meter might help for my plans. Maybe you can help. I would be interested in outlining my roof. I am looking at some long runs though. I know that voltage decreases as the length increases. Seems like the easiest way to handle the roof would be to use the lights you recommend and a controller for the roof only.  Any ideas? I was thinking of doing runs no bigger than 20 feet to try to handle voltage drop.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone used these:

SUPERNIGHT 16.4FT 5M SMD 5050 Waterproof 300LEDs RGB Color Ribbons 

• 2 weeks later...

I am no pro but this can show you my set up and I just started last November.

http://youtu.be/dmHfoBfQ3D0?list=UUbVS55olN2fko0FMk1E5oZg

This post was very informative, Thanks.   I learn more visually than by reading.  How/where did you learn about how to wire up the controller card. 

If I had known what I know now before getting into this (last august), I would have gone straight to RGB. My original plan was to buy 4 more LOR AC controllers for my second year. At this point, not only will I not be adding any, I will not even be using more than 1 or 2 of the four I already have. When it actually works out cheaper to build an RGB DC controller than it is to buy a LOR AC controller.....it becomes a no brainer.  RGB takes your display from "Wow" to "Holy crap that's cool!" The cost really isn't much higher if you look into the DYI route rather than the higher-priced LOR RGB products.

RGB seems overwhelming at first, but so did the AC controllers. Once you get into it, you start to realize that the fear of "I can't do this" is part of the rush of the hobby, and it turns out that it's really not hard at all. Now I am stuck wondering what to do with all the AC mini lights I stockpiled before I knew about RGB?

On another note; This site, and the people on it, are PRICELESS when you get into this hobby.  Greatest group of people I have ever encountered in a hobby (and I have/ have had many hobbies). There are great people on forums in my other hobbies, but this site is different. I have not encountered 1 troll on this board. There seems to be no real competition among members.  When someone creates something, it seems they can't wait to share how they did it, rather than holding the mindset "I want my display to be better than yours". Just a really, really great group of people that are truely happy to help newbies.  Maybe it's the holiday spirit that everyone in this hobby keeps all year long?

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 1

...... On another note; This site, and the people on it, are PRICELESS when you get into this hobby.  Greatest group of people I have ever encountered in a hobby (and I have/ have had many hobbies). There are great people on forums in my other hobbies, but this site is different. I have not encountered 1 troll on this board. There seems to be no real competition among members.  When someone creates something, it seems they can't wait to share how they did it, rather than holding the mindset "I want my display to be better than yours". Just a really, really great group of people that are truely happy to help newbies.  Maybe it's the holiday spirit that everyone in this hobby keeps all year long?

Agree 100% on the spirit of this forum - when it comes to helping others out... A little venom does come out from time to time in the Coffee shop area - but it does at my house too... And at work ... And at church... And at....

I personally like the LED look and I'm spending thousands this year on non-RGB lights and controllers etc.. But that's what's so cool - the LOR and DIY routes both have great improvements available for satisfying anyone's taste.