Light-O-Rama Forums

INSTANT SEQUENCE VS AUTO SEQUENCE

roverdish

I saw a mention in the Planet Christmas magazine about an educational class concerning not only the "instant sequence" but also an undiscovered new "auto sequence" feature. see page 7 of the april 2014 planet christmas issue right hand column

Is it myth or magic and where can I find it? I'm thinking perhaps it is the best of Super Star and Nutcracker melded together.

Thanks

Chip

I am not aware of a new "auto sequence" feature.

It is possible that the article was referring to the "Instant Sequence" feature when it used the term "auto sequence."

I am not aware of a new "auto sequence" feature.

It is possible that the article was referring to the "Instant Sequence" feature when it used the term "auto sequence."

Your software is evolving all by itself

Thanks for the reference in the Planet Christmas magazine. That is a typo, it should say "SuperStar Instant Sequence and the new Instant Sequence Features"

I am working on making Instant Sequence less blinky. I am still working on it, hopefully will have something by Christmas Expo time!

• Like 1

Instant sequencing is about as creative as a strobe light, IMHO, ymmv ... Plus nutcracker is so easy ... I can do a song in an hour easily.

• Like 1

Instant sequencing can be more creative. By changing the TCM's properly timed every 6 to 30 seconds the sequence is more interesting. I am using both Nutcracker and SS. For my uses sometimes one is better than the other. IMHO.

Thanks for both of these programs.

I am looking forward to less blinky

I used SS last year and loved it...it is pricey...however...the auto-sequence stuff did not seem great to me on the visualizer...hopefully it will get better...

I LOVED the other built in sequences....FAN...WIPES...etc...

Are there plans to add more??

For example here is my WIZARDS set using some of the built in tools...my lights were simply GECE pixels...lining the house and driveway..windows .... etc..

http://youtu.be/D6fmkSe1qJ8

Kevin

I hope to add more effects next year. This year the things I plan to add are:

1) Wrapped Tree feature

Wrap a tree with rgb lights the way you normally wrap lights around a tree and SuperStar will map the lights to a square sequencing grid so you can do horizontal effects, vertical effects, and spiral effects.

2) Improve Instant Sequence to be less blinky

I have a different technique for applying the effects when doing instant sequence that helps it be less blinky. But realize that sequences done by a human will always be better. And Instant Sequence works best if you use it for 30-45 seconds of the song and sequence the rest manually. And if you do use Instant Sequence for the whole song you should do 15-20 seconds at a time using different themes, colors, and movements. Here is a song I did entirely using Instant Sequence:

The House On Christmas Street

• 3 weeks later...

Brian

I have to tell you that the anticipation of the next release has me checking the forum everyday, I mean I'm on the edge of my seat. At night I dream of "less blinky" and "more visualizer fixtures". It's almost like visions of sugar (RGB) plums dance in my head while I'm sleeping.

I have been sequencing somewhat in earnest this year trying to create quantity over quality. (We had 18 hours of sequenced music over 96 channels last year, all led strings, but that has changed with RGB channels added) Now I find myself eagerly anticipating this new release as a way to increase quality without sacrificing quantity.

Any idea at all how close we are to the new release? If it is not going to be ready soon I will continue my sequencing without it. If you and LOR are close to release I will hold off on sequencing a while. I would prefer to know sooner than later if we are not going to see the new release soon.

No pressure, just need to know.

Thanks

Chip

I finished most of the coding last week and showed it at the Lone Star Holidays convention last weekend. I will also be showing it at the Christmas Expo in Biloxi this weekend. The code is complete enough that I can show it, but there are some rough edges and bugs that need to be ironed out. And I won't be able to do that until after the Expo. I expect to be finished with the coding by the middle of August. So I wouldn't expect a release any sooner than the end of August. But realize this is not a promise, unexpected things happen and I can't release it until it is fully functional and free of bugs. So as I say, it won't be any sooner than the end of August.

Also, I should manage expectations. I have worked hard to do what I can to make sequences look better on regular non-rgb lights, but the computer generated sequences will never look as good as ones created manually.

I am aware of the limitations and I still love your software the best for sequencing.

I have started using audacity's onset detector (vamp plugin) to create timings for different songs from 2 to 6 seconds apart. Timings come out to 3 decimals so slight rounding is required in SS.

Then I sequence seqments in SS changing my TCM's at those timings. Interesting because of the constant changes but, as you stated and I understand, not as beautiful as when humanly made.