Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

dan24438

Ok so i'm doing the research on which fm transmitter I should be using and looking at the reviews and the ease of use i'm leaning towards a CHZ-05B. However on amazon i can only find the .5 version not the .1/.5 version. What kind of risk do i run with the fcc running one of these at .5? Or am i a dumb ass and the .5 version can still be turned down to .1? Thanks for all the help.

If you dig into the reviews you will find where they suggest using attenuators to dampen the transmission. They also tell you how to put it in low power mode.

Ok so i'm doing the research on which fm transmitter I should be using and looking at the reviews and the ease of use i'm leaning towards a CHZ-05B. However on amazon i can only find the .5 version not the .1/.5 version. What kind of risk do i run with the fcc running one of these at .5? Or am i a dumb ass and the .5 version can still be turned down to .1? Thanks for all the help.

I bought the .1/.5 & it works pretty good for where I live. I bought mine from here....   http://www.elecsky.com/100mw-500mw-power-adj-76108mhz-home-fm-transmitter-silver-p-41.html   It has been good to me these past 3 years.  For something better go for the EDM FM transmitter.....   http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edmdesign.com%2F&ei=lXA9U4yDL5PFsATf04DYCQ&usg=AFQjCNEE19ZJLJc4caN8dzQyjhEf7jRwtw&bvm=bv.63934634,d.cWc&cad=rja

Edited by lightzilla

I don't know if I want to pay that much for the EDM model, does anyone have any thoughts on the Fail Safe model from Amazon. Looks like it's about $60? Its it worth it to spend twice the amount and get the EDM?

A word to the noobies. Dont walk away from the Whole House Transmitter, RUN! There is only a hand full that will tell you that it works for their purpose. I will tell you it is the only transmitter that I know of that is FCC approved as is. I will also hit you over the head running one of those .5 or worse 5 watt transmitters. You take not only your legal life into your hands, but the whole communities legal lifes in your hands. All we need as a community is for FCC to get a hard on for Christmas light decorators that use FM transmitters blasting our illegal stations across town.

Remember we only need a good clean signal for about 3 houses up and down the street. A mile away is really beyond not only the letter of the law but the intent too. Start walking all over someones favorite radio station and watch how long before bad feelings will lead to destroyed display to a call to the local FCC office. Have fun, but not at the expense of your neighbors.

• Like 1

Ya, that's exactly why I am avoiding the whole house transmitter, have not heard one positive thing about them.

Totally agree and understand about the range thing. I saw one display and when I was driving away I still received a signal 1 mile away from it!  This was in a subdivision and I was thinking no way is this in compliance with the FCC.

To me it doesn't even make sense. I just want a transmitter to put out good sound so when people are in front of the house they can hear it. It just wouldn't be logical to have the signal reach all the way down the street when nobody can even see the lights. Why would I want that?

Since I'm using the MP3 controller with the card I was going to put the transmitter in another enclosure and have it outside. Maybe drill a small hole for the antenna?

Do they come with a way to adjust the range of the signal?  Am I better off spending more money for the EDM or is the Fail Safe model enough?

I've had an EDM since 2008 and it sounds great!  I picked up a CZH-05B last year and it also sounds great!  The CZH has gain controls for both line and mic inputs and all you need is the rubber-ducky antenna that comes with it.  You'll like either one.

Whatever you do eventually buy, plan on ordering two.  These transmitters are not an item most of us can walk into a store and pull off the shelf if one fails.  Without a spare, you're probably looking at a dead show for at least 2-3 days while waiting for the big brown truck to drop off another one.  I purchased 2 of the CZH-05B & am very happy with the performance and reliability of the one I have in service thus far.

I'll chime in and say that I am in the 1% to say the Whole House Transmitter works where I am at.  I bought it as part of the start up package 3 years ago.  After I purchased it I started seeing all these posts how it sucked!  This got me worried. 

After receiving it in the mail the first thing I did was test it.  I said if it didn't work I could always return it. 

It can be heard for one block.  This will be my 3rd year using it.

Whatever you do eventually buy, plan on ordering two.  These transmitters are not an item most of us can walk into a store and pull off the shelf if one fails.  Without a spare, you're probably looking at a dead show for at least 2-3 days while waiting for the big brown truck to drop off another one.  I purchased 2 of the CZH-05B & am very happy with the performance and reliability of the one I have in service thus far.

I hope you have tested your spare. Would be a real bummer if the spare is a dud. And you end up waiting 2 or 3 days for the replacement unit.

I hope you have tested your spare. Would be a real bummer if the spare is a dud. And you end up waiting 2 or 3 days for the replacement unit.

That's exactly what I did when the CZH model arrived. It sounded so good that I just never got around to replacing it with the EDM model that the CZH was backing up.