Light-O-Rama Forums

Snow Falling Effect

Dave Kaser

Dave Kaser wrote:

My daughter wants me to string up some lights then control them to make it appear that snow is falling (something you don't see very often in Tucson).

:shock:

Any ideas?

This: http://www.lightflurries.com/ ?

OR

If you 'need' to string up lights, maybe many rows of horizontal minis that chase going down? This could probably work, if sequenced properly, but would not be a very cost-effective effect.

Dave

Look at my Avatar I have been stringing lights in my trees for many years. I hang 50 strings of the 100 ct minis. This year I am increasing the strings by 15 and will be adding 3 LOR channels to control them. I am going to use/try several effects to twinkle them.

I don't know if this will give you the falling effect you would like but I can say it looks very good in my setup.

Twinkle

Twinkle with off cells every other cell

Shimmer

Shimmer with off cells every other cell

Vary the power on all the above.

I use the .05 setting for the sequence to allow me to do the off cell and get a better effect.

All these combinations will be used across the 3 channels so the the effect will be varied on the channels.

Anthony

You dont vary the power of the shimmer or twinkle. You can make you own twinkle effect by turning off cells and then the cells you dont have turned off you can vary the power there.

Anthony

Thanks all for the ideas. I like the light (bascially a mirror ball with spotlight) from Light Flurries. I guess that after spending over $1,000 bucks on my Halloween display, another $90 for Christmas is probably not too bad.
Dave

BUT the snow flurry kit is not very well made. I have one and it is not a very 'rugged' or even moderately secure piece of equipment. It is also not water tight and you will have to "rig" something in the yard to use it.

I probably would NOT buy another one if it came up again.

BUT- I do like the way it looks.

Rusty