Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to start...RGB

rednosetbird

Hello all,

I have been trying to find info, on RGB dumb strips. Cant find enough info on this... have been looking and looking.... I think iam going to get the CMB24 with 8 ribbons. This is what I  am looking to do, I want to do my eves, windows, roof lines with them... can they be cut to size?? how far away can the box be away from them all?  How do you program them? Could point in in the correct direction... its getting old quick putting up 2 different colors around the house... and the wife wants to add 2 more colors...so this is going to be a good excuse to buy this set up!! 

Hi Rednosebird,

First realize that you will not be able to have more than one color on at a time, unlike the multicolorstring aka mega string. But the range of colors you can create with a RGB string is like 256 at lease. Although you wont be able to tell from one shade to the next. Ok so you mention a dumb string with a CMB24. Ok so you will be using 3 channels for each ribbon. Ok, so the basic colors of Red, Blue, and green will be just taking one channel and turning it on, one at a time. Now if you add a equal amount of red and green you get yellow. An equal amount of Red and Blue will give you a form of purple. And an equal amount of Blue and Green will give you aqua I think. If you use more Red than Green I think you will get an Orange. Its all about the mix of the 3 colors. Or intensity of the 3 channels settings.

That's where i started this year. I have a 16 channel DC Board that I am driving two RGB Rainblow floods from Seasonalentertainment LLC. I stuck them inside some globes and I will be playing with them this year.

I want to take this to the next level though and drive each "pixel" independantly. I've seen tonnes of videos and pics of guys doing this but, I haven't found any reference as to how they are wired, how they are programmed, and how you address each pixel individually. It seems to me it has something to do with the DMX world but, again I feel at a loss.

Hi Rednosebird,

First realize that you will not be able to have more than one color on at a time, unlike the multicolorstring aka mega string. But the range of colors you can create with a RGB string is like 256 at lease. Although you wont be able to tell from one shade to the next. Ok so you mention a dumb string with a CMB24. Ok so you will be using 3 channels for each ribbon. Ok, so the basic colors of Red, Blue, and green will be just taking one channel and turning it on, one at a time. Now if you add a equal amount of red and green you get yellow. An equal amount of Red and Blue will give you a form of purple. And an equal amount of Blue and Green will give you aqua I think. If you use more Red than Green I think you will get an Orange. Its all about the mix of the 3 colors. Or intensity of the 3 channels settings.

Hello Max-Paul,

I do understand that I can only have one color on at a time and wont be able to control each pixel. I am looking to save some time of installing my c-9 strings around the house 2 times....now the wife wants green and red around it, I am going to try to sell her on the RGB. Was wondering if there are any videos on how to install the ribbons around windows....eves....if they can be cut or added to...Will there be enough power or to much???? I did read most of the LOR manual but did not cover any of this. When I sent a email to LOR there was a generic response. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Bill 

That's where i started this year. I have a 16 channel DC Board that I am driving two RGB Rainblow floods from Seasonalentertainment LLC. I stuck them inside some globes and I will be playing with them this year.

I want to take this to the next level though and drive each "pixel" independantly. I've seen tonnes of videos and pics of guys doing this but, I haven't found any reference as to how they are wired, how they are programmed, and how you address each pixel individually. It seems to me it has something to do with the DMX world but, again I feel at a loss.

:huh: LOL I know the feeling of being lost!!  I do hope someone can tell us how it is done or maybe its just me again over thinking things..... LIke I said in the post I want to do the dumb RGB strips....I don't want to control each Pixel but the whole string to save time and a big mess with all of those strings.

Hey rednose,

Basic rgb strips can be added to and cut. Some things to consider though is waterproofing the strips after you cut and or extend them.

Now I don't have the basic rgb strips as I chose to go LOR CCR for my eaves for future use. You can use those as dumb meaning controlling them as only 1 light or the maximum of 50 lights but they are handled differently since they are pixels and have their own controller/power supply. I used them mostly as 1 light in my halloween show. But I did cut those and extend them and dumb strips are very similar. 4 wires for extending. And silicone to weatherproof them after they are cut.

I use rgb dumb lights though. And I have one set about 60 to 70 feet from the controller. It has 150 bulbs. Typical dumb strip is 50 bulbs so to speak. So I say it should be similar for the strips you are considering. You could put 3 of those strips together and go about 70 feet away. BUT this depends on your supply cables and power supply. Bigger wire equals greater distance. I am using AWG 18 wire for reference. bigger wattage power supply means more lights per card. I use a 350 watt power supply. The best way to know is test BEFORE hanging them on the house.

Programming is done almost exclusively with the color fade tool in S3. Google it and see the many videos on its use.

I hung my strips on my eaves using glazing tape. Bought it from amazon and found the info in a post in this forum. Search glazing tape.

I plan to leave my strips up year round. So if that is not something you want to do then look for temporary solutions by searching this forum. Many suggestions out there.

I have other posts about the RGB stuff in the DMX section. You can go look there for more info too.

RGB is very nice to have. But I have to admit there are times I wish I had pixels. No way I would ever go incandescent simply because of power use and limited colors with one string. (wrapping the strings together is more work and bulbs falling off or blowing killing the strip. My rgbs are permanent and hopefully will last longer as they are advertised to do).

I used less than 100 watts for my entire yard this Halloween with rgb lights and had every color you could want AND I will be using the exact lights for Christmas. Just change out the pumpkins for stars and mini trees, move an elf into the zombies place and away I go. My tune to sign is incandescent and uses more power (120 watts) then my entire yard!

Pixels would allow me to sparkle the trees and bushes better though. So that is one area of improvement I would like. That and my sign.

Good luck,

Sax

Hello all,

I have been trying to find info, on RGB dumb strips. Cant find enough info on this... have been looking and looking.... I think iam going to get the CMB24 with 8 ribbons. This is what I  am looking to do, I want to do my eves, windows, roof lines with them... can they be cut to size?? how far away can the box be away from them all?  How do you program them? Could point in in the correct direction... its getting old quick putting up 2 different colors around the house... and the wife wants to add 2 more colors...so this is going to be a good excuse to buy this set up!! 

Here's most of the Forum discussions: http://www.dogpile.com/search/web?fcoid=485&fcop=&fpid=27&qall=rgb+dumb+strips&qexact=&qany=&qnone=&qimgc=All&qimgs=All&qlang=&qdomainf=Include&qdomain=forums.lightorama.com