Light-O-Rama Forums

Zara Radio and Vista - DTMF issues... again!

coasterbp

Hi. I used to run Zara Radio 1.6.2 on my XP tower, using DTMF start and stop tones with no issues.

Now I've using a more powerful computer to run shows and it runs Vista as it's OS. Now that I've swapped to this computer, I'm having issues getting Zara to respond to the DTMF tones. I've gone so far as to install the same exact sound card in the newer tower and I'm still not having any luck.

I'm hearing the tones play, but it isn't responding to them at all, even though the sound card is the same one from an older system that worked.

Does anyone know if there is something inherintly wrong with Vista that it wouldn't allow the DTMF tones to work?  I'm pretty sure that I've set the Satellite and Output settings correct in Zara and the DTMF detector is enabled. Do I have to use that Virtual Audio Cable to get it to work?

Can someone post some pics of their setup with VAC settings as well?

Thanks!

-=CoasterBP

True DTMF tones are a pair of tones together for each number of Ma-Bell's TTDS (Touch tone Dialing System), with that said, how are the tones being sent ? cable, wireless, in an MP3 ? on a cat 5 cable ?

I might be able to figure this out if I know the setup.

Greg

Better yet, what is sending the DTMF tones to Zara ?

Edited by a31ford

The tones are just an .mp3 file that zara plays to stop itself... there are settings that you use to for it to listen to the tones and mute outputs but it is tricky to get it set up correctly.

I had it working no problems this afternoon, wrote down all the settings and now that I've gone back to it, it's all screwed up again... don't understand why, with the SAME exact settings, that it would stop working.

-=CoasterBP

I know that Vista was Microsoft's "answer" to the movie and sound industries for copyright infringements, so, what M/S did, was if Vista "sensed" that the video or song was NOT the original (copy or hack) it would disable the sound functions (so you could watch a copied movie, BUT have no sound) It (Vista) is a warped version of XP, personally I would get RID of Vista.

What that said, all I can say is try the configuration on another computer (or if you have the time a different harddrive in this machine with XP or 7 or 8 on it instead.

The long and short of it, IMO it's Vista, not the hardware or programs that you are using........

Greg

... personally I would get RID of Vista.

I don't believe better computer advice has ever been given.

The quickest way I found to rid myself of Vista's bugs was to back down to XP or upgrade to Windows 7.  Either OS is far superior to Vista in just about every way that counts to a typical user.

I also had very suspect results when trying to use the DTMF tones to trigger starting and stopping of Zara...my question for you is exactly what are you using them to start and stop for?

I quickly realized I didnt need to rely on the tones to start/stop Zara...I simply used the actual scheduler to stop my radio feed to allow the show to take over...

Unless of course you have some sort of dynamic component to start/end times.... 

I use them to start Time/Temp/Humidity announces after every 2-3 songs during showtimes. Then when shows are over, I use it to start Zara up again to run all night/day until shows start again the next day.

Ever since I started with it, I've ZERO problems with it until now, when I've moved everything to the Vista computer. I don't think that I can revert back to XP on that machine, mainly because I wouldn't know how, but I think that I can upgrade it to 7....

-=CoasterBP

I use them to start Time/Temp/Humidity announces after every 2-3 songs during showtimes. Then when shows are over, I use it to start Zara up again to run all night/day until shows start again the next day.

Ever since I started with it, I've ZERO problems with it until now, when I've moved everything to the Vista computer. I don't think that I can revert back to XP on that machine, mainly because I wouldn't know how, but I think that I can upgrade it to 7....

-=CoasterBP

Yeah I would try to do an upgrade asap to see if that fixes your issue...beyond that, the only thing i can think of is to basically get very granular with your scheduling...literally setup a hard schedule where your 2-3 songs play...then stop...zara comes on for the 10-20 secs you need it to....then the next LOR sequence is scheduled to run...a bit tedious, but certainly doable...you will have to get hyperaccurate times as to your songs runtimes but again, totally doable...

If people want the time they should take a glance at their dashboard clock, their watch, or their phone.  Temp doesn't matter - it's a light show, not a weather report.  Can't remember the last time I heard anyone ask about humidity while watching the lights.

There - problem solved.

Let there be light...

Edited by George Simmons

If people want the time they should take a glance at their dashboard clock, their watch, or their phone.  Temp doesn't matter - it's a light show, not a weather report.  Can't remember the last time I heard anyone ask about humidity while watching the lights.

There - problem solved.

Let there be light...

Hehe...amen George!

Honestly I had a similar thought...while I do certainly include time/temp drops sprinkled in my non-show zara run radio broadcast, but that is just to give it more of a radio feel...def not something I would ever consider during my show....

Well, thanks for the opinions on how I should run my show, but honestly, I was looking for info on the Vista/DTMF issues.

Along with the Time/Temp/Humidity announces, I also run "Thanks for visiting" announces and show time updates. So it's not just something people can "just look at their watch" and find out.  And temp may not matter to you, but I like it being in there because I use the Demented Elf recordings that have nice holiday messages attached to them. And I've never had one complaint about it being in there.  It's only a 15 second break in the action, and yes, no one has asked for it to be there, but then again, no one ASKED for me to put a bunch of lights on my house and sync them to music, but I did it anyway.

So again, thanks for your opinion, but I was looking for help, not opinions on what you think I should have in my show. I'll just look elsewhere for help then. 

Good day to you all.

-=CoasterBP

• The topic was locked