Light-O-Rama Forums

Monster Guts Wiper Motor Interaction

dkoehler42

Just a heads up, I noticed that when I had my wiper motor from Monster Guts running, certain channels started behaving oddly.  I rebuilt the sequence and the show in case they had corrupted, ran the verifier(which checked out), and powercycled the boxes and computer.  As soon as I unplugged the wiper motor though, 99% of the problems stopped.  I don't know why it only happened on certain channels, and I did not check my other box.  I have two 1602 units with the blue circuit board.

I hope everyone's Halloween was happy!

You are not supposed run a motor directly from a LOR controller.  That is probably why the problems occured.

If you want to use a LOR channel to run a motor, the recommendation is to use a relay.  The LOR channel simply turns the relay on or off and the power to run the motor does not go through any of the LOR channels.

Jerry

Interesting.  I ran 2 motors all month long directly off of LOR without a single issue.  Beginners Luck?

FCG = 110v. gear motor. 

I also ran my casket all month as well and it was a 12v. wiper motor I pulled at the junkyard for $5-power comes from a 110 wall wort.

I used 2 relays to fire the smog machines-worked well.

I wonder its something in the circuit board of the MG motor? 

Is this something that happened after a while such as long term failure or just new out of the box and it caused issues? 

If the first is true I may have to redo my set-up for next year as I don't want to fry my system after only one season of use. 

I haven't seen anything in the manual about not running wiper or any other motors.  The only limitation is amperage.

The problem when using motors isn't necessarily the draw when running, it's the draw during start up. Plus is most likely sending interference into the controller. I have read some where on the Lor site not to run motors off of channels

Is there an LOR admin who could weigh into this debate?  I haven't seen anything about a motor, and I've been through the help/manual files.