Light-O-Rama Forums

Color spot lights and strobes (non DMX)

m1ke05

Tried the Spirit Of Halloween spotlights (LED) and let me start off by saying, they are not very LOR friendly. While they seem well built, and light output is excellent, they have several issues worth noting.

1. In continuous ON mode, they take (despite being LED) about 1 second to actually come on. Timing a song this way in my opinion would be a nightmare.

2. As a direct correlation to problem number one, shimmer and twinkle effects, have horrendous results.

3. These spotlights do not fade up, or fade down, nor do they respond to intensity input....... AT ALL.

As a standalone, I would recommend them, but for use with LOR, I would not.

Now more to my post topic. I need suggestions on what led spotlights people are using. I would prefer black light, green, red and white. Must be for outdoor use and obviously LOR comparable (no DMX PLEASE)

Thanks!!!

Can you provide a link or pic of the item your referring too?

The Spirit of Halloween item I'm referring to is here

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/gm-led-black-strobing-spotlite/?w=Led%20spotlight&UTM_campaign=Search:SC:Led%20spotlight

But I'm more interested in knowing what everyone else uses for spotlights/floods and strobe lights that are not DMX

Edited by m1ke05

I personally make my own, but quite a few people buy the floods from Ebay or from Ray Wu and modify them.  The one you showed, does it just plug in to an AC outlet?  Can it be taken apart to be modified?

Edited by scubado

It plugs in to a 3 prong AC outlet. The website does not state this but they are out door rated. There are 3 Phillips head screws on top that look to give access to ever thing inside. Its housed in a metal housing and painted black. There is a water proof selector switch on the back that switches the light from strobe (more of a medium flashing) to solid on. 

Its really a shame that they don't work more like LED Christmas lights because they look like they would last a long time and the colors are very vibrant.  

This has been brought up in the forum about a month ago with the same results; don't use them as LOR devices.

There's an electronic transformer inside that takes about 1-2 seconds to ramp up; trying to externally dim them is futile. Like dimming a VCR.

LOR is now supplying an RGB 10 watt LED floodlight that is rated for outdoor use; I have two and they work great from a LOR DC controller.

Shimmers, flickers, dims; it all works like it's supposed to.

This time of the year I don't have time to reverse engineer something that doesn't work very well.

It can be done and others have done it, but expect to spend time and soldering small parts.

Go with something that already works, in my opinion.

• Like 1

i bought some off of ebay similar to the spirit ones. I thought it would make life easier to use 110V lights on regular LOR controllers as i already have them. No problem with them coming on right away but dimming doesnt work.

I wish I could use the RGB floods from LOR but alas I don't have any of the additional DC and DMX equipment to use them. I just went with a standard Halogen 120w Stake Light made by Utilitech, under $10 at lowes and $6 for the light.  So much for plug and play LED idea :( 

I wish I could use the RGB floods from LOR but alas I don't have any of the additional DC and DMX equipment to use them. I just went with a standard Halogen 120w Stake Light made by Utilitech, under $10 at lowes and $6 for the light.  So much for plug and play LED idea :(

The LOR DC controller will work with either the LOR network or DMX.

Since you already have an LOR network, it will work just fine.

It may cost $150 to make it happen, but you will get what you want.

Thanks for all the great input guys/gals. The DC controller will be on the list for next year. 

Edited by m1ke05

Ken...I'm curious are you using the LOR floods as they came (16 foot cable) or did you have to modify the wiring? I'm looking to spread my floods out over a large area and am wondering what others are using for extending the wire length

Ken...I'm curious are you using the LOR floods as they came (16 foot cable) or did you have to modify the wiring? I'm looking to spread my floods out over a large area and am wondering what others are using for extending the wire length

I used the factory 16 foot wire, but I would think you could extend these 30-40 feet, maybe more.

Your mileage may vary, so experiment with it. Try to keep your wire gage 14-16 to reduce any voltage drop.

I have used 4 conductor trailer light wire for previous projects; it's already weatherproof and so are the rubber connectors that usually come with it.