Light-O-Rama Forums

Remote access to LOR

caniac

If I can pull it off this season I would like to look at being able to sit across the street with beverage in hand and be able to tweak my sequences.   Once done upload it to my show laptop, stop show, add changed sequence, restart show, rinse and repeat as necessary.  Any ideas? thoughts?

Have a wifi network setup that reaches 300+ft.

Edited by caniac

remote desktop from your outside machine to your inside machine and open the LOR software and go at it.. would imagine that would work just fine.

show pc is XP, sequencing pc is W7?   will that work?

does remote desktop allow for file transfer?

Edited by caniac

yes

Just as long as you have wireless AND you can connect accross the street.

show pc is XP, sequencing pc is W7?   will that work?

does remote desktop allow for file transfer?

doubt you will be doing any file transwer.  you will actually be logged into your show machine from your outside machine.  any changes you make and save will actually be done so on the show machine, not the machine you are using outside.

doubt you will be doing any file transwer.  you will actually be logged into your show machine from your outside machine.  any changes you make and save will actually be done so on the show machine, not the machine you are using outside.

I do 99% of my sequencing on my sequencing machine.  Only use the show machine to play shows, doesn't have the horsepower for some of these sequences.

I do 99% of my sequencing on my sequencing machine.  Only use the show machine to play shows, doesn't have the horsepower for some of these sequences.

ah ok.. yes you should be able to transfer whatever files you need from one machine to the other.  test when you are near both machines first to make sure you are able to access the machine wirelessly through RDT and are able to transfer files, if not you may have to make changes to any firewall software and permissions on the device..better than figuring that out after you were outside trying to upload stuff.

Edited by gc75067

I've heard of people storing their files on Dropbox and have their show computer actually load the files from Dropbox and not their pc. If this is the case you could work own your sequence from anywhere, upload it to Dropbox and the next time you run it your changes would take effect.

You can use Teamviewer for that too.  I use it to channel test after all is wired up.  I sit outside with a laptop and remote in to my show PC.

• Like 2

Team Viewer can do it but it will be a little slow to change sequences. But it works great for other area's or LOR.

I've used my cell phone from out of town to restart the show when some visitors came late.

caniac - TeamViewer has a file transfer ability built into it. You could use your laptop outside to sequence, then transfer view the TeamViewer file transfer function. Then you could TeamViewer into your show machine and restart the shows.

I also use Teamviewer and the nice thing about you and hear your audio from your show machine :-)

I use VNC for remote access to my show computer for remote testing and setup.  I will sit out in the front yard with a laptop and for example adjust individual colors of RGB LEDs to get the desired look.  Much easier to do that than make an adjustment while sitting at the show computer and run out front to look at it, and repeat (many times).

I just remotely adjusted the show schedule to keep my landscape lights on 15 minutes later as the sunrise time has changed enough since last month.

I use gotomypc to remote access my show pc. the nice thing about gotomypc is you can use most any device with an internet connection. you do have to pay for the service. the only problem i have had with it had to do with my internet connection not the program. i use it on my Ipad almost daily to control the CNC machine i run at work. for what i use it for i think it is worth every penny i pay for the service.

• 2 months later...

(Necrothreading)

You might also consider Log Me In.   Free (for light non-commercial use) and works very well.   Has apps for mobile devices as well.  I manage my PCs at home from all over the world with it. 

https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/freeremotecontrola/?destination=/welcome/freeremotecontrola/&wt.srch=1&utpk=logmein&originid=314917&mcomb=sf78GpjYk|28242277220|logmein|e|i8rbbhb5l0|c&gclid=CKvWytqbqLoCFdJj7Aod00EAHQ

• 3 weeks later...

I only use the laptop outside to test the circuits during setup but I'm using the wireless Easy Light Linkers. Since the laptop is a backup also for the show computer, I can run a full sequence from it if I wish. At this instant, still setting up lights and megatrees, so not quite at the testing process yet.

I am another vote for Team Viewer, I have my Surface Pro with me across the laptop and Team Viewer straight in to my Show PC for modifications as I sit and watch.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I have discovered around Remote Desktop:

Depending on the client settings, Remote Desktop tries to simulate a sound card to play back sound remotely. This can cause problems with LOR so you need to set the sound to "Remote only".

While in the settings, you can also enable copy&paste and actually connect your local drives so you can access files on the hard drive of your remote laptop.

These two things help - still VNC or Teamviewer is a lot easier and have less risk of interrupting the show :-)

In previous years I have used my laptop for testing and setup etc with VNC which worked OK . This year I'm using VNC with my Android phone (S4) and it's working great. It's actually more responsive than the laptop.