Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Half Strings for CCP Controllers

sharpsvillelights

Brian,

I have a question on using the 1/2 string when using the CCP controllers.

I have setup a narrow tree using 4 CCP controllers, 1/2 string which results in 16 segments.

The effect in Superstar work according to my design.

I have also setup the same tree in Visualizer and sequence editor.

I assign pixel 1 by the controller which is located at the bottom of the tree.

In my initial testing of these two apps I noticed that pixel 1 was at the bottom and, pixel 25 at the top of the first half segment.  Then pixel 26 was at the top and pixel 50 at the bottom of the 2nd half segment.  Therefore, it looks like an upside down "V" going from bottom to top and top to bottom on a 50 pixel string, which is as expected

So my question is this.

Since everything is displayed correctly in Superstar, when exporting to Sequence editor, do pixels 26-50 reverse order so in sequence editor pixel 26 is at the bottom and 50 at the top.

I have not yet done an export as this will be the next stage of my testing.

Yes, you are correct, in the situation you describe, the mapping of 26-50 get reversed.

In any sequence played to an imported visualization, the sequence will look the same on your real lights as it does in SuperStar so long as your real lights are laid out in the same way as the visualization. When you export the sequence to the sequence editor, things get swapped around as necessary to play to your lights the same way as you saw them play in SuperStar.

One way to test this is to export to the sequence editor and then play that exported sequence to the Visualizer.

Brian,

We had talked on the phone about a latency some people experienced after importing the superstar file to Sequence editor.  You discussed a couple of options 1) delay the imported superstar file by 1 second 2) copy the superstar file into sequence editor.

Could you please explain the following.

1.  What is the file name of the exported superstar file and how does sequence editor relate to this file.

2.  What is the best way to add the 1 second delay in the exported superstar file.

3.  If you choose the option of copying the details of the exported superstar file into sequence editor, what is the best way to copy. 

- Do you copy one controller at a time at the controller level without viewing the pixel details?. 

- Do you have to expand the controller to see the pixel details and copy all 150 lines?

1) If the name of the SuperStar file you are working on is:

MyAwesomeSequence.sup

then the exported file name will default to:

MyAwesomeSequence_sup.lms

Realize that at time of export you can give it any name you want, but the above would be the default name it would have if you do not change it. The exported file automatically gets put into the same folder as the rest of you Sequence Editor files, so when you launch the Sequence Editor you should see it with all your other sequences.

2) The "1 second delay" you refer to is a problem that sometimes happens when playing a subsequence with a main sequence. The subsequence gets started a little out of synch. The amount is different on different computers. I have had people report anywhere from .2 seconds up to 1.0 seconds. On my computer it is about .7 seconds. A subsequence plays during the time that the subsequence channel is on. So I turn on the subsequence channel at the .7 second mark on to the end of the sequence. However, if it is out of synch the other direction, the problem is harder to fix, you have to use a program like "Audacity" to add a second of silence to the beginning of the audio file. And then you can start the subsequence where you need to to get it in synch.

3) Because of the problem described in #2 above, I recommend that you use copy/paste to get your ccr sequence into your main sequence. You can copy all controllers at once, and you do not need to expand them. So if you have 12 CCRs, then you only need to copy the 12 lines of ccr channels. Also, make sure the paste mode in the Sequence Editor is set to "paste by time." The paste mode is in the flyout menu that come out from the left side of the sequence editor if you place the mouse at the left edge of the sequence editor. There is a video tutorial on getting your ccr sequence into your main sequence. Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" and then click on "Video Tutorials". The SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. Look for the one with a title that says something about getting your ccr sequence into your main sequence.

So if the main sequence is named MyAwesomeSequence.lms and I name the SS sequence MyAwesomeSequence_sup.lms how does sequence editor know to include the sub sequences.  I am guessing it is an option in SE just like adding an audio file.

And as always, thanks for the detailed instructions.

You misunderstand I think. When you create a .sup sequence, you name it what you want. When you export that file to the sequence editor, the program automatically renames it to Myawesomesequence_sup.lms.

Now, as far as the sub sequence is concerned, I'm afraid I can't help with that. The tutorials explain how to do this. I've never used it, I just copy the sup.lms effects and paste them into my sequence. I hope I explained that correctly. Sometimes I get long winded and start to ramble.

The Sequence Editor allows you to add a "sequence channel" which is what I am calling a subsequence.

There is a video tutorial on getting your ccr sequence into your main sequence. Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" and then click on "Video Tutorials". The SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. Look for the one titled: "Getting SuperStar sequences into Main Sequences". This tutorial explains the subsequence and the copy/paste ways of doing it.

Brian:

I just found the Super Star clipboard last night. Now it looks like I'm be doing some changes on the sequences that I thought where done. I haven't played with too many of them, just a couple to see what they looked like. I was reading this forum when someone mentioned the samples in the clipboard. I found them. I didn't know that there was a clipboard in Super Star.  I will be looking at them some more tonight.

Thanks  

You'll like the clipboards. There are some awesome effects in there. Its also a great way to learn how to do some of the effects.

You'll like the clipboards. There are some awesome effects in there. Its also a great way to learn how to do some of the effects.

Thanks Mr Ron

I think I saw it in another thread where you mentioned the clipboard.

Sequence Screen Shot Word 2003.docBrian,

I am now exporting my 16 segment tree (4 ccp controllers, using 25 pixels in a segment).  My controllers are 20 - 26 using the +1 controller configuration.

When I look at the tree in superstar, is the first controller (20) on the left or right?

In visualizer when I set up the tree, the first controller (20) is on the right.

After I exported the sequence into sequence editor, I did a copy paste (by time) into the CCP channels in my sequence.

However, everything looks distorted. 

For example, I did some text in superstar and in sequence editor some of the text looks upside down. 

Pixels 34-39 display the text correctly; however, pixels 12-17 display it upside down.

There are two modes in SuperStar, CCR mode and Visualization mode. In CCR mode you are limited to the "canned" layouts that SuperStar supports. One of those layouts is "half" ribbons. If you have a vertical display using "half" ribbons in CCR mode then you must have the first controller on the left and the last controller on the right.

However, it sounds like you have a visualization. So you can click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization" and then you will be using Visualization mode. In Visualization mode, the location and Unit IDs of the strings are obtained from the visualization. So you can place the controllers anywhere you want, you just need to have the visualization match you actual display. So if your Visualization has the first controller on the right, that is fine as long as you are in Visualization mode.

As for the text, SuperStar arranges the text so it will be readable on the actual light display. The strings are not laid out in the Sequence Editor the same way as they are in your light display. In your case you are using half strings, so half of the strings have the text reversed and half do not. Also, it may be upside down. It all depends on how your lights are laid out. The way to test it is to play the exported sequence in the Sequence Editor and view it using the Visualizer.

Brian,

The only thing I am programming in superstar are RGB devices.  Or in this case the mega tree using the 4 CCP controllers.  So in this case there would be no need to import my visualization file from visualizer.  Correct?

In visualizer I had the controllers reversed.  So I will rearrange them so the first controller is on the left and the last on the right.  After I make this change I will run SE with Visualizer to see if the effects designed in superstar are correct.

Thanks for the heads up on the text being displayed in SE.  I will ignore how it looks.  It should be displayed in visualizer correctly.

You are correct, you do not need to use a visualization.

As you say, in CCR mode, you will need to put the first controller on the left. And if your controllers are at the bottom, then the string should start up from the controller to form the first strand, and then at the half way point it should start down to form the second strand. Then the first half of the second string forms the third strand, etc.