Light-O-Rama Forums

Video of Folding Mini Tree Bracket

rainyoregonchristmas

I was totally confused at first.   I couldn't figure out a way to make a mini tree easy to collapse or why you would want to take something as simple as a tomato cage and make it so difficult.

The pictures of it  all put together, it all makes sense now.  I don't use those type of trees in my display. But this looks like a good alternative to the standard stick tree.

I saw his tree at the NW CLAP event and I have to admit... Put off a little by the price of the tree.. But once you realize that this tree will last many many years past any cheap tree that will rust away, the price does not seem too bad. Say over the course of 10 years, I would have easily spent that money in replacement trees not to mention the effort to de-string and re-string the replacements.

Like many have said before, you can go cheap and expect alot of time and effort or spend the money and get a quality product.

Having to remove pixels and rebuild a tree is just a time consuming process, so if you can do it only once with pieces that will last forever... With proper install/care of the pixels this tree will just allow you to have a very reliable prop,

I would have liked to seen a tree covered with pixels and have it folded up to show how it would fold when it was finished.

I for one would buy his tree in a heart beat.. (Actually I would buy at least 8) if I used pixel trees like that in my display...

Rainy,

Do you plan on stringing a tree and then taking photos? I was thinking of possibly replacing my tomato cage trees (3') with your trees using 3 or 4 branches.

Thanks,

Dave

It's 4:51 am here... stayed up a little late putting pixels on the tree...(as if it was November).  Gotta get to bed before the wife gets up.  I'll post the video later this afternoon after I get a chance to sleep.  Let me tell you, the video does not do it justice.  It's pretty sweet!!!

My little 4 foot tree ate up 168 pixels... smart ones too...  That's a lot for such a small object.  But just think of every thing you could do with it!!!

I'll leave you all wanting the video now... but it's gotta wait.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Matt those brackets are sweet for sure. My only question is why did you not bring the model along last Saturday? It looks like she would have given the demo more credibility for sure!   :P

Daryl has the key point. These things will LAST forever and you will go through many pixels or lights before the actual trees give out.

My how things have progressed.  Here is the Rainy Tree video with  PIXELS!!!!  I'm using 168 smart pixels from S.E., because that is what I had on hand.  I didn't have time to figure out a sequence, so this one is using their built in stand alone sequence.  The strings have a 4 inch spacing, which amaisingly came out perfect!  The last two pixels went rignt on to the trunk of the tree.

Pixel break down:

Tree topper, two on spire, three on each branch.

Set two: three on each branch

Set three: five per branch

Set four: seven per branch

Set five: nine per branch.

There also are three pixels on the trunk between each layer of branches.

Sorry the video is sideways.  Seems my phone didn't want to turn this one.  I'll take another tonight when it gets dark.

http://vimeo.com/65904886

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Matt, that kills 2 birds for me.

I was wondering first how it looked with pixels, and if one universe would fit on the tree. Outstanding. I think adding some white outdoor garland to it would set it off nicely.

Not likely to make 2013's display, but we will be holding hope for 2014! Thanks for posting the video.

I for one would buy his tree in a heart beat.. (Actually I would buy at least 8) if I used pixel trees like that in my display...

Daryl-

They are not just for Pixels....  I want them because I use RGBW Superstrings and that is really a bit much for the flimsy stick trees.  I have used my flimsy trees for 2 years now, and I hate having to be so careful with the skinny branches. I hold my breath hoping the branches won't break everytime I touch or move them.

LORi

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it was asked and I have made it possible.  Lori you wanted branches that have a greater angle.  I have a change that will allow you to adjust the angle.  It can be set at 0, or adjusted between 25-35 degrees.   If you want 26 deg ok, you can set it there.  If you want 30 degrees that's ok too.  If you want 35 degrees yup, it can do that. If you don't want adjustable branches, I can do that too. 

It was also asked to put a hole in the end of the branches so the lights don't slide down.  Though I haven't had an issue with that on my test tree.  I've added one anyway. 

Right now I'm saving my pennies to add CCP to the Beta tree.  I want to see how it looks with just 100 lights.  I think the 6" spacing will also help spread the lights out more evenly.

(That and I have to give my Dad his pixels back so he can start stringing up is mega tree.  Kids these days, have they no shame in what they won't borrow from their parent? ) :o:huh::blink:

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Oh, I should also have mentioned the other reason I have to break down the tree is that it's going on a road trip.  I'm sending it to LORi P so it can be presented at SLAM.  So if you want to see it at the St. Louis Area Mini, you better go. (Sorry it will be just a bare tree this year, I can't send the pixels)  If there's enough interest next year, I'll be willing to go to a couple of mini's with a small forest of trees fully lit.  Hey, why not do something crazy?!?!  I mean I already work on my Christmas display 12 months a year, why not bring some along on vacation.

-RainyOregonchrStmaS