Light-O-Rama Forums

Cool new song for Halloween light shows!

disney-fan-reborn

Just found a REALLY awesome song to use for Halloween shows and
thought I'd share it with you. You can download it on iTunes! Just
search for Clay Layton in iTunes. I'm actually going to be contacting
him (his dad is a client of mine) to see if he could mix up a shorter
version, say about 2:30 or 3:00 min long. This song has LOTS of cool
sequencing potential! Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNgfkXgr3BE

Wow!  That IS a cool song - the first one I've ever heard that makes me wish I did a Halloween display.

I give it a 90+ percent chance that I'll use it for Christmas.

I'm also interested in a shorter version.

Yes, i can see this in my Halloween display. Has great potential.

I too am interested in a shorter version.

I have the mp3 of the full version thanks to youtubetomp3.org

I HIGHLY do not recommend doing this, as it it PIRACY and stealing!  If ASCAP found out you were doing this, they would stomp on you so quick and hard!  I've been told FIRST HAND by a friend in the music industry that you do NOT want to mess with illegally copied/shared music.  ASCAP likes to make examples out of the small "innocent" guys out there, and you could LITERALLY lose your home over it!  They are VERY serious about his kind of stuff!  My friend was VERY blunt, frank, adamant, etc. about the whole topic!  If they knew people were sharing music with their sequences, they'd shut the whole Christmas light show industry down!  NO JOKE!  And "fair use" does NOT apply to sharing/pirating music!

Be VERY careful what you do, and DEFINITELY don't publicize what you are doing!  HOLY COW!

I HIGHLY do not recommend doing this, as it it PIRACY and stealing!  If ASCAP found out you were doing this, they would stomp on you so quick and hard!  I've been told FIRST HAND by a friend in the music industry that you do NOT want to mess with illegally copied/shared music.  ASCAP likes to make examples out of the small "innocent" guys out there, and you could LITERALLY lose your home over it!  They are VERY serious about his kind of stuff!  My friend was VERY blunt, frank, adamant, etc. about the whole topic!  If they knew people were sharing music with their sequences, they'd shut the whole Christmas light show industry down!  NO JOKE!  And "fair use" does NOT apply to sharing/pirating music!

Be VERY careful what you do, and DEFINITELY don't publicize what you are doing!  HOLY COW!

Not an issue, deleted it and the sequence this a.m.  Don't take this personal though but I really don't need the lecture, that topic has been covered extensively on this forum.  It was my understanding that the artist had been contacted by you so that we could use this in our light show (upon purchasing it from iTunes).  There are some artist that DO NOT want their music used in our light shows.  I was getting a jump on the sequencing with the assumption that the artist had given you the ok and until a shorter version of the song was available.  If I misunderstood then my bad and problem solved.

Technically you posting the song here without the artist express written permission to do so is in violation of ASCAP and the "fair use" clause!!  Look it up.

Piracy and stealing has more to do with "profiting" from the works of others.  You and they would have to prove to a court of law that I intended to use it for "personal gain".  Be careful when you try to go Legal Beagle on someone.

Edited by caniac
  • Like 1

Well we wouldn't want to have the whole Christmas light industry shut down now, would we?

LMAO

Not an issue, deleted it and the sequence this a.m.  Don't take this personal though but I really don't need the lecture, that topic has been covered extensively on this forum.  It was my understanding that the artist had been contacted by you so that we could use this in our light show (upon purchasing it from iTunes).  There are some artist that DO NOT want their music used in our light shows.  I was getting a jump on the sequencing with the assumption that the artist had given you the ok and until a shorter version of the song was available.  If I misunderstood then my bad and problem solved.

Technically you posting the song here without the artist express written permission to do so is in violation of ASCAP and the "fair use" clause!!  Look it up.

Piracy and stealing has more to do with "profiting" from the works of others.  You and they would have to prove to a court of law that I intended to use it for "personal gain".  Be careful when you try to go Legal Beagle on someone.

I think you misunderstood me.  My issue was NOT whether you were using it in your sequence or not.  That is totally fine.  It was the way you went about ACQUIRING the song.  Circumventing the actual purchase of the song and downloading it for free via the site you used, THAT is what I had a problem with.  "Getting a jump on the sequencing" does not justify making a pirated copy of the song.

Sharing a YouTube video is NOT a violation of ASCAP either. If it were, music labels would NOT be posting their artist's songs on YouTube for the world to see and share!  It is NOT a file sharing site! 

And if piracy and stealing was more to do with "profiting", tell that to the people who have been sued by the music industry for sharing pirated music.  It has very little to do with "proffiting" and EVERYTHING to do with stealing from the music industries!  ANY time a song is copied and shared with someone, even for "personal use", you are stealing from the music companies.  Why do you think they are now working with ISPs to flag the sharing of copyrighted music EVERYWHERE!  It's happening NOW!  http://www.dailydot.com/news/copyright-alerts-system-six-strikes-primer-guide/

and

http://www.dailydot.com/news/copyright-alerts-system-launch-six-strikes/

Besides, I'm NOT gaining anything from this.  I'm just giving the artist, whom I know personally, some exposure.

actually sharing a youtube is a violation and there are more than a few artist that take exception to it.  Keep an eye around Christmas time, there are a few around here that will post our Christmas video's on youtube and find out that because we didn't have the artist consent to use the music in our display the video's get yanked (sometimes even for traditional Christmas tunes).  Some even go the indie route because those artist are less demanding.  We usually don't find out until we post OUR videos of OUR displays on youtube then it gets yanked.  This one has been beaten to death on this forum so you really don't need to go there! 

How I acquired the song is none of your concern as long as I purchase the tune.  I was waiting to see if the shorter version was going to be available on iTunes before making that purchase, by virtue of the over 3,000 songs I have in iTunes I don't have an issue paying 99cents for a tune.  I really don't need you lecturing me on this issue.

"Piracy" and "stealing" are all about "profiting".  If you need me to I will post a link to Websters dictionary as well as the urban dictionary.  People that have been sued have made available and/or acquired tens of thousands of songs.  Sometimes for resale (burned on custom CD's/mixes) and sometimes free for the taking.  THAT is what the recording industry is trying to shut down.

I don't think you have a grasp of the true problem the recording industry is trying to stop.  As long as their is blank media (cd's, dvd's, thumb drives, etc.) music will be copied.  They can't and won't stop that, 80% of the U.S. has burned a cd, rip it to their computer, loaded it on their ipod (in a way other than iTunes).  What they are going after and rightfully so is what Napster was in it's hey day.  Before it was shut down you could find millions of songs there pretty much free for the taking, that is wrong!!  Don't have an issue with what they did nor would I ever go there.

Next, I did not write the software utility that extracts the audio portion out of a youtube video. So don't beat me up for using it, go after all those that write the software!!  If the software was not available I would not have been able to do that.  There are a thousand different variations of that software on the internet and most are free.  Maybe you can whip out a sequence in 5mins but for me it takes just a bit longer.  If you contacted the artist and told him that I was just getting a jump start on my Halloween sequencing and intend to purchase the shortened version when available he would most like wonder why in the hell you are getting your panties in a wad.  At the end of the day I am sure he doesn't care WHEN he gets paid as long as he gets paid.  I would also think it would be in his interest to have LOTS of Halloween displays using his music.  If you are that tight with the artist you should have already posted that the abbreviated version was available for down load and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  

At the end of the day your lectures are useless, the song no longer resides on my PC.  I will not use it in my display, there are too many other options.

I just hope to see a short version and yes, will gladly pay to be able to use it.

Edited by Santas Helper

• 1 month later...