Light-O-Rama Forums

Has Anybody Changed Their Landscaping

jim6918

Just to accommodate your display? I am seriously considering cutting down two pretty big trees in my front yard that are a nightmare to decorate. I have to hire an electrician with a bucket truck and have to use incandescents because it’s too expensive to take the strings down, so I just leave them up until the next year. Both trees are basically junk trees and cause a whole lot of mess for me and the neighbors. I have posted before about the trees and the problems trying to integrate them into my display.

I have 2 big bushes in my front yard by the street. After this year I am going to rip them out so the house can be seen better.

Yes.. Landscape planning in our family always has the lights in mind... We planted two new trees in spring to be used in the show... However they did not grow fast enough - we ended up cutting large branches from another tree to be used instead (they did get screwed into the fence). Really confused our neighbors... They came back after thanksgiving and we had three new trees in the yard :-)

• Like 1

Well our flagpole was put in 10 years ago for a Mega-Tree, and flies a flag the rest of the year. But nothing too major... And when we do change things up in the yard, the display is always at the back of my mind.

Well our flagpole was put in 10 years ago for a Mega-Tree, and flies a flag the rest of the year. But nothing too major... And when we do change things up in the yard, the display is always at the back of my mind.

did the same thing myself, American flag from January to October, Pirate flag in October, Mega Tree of some sort November and December.

Wasn't cheap but took out two big trees this summer, both growing into the power lines anyway. When decorated one tree flashed the light into my neighbor's bedroom so that was an easy decision. Trying to scale down and it was a whole lot easier to set up without them... less lights.

Took down 40 trees in front to open house up to the road. The wife always wanted them down so I let her think it was her idea. Also added a flagpole last year but mostly to fly the flag. The 25' spiral/mega tree was just a bonus.

One of my trees has that Emerald Ash Borer When that tree finally dies I am going to run outlets under the side walk and all over the yard.

I have a tree dead center of my lawn and its in my way. Im in a HOA so no cutting for me, but I do petition for its removal anually.

Well, I think my house layout stinks for decorating, or at least for seeing from the road. There is a house just down the street for sale and I told my wife, "wow, that would look so much better decorated than our house." I was quickly told we were not buying a new house just so I could decorate.

Well, I think my house layout stinks for decorating, or at least for seeing from the road. There is a house just down the street for sale and I told my wife, "wow, that would look so much better decorated than our house." I was quickly told we were not buying a new house just so I could decorate.

Time for a divorce.

When we bought this house, the fact that it was a nice largish space to decorate wasn't lost on us ;)

I'm hoping the heavy snow we got ruined our corner bush. Wife doesn't want it removed. It's gotten a little help with a couple branches broken so far. I want to put in a two tier corner flower bed with hidden surprises.

I like the way you do your trees, but I could SO see them out too.

I always think of how any change around my house will effect the display. I was doing it when I was static in the boonies, and I will keep doing it as I venture into pixels and RGB. When I was building houses, I used to picture how I would decorate them, I'm just that addicted...

Edited by avsphan

I like the way you do your trees, but I could SO see them out too.

I always think of how any change around my house will effect the display. I was doing it when I was static in the boonies, and I will keep doing it as I venture into pixels and RGB. When I was building houses, I used to picture how I would decorate them, I'm just that addicted...

LOL Thanks! Caught me off guard with that one. Now you know what I mean about them being difficult to decorate. I can see a Mega Tree right where the locust is and if the pine tree comes down, it would open up the view of the house more to the east. I can live with the apricot, but it wouldnt hurt me for it to suffer a lot of winter kill.

I think with what you have you work around it well, but a mega would look way better...the trees would be cool in a Halloween show.

Think of it this way, when a neighbor of mine had a black walnut dying in his back yard, he had it cut down and sold the wood for almost $2000. If you're lucky your trees might have display money growing in them.

Back in 1986 my father was looking for a new house, he ended up buying a corner lot and building his house with a deprecate breaker box just for his display that I took over and is still being put up to this day. Little crazy to consider that he bought a lot for the display and then has his house built with 12 dedicated circuits outside almost 30 years ago lol

Dedicated breaker box*