Light-O-Rama Forums

Source of music

hoek.fred

Music sources  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you obtain the music for your display?

• Purchased in store
    • Purchased online
    • Borrowed from friend / family
    • Downloaded for free

Guest wbottomley

To legally obtain music, you will need to purchase or download from a vendor that offers it for free. Three out of four of your answers are right. Borrowing is illegal. Look what has happened to file sharing music.

Your poll only allows 1 of 4 answers and doesn't have other viable options. Ie. I buy from online AND stores AND buy used (garage sales, etc) as well. My wife has also given me a couple of TSO cds for Christmas.

To legally obtain music, you will need to purchase or download from a vendor that offers it for free. Three out of four of your answers are right. Borrowing is illegal. Look what has happened to file sharing music.

I think all four options are correct. The first 3 would be the legal methods. Borrowing isn't illegal, downloading for free is. Filesharing is still out there.

Your poll only allows 1 of 4 answers and doesn't have other viable options. Ie. I buy from online AND stores AND buy used (garage sales, etc) as well. My wife has also given me a couple of TSO cds for Christmas.

I knew that a situation like yours would arise Dave. I would say pick the primary source. PS - what are TSO cds?

I think all four options are correct. The first 3 would be the legal methods. Borrowing isn't illegal, downloading for free is. Filesharing is still out there.

A good portion of my songs are from a CD collection I had before I sold it. Most of the CD's I bought used. However, I did get a bunch off Napster way back before the whole Lars thing. Back then the whole sharing thing was in debate.

I knew that a situation like yours would arise Dave. I would say pick the primary source. PS - what are TSO cds?

Trans Siberian Orchestra CD's

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting and digitizing my music since high school. In high school I used to buy vinyl albums and only play them once so that I could copy to cassette tape. Then I'd play them until the cassette wore out. Then I'd recopy and repeat. I still have all these old vinyl albums that have well taken care of and some have only been played once!

When CDs hit the market I started copying to my hard drive. I now have over 98,000 songs on my hard drive.. pretty close to 1/2 a TB. The last time I made a backup, it took 10 hours using a USB. The cool thing is that the title and artists are searchable. So, if you want a CD full of just sailing songs, for example, I can seach and get 50 songs with "sailing" in the title. I do the same thing for Christmas songs./MG

• The topic was locked