Light-O-Rama Forums

Two controllers, tested fine, now don't work

WiggyHD

I've done everything I can think of.

I got two controllers in the summer sale. I actually assembled them a couple of weeks ago. I tested each of them individually in the house and everything was great! I put them on the front porch with the two controllers I assembled and used last year (daisy chained). The hardware utility sees all four, and when they were first tested outside, they all worked, for one night. I added "welcome" and "thank you for coming" sequences with my daughter's voices, and all I got outside was the voices. No "talking Angels" (two 36" angels). I just tested all four with the hardware utility outside. All four steady red and recognized in the hardware utility. Controllers 1 and 2 are still fine, but, 3 and 4 give nothing. I disconnected 3 and 4, brought them inside, tested them individually again, and nothing. The light is on steady on both, and they are recognized. I'm at a loss. How would both of the new ones quit at the same time? How do you test them beyond the hardware utility?

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to be as detailed as I could.

THANKS!

Mark

What version software are you using?

If you have Basic you need to upgrade

Basic = 2 controllers

Basic Plus = 4 controllers

standard = 8 controllers

Advanced = unlimited controllers

Edited by Crazydave

Other than that... take controllers 3 & 4 Inside and test with Hardware Utility

Make sure their correct ID number is showing up and test each of the channels.

If all the channels work with the HU

then try running the sequences and see if they work.

if they do... then reconnect them outside and see what happens.

Maybe the cat5 connector was loose... try puttin 3-4 first in the daisy chain and 1-2 after them

Version 3.7.0 Standard.

I have also printed the Troubleshooting guide. I triple checked for solder bridges, bad soldering, etc., when I finished the board.

Mark

Troubleshoot one controller at a time.

Unplug the Ethernet from all other controllers and see if the HU finds the connected controller./.. then test each channel to see if it works.

then unplug the test one,,,,and then connect another controller

repeat for all controllers.

Tested individually inside, one at a time with HU.

Ran a sequence, nothing. When I opened HU, light steady, close HU, light blinks, open sequence editor light steady, as soon as I closed Sequence Editor, the light started blinking.

1.)Did the HU find the Controller?

Yes, each controller was found. They were also found while hooked up outside while daisy chained with 1 and 2.

2.)was the HU able to control each of the channels on the controller

No, the HU was not able to do anything but find them. The controller led light would be steady on. That's it. At first I thought it might be the fuses, but if it was, the controller wouldn't be powered at all. Or, might I be wrong?

Mark

Edited by WiggyHD

Disconnect one of the strings that should be working and plug that string into the outlet where your controller is plugged into.

If the string lights up, then this confirms two things: 1) your outlet is providing power 2.) the strings are working.

If the string doesn't like up... plug it into an outlet that is KNOWN to have power, if it still doesn't light up..you have bad strings.

(if you want to be super-anal, you can repeat this for all strings)

If we can verify that

1.) the strings are WORKING

2.) that power is being supplied to the controllers.

then we can move forward with figuring out whats going on with the controllers.

Disconnect one of the strings that should be working and plug that string into the outlet where your controller is plugged into.

If the string lights up, then this confirms two things: 1) your outlet is providing power 2.) the strings are working.

If the string doesn't like up... plug it into an outlet that is KNOWN to have power, if it still doesn't light up..you have bad strings.

(if you want to be super-anal, you can repeat this for all strings)

All strings work in outlets for controlloer. With the two controllers inside for testing, I plugged the testing lightstrings into the outlet I have the controllers plugged into for testing.

If we can verify that

1.) the strings are WORKING

2.) that power is being supplied to the controllers.

then we can move forward with figuring out whats going on with the controllers.

I know there is power at the outlet, and I know there is power somewhere in the controllers since the LED light turns on steadywhen I plug it into the wall and turn on the software at the computer. I also know that the USB485 is good because controllers 1 and 2 work just fine to run most of the show.

I appreciate your help! And, I am thankful for your patience!

Mark

You mentioned at one point controllers 3 & 4 worked correct?

Do you have any other devices (DMX e1.31 etc)

Lets try this... we know that signals are being sent to controllers 1-2

First are your controllers marked with their controller number? (if not do this now)

since we know the software and USB device is capable of transmitting on controllers 1-2, lets change controller 3-4 to also be 1-2.

so lets temporarily assign controller "3"

Disconnect all controllers

Connect only controller "3"

then change it to "1"

then disconnect that controller and connect "4" and reassign it to "2"

and lets see if any lights work.

my guess is that they won't

but just want to make sure.

Edited by Crazydave

Well, a day later and things changed again. I rebooted yesterday, and went to the VA Hospital today. I get home, change 4 to 2 and now, when plugged in and the HU on, the led light is off, lights don't work, but it does see it as 2. With these results, I don't want to try the other one. I changed the ID back to 4, it finds it as 4, but, the LED light still doesn't illuminate.

The worked for one night. Why does Murphey have to visit me so often?

AGGGHHHH!

Mark