Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming 10w RGB Flood Lights on LOR3

jasoncampbell83

I have 8 10W RGB Flood Lights that I'm using for my christmas display I have some that I can turn them on and change the color and I can turn it off and then turn them on or unplug them and they will stay the same color which I can use for my display because they don't change color when they turn off and back on then I have a couple of them that I will change them a color and turn it off and then back on and they will stay the same color but when I unplug them and then plug them back in they will go through all the colors and not stay the same color I changed them to before I unplugged them so then I can't use them on the house. This is my first year using LOR so i'm a newbie is their a way I can control the colors I want them through LOR so I don't have to use 3 different ones in one spot to change it 3 different colors.

I think the only way you would be able to reliably control them with LOR would be if they had DMX capability (a nickel-sized hole with three pins on your devices would likely mean they were DMX controlled.

They might be DMX without a connector. Some have 5 wires out the back and some have 7.

You need to find out if they are RGB or DMX. If they are DMX you can control them with LOR using DMX output and a dongle or Enttec.

If they are RGB you need a LOR DC controller.

They are 110V~240V 10W RGB Color Changing Outdoor Remote Control LED. They have 3 wires coming out the back of them live,neutral and earth wire. So I would have to get a DC controller correct.

Unless I'm mistaken, those do not sound like the DMX controled spotlights....... If that's the case, those have been discussed a bit and I don't think there's any way to interface them with LOR, short of a major hack. Even then people are saying that doesn't work. You want the DMX controlled RGB floods.

There are actually two types of these flood lights: the ones which can be controlled and ones which cannot. It is pretty easy to differentiate: 3 cables and a remote : usually not controllable. Also 110 V ones are not controllable, they can only work on pre-selected patterns.

There is a second type which has a full blown DMX decoder built in. They have between 5 and 7 control wires. In most cases the DMX address is hard coded and you need a device to change it.

I did get mine from Aliexpress - I will look for a link in a second...

I had to replace the cables with longer ones so they plug directly into a DMX / power distribution.

What I like about those is tht they can be controlled individually...

They are 110V~240V 10W RGB Color Changing Outdoor Remote Control LED. They have 3 wires coming out the back of them live,neutral and earth wire. So I would have to get a DC controller correct.

you can't controll 120 volt floods with a 12 volt controller.

Eliminate all the guts of the flood and control it with a LOR DC controller. The led won't run on 12V without adding a couple resistors, especially the red and blue. Post a close up pic of the led, I should be able to tell you what resistors you'll need.

Red will need a 16-17ohm 1.5w resistor

Green doesn't need one as long as you don't exceed 12V, other wise use the same for blue

Blue needs 3.33ohm at .3w or if above 12V, use 5ohm .5w resistor

jason,

take a look at seasonal entertainment. they have a flood that may work for you. it has the rgb leds in it and they are very easy to control in lor. i got 9 of their rainbow floods (wide floods as opposed to spots) and they worked out great for me. i used them to light up my local courthouse for our christmas walk.

it takes a little time to get them to be controlled the way you want (i.e. fades, chases, and different colors) but after you learn the steps in the sequence editor you can do all kinds of effects.

check out their website www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com they also have videos you can look at.

call and talk to greg and let him know what your trying to do and he will be more than happy to help you out. i had a couple issues with the floods i got but he went out of his way to make sure i got the right items and knew how to use them.

very helpful and i would recommend him to anyone looking at spots and floods.

I carry 18w RGB DMX floods. They come with built-in DMX decoder with a led display for the channels and other features. Also built-in power supply for 100-240V. Just plug into standard power outlet and send a dmx signal and your good. DMX input and output are 3pin XLR. Or you can use Cat5 with and adapter. They are super bright and wash my house nicely. I should have made a video I just the floods in use a long time ago...something I will do in the off season.

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/RGB-LED-Wall-Washer-Flood-18W-DMX-512-FLOOD-RGB-18W.htm