Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Lights

mackdave

I was wondering what type of lights people use on a Mega Tree. 5mm, M5, C6, or etc. With a 16 channell for next year, how many strands do I need for a 20' with a 10' base? I don't want it to look sparse.

I prefer C6 LEDs. The others types you mentioned are more directional IMHO.

I wouldn't go less than 32 strands (2 strands per channel) again IMHO.

I am using the 5mm on my mega/spiral tree. They are directional as Santas Helper said but you see through the entire tree so it doesn't matter. If you are doing spiral, 33' lengths from CDI will give you roughly 1.5 twists on a 20' tree with a 10' base

Some of you all have me a bit confused. Unless your 10' base ring is a few feet up in the air. I have a 17' tall tree (cut 3' off and is concreted into the ground). Am using CDI C6 100ct which is 34' long and it does not matter if you doing the up and over or the up and back. In either case the string folded will be 17' long. Even so, my base ring is about 8 or 10" above the ground.

Some of you all have me a bit confused. Unless your 10' base ring is a few feet up in the air. I have a 17' tall tree (cut 3' off and is concreted into the ground). Am using CDI C6 100ct which is 34' long and it does not matter if you doing the up and over or the up and back. In either case the string folded will be 17' long. Even so, my base ring is about 8 or 10" above the ground.

Your right MP.

I wasn't really focusing on the height, just the type of LED and count. But good point.

I want to use this tree.http://www.christmaslightshow.com/20-mega-tree-complete-kit.html

Or this one. http://www.christmaslightshow.com/14-pvc-christmas-tree-kit-16-with-a-star.html

If you look at my avatar, picture, whatever...I'm doing the 20 ft mega from christmas light show...I think it works out very slick...using 100 ct Incandescent mini's(switching to LED's next year) probably M6's

What is important is that whatever you buy, buy them all at once, as you will find a difference between the light distance and sometimes the shades of light themselves. 100 CT mini's can vary in length, so don't just use what you have around, like I did...some I need 6-8 cap covers to black them out...some are perfect length..

If you look at my avatar, picture, whatever...I'm doing the 20 ft mega from christmas light show...I think it works out very slick...using 100 ct Incandescent mini's(switching to LED's next year) probably M6's

What is important is that whatever you buy, buy them all at once, as you will find a difference between the light distance and sometimes the shades of light themselves. 100 CT mini's can vary in length, so don't just use what you have around, like I did...some I need 6-8 cap covers to black them out...some are perfect length..

How many light strands do you use for 16 channels

How many light strands do you use for 16 channels

32 strands per controller...could do more...but 96 strings for me is pretty full

18' here with 48 strands of c6 (single color) hooked to 24 channels, could use another 6 channels and dozen strings to make it look even better. Remember, the more strands the fuller, the more channels, the smoother the effects and more can be generated

Edited by cenote

18' here with 48 strands of c6 (single color) hooked to 24 channels, could use another 6 channels and dozen strings to make it look even better. Remember, the more strands the fuller, the more channels, the smoother the effects and more can be generated

Thus more funds for more lights and more channels. But true.

But then comes the space available. Last year I built 196 strands of 100ct C6 strands on my 30' mega tree and after last years experience of an over-crowded topper and couldn't hang all my super strands (just 128 of them), I made an adjustment and got all 196 of them up this year. So "structural planning" and funds go hand in hand. ;)

Edited by Santas Helper

I have a 20' pole and am using CDI 33' strings up and back. The pole is about 2' in the ground. The base is well over 3 feet off the ground, which makes it easy to get under when necessary and frankly isn't noticible (to me anyway) when the show is running. My front yard is pitched, so that does 'hide' some of the gap between the bottom of the tree and the ground. I also have a train prop under the tree, but rope light presents would look good as well.

Sorry for the noob question - so if you have 48 strands connected to 24 channels then 2 strands are connected to the same channel and mirroring each other's activity, right? Do you typically place these strands 180 degree opposite each other or right neext to each other. 2nd question, for multiple colors is it typical to run multiple strands (each a different color) or bite the bullet and invest in CCR or CCB? I guess that second question applies to eave and rooflines too. CCR/B would be ideal but that seems really expensive to me.

Sorry for the noob question - so if you have 48 strands connected to 24 channels then 2 strands are connected to the same channel and mirroring each other's activity, right? Do you typically place these strands 180 degree opposite each other or right neext to each other. 2nd question, for multiple colors is it typical to run multiple strands (each a different color) or bite the bullet and invest in CCR or CCB? I guess that second question applies to eave and rooflines too. CCR/B would be ideal but that seems really expensive to me.

It's up to you. And to how many channels you are running IMHO.

I'm doing side-by-side strands for a fuller strand look and running 16 channels of each color. But if it's less channels and you want more action, you might go 180 from each other. it just depends what your looking for.

I have all C6 LEDs so I can't comment on CCR/B but I'm happy with what I have.

Hope that helps and good luck,

P.S. don't be sorry for the question. It's a good question.

Edited by Santas Helper

The advice that I got last year made perfect sense: A single string of minis burning by itself on a 20'ft tree looks a little weak, IMO. Adding a second string on the same channel (even if its twisted together or directly beside it) gives a bigger punch and also a bit of a safety in the event of failure. My tree has 16 "slices" of each color spaced around the tree. Each slice is made up of two 100ct strings. How you control those slices is up to you. I wired each clear slice to a separate channel. For reds and greens, I wired two slices to a channel using 180deg opposites. For blue, I used just two channels using interleaved ((every other) slices. I could have used a single blue channel, but 3200 bulbs on one channel is 1280 watts for my brand of lights.

My tree, this year, is a 32 channel, '15 tree using all mutli-leds. In this case, I'm doing 16 spiraled channels going one direction and alternating 16 the other direction. The effect was exactly what I was looking for and getting lots of good comments about it. I'm already thinking of doing a second tree next year on the other side of the yard, wired directly to this first tree, therefore still the same two controllers but a lot more spt1 wire.