Light-O-Rama Forums

Hanging lights without a ladder?

rickodom

I had no luck in finding information on this using the forum search option. Looking for ideas or suggestions for a no ladder type of setup for hanging lights. I have shingles on my roof that are not supposed to be walked on apparently as they crack easily.

I want an easier method of hanging lights on my new home as the top tier roof is about 25 feet up and some parts are inaccessible without attempting to walk on the lower levels shingles. I’ve seen a few systems like the below links and wondered if I’m on the right track? Has anyone tried them?

Tool for putting in hooks:

http://www.attackspider.com/installation-tool-the-screw-up

A no ladder system? This one had bad reviews but you get the idea of what I am looking for.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/7479801/no-ladder-light-hanging-kit-does-it-work

- Rick

Since my home has no eaves/overhang {manufactured home}, I only have one choice, use a ladder. I was hoping I could find something I could use to mount into the vinyl siding using some type tool from ground level myself.

Like you, I've not seen anything that seems to work, and I need something that would do it from the ground on a horizontal axis, even more difficult.

So I'm just going to have to try and use a ladder, install some horizontal hooks just under the roof line and then maybe use some type tool to hang the lights after I have the screw hooks installed and hope for the best.

Good Luck on finding anything that'll work. Just know I have had zero success in finding anything unique for my situation to stay off a ladder to get any lights hung.

Edited by Orville

I don't do heights. So I got some hooks from HD spray painted them the color of my trim, and hang 90% of my lights from the ground, with a painters pole and a barbecue fork duck taped to it.

I haven't seen any ways to totally avoid ladders ( except buy a really short house) but......... I have seen a lot of great ideas of things people use that greatly limit the amount of ladder time. Search the forums and you will find things like

* Window frames- it now takes me less than a minute per window and only one ladder move per window

*. Icicle lights- lots of different threads here. I've combined a couple and now only have to put the ladder up at each corner. All icicles up in less than 10 minutes.

*. I don't put lights on my roof but I've seen many great ideas there as well

Point is, while not eliminating the ladder totally you can greatly cut down on your time on one. As I get older not only is not going up and down a ladder a hundred times good for my legs but every year I realize more and more how easily I break!

This looks interesting and its not too expensive?

I'm planning on getting it for my house next year, the roof trim is the most annoying and hated part of my Christmas light installation.

Edited by Arteom

I needed a 40" extension ladder extended to install the hooks on my roof, I'm so glad I did. Now I just use a telescoping pole to lift and hook the lights into place. The windows are frames lifted from inside the house and attached with hanger bolts installed at the top of each window.

i use a 20 foot long rolling scaffold i own it is noble ad will reach 25 foot high i pull it around my yard house with my lawn mower or golf cart yes it has a ladder to climb to the platform but the platform meets and exceeds all osha standards now befor some knee jerk tunes in im not tell or advising any one to do as i do ive got ms and this works for me and its safe the work platform is off set so it also works on mega trees the platform can be cracked up and down from 8 feet to 25 feet with 2 hand crank wenches

Lots of awesome ideas... I'll get some pics of the house to show you what I'm referring too... my wife says the shingles are actually tiles, not standard shingles. Since the house was just built I think it's something new?

Buying truck to put up lights!?!?! It leaves even less money for lights, controllers extension cords more lights .....

-{honey can I buy a bucket truck?}-

Guest Don Gillespie

I needed a 40" extension ladder extended to install the hooks on my roof, I'm so glad I did. Now I just use a telescoping pole to lift and hook the lights into place. The windows are frames lifted from inside the house and attached with hanger bolts installed at the top of each window.

why didn't you just stand on your tip toes ;)

• Like 1

Seems that there is a place just up the road from me that deals in used utility company bucket trucks. Some even have the auger and the pincher to lift the poles. Actually thinking about it, they must be an auction outfit. But suspect that these trucks might be the ones that the company has labeled their problem children.

Stand on your tip toes? 40" toes? How big are his feet?

I assure you, my feet are not that big!

I said 40 inches or did I mean 40 feet...maybe I should have included a picture of my house.

• Like 1

Or, another option is to get a man lift.

We put all the lights up on two houses, the oak tree and then trim up neighbors tress as a way to say thank you for putting up with all the traffic. No ladders are used on our display, at all.

Ok... so here is my roof! We have 9 foot ceilings in the house so it's pretty high up for the second story. I've been looking all over for perhaps clips I can insert in between the roofing tiles to hold the lights in place.. but not sure what is out there strong enough to do so. Otherwise I'll end up using a ladder once to insert various hooks around the eves. Since it's a new home, trying to avoid too many unnecessary holes. ;)

zj9ksi.jpg