Light-O-Rama Forums

Saving S3 sequences to S2?

toddmoon

Is it possible to create a sequence in S3 and then save it to S2 or export it to S2. If this is not possible can you have S2 and S3 installed on the same computer and then copy and paste the sequences from one version to another?

We are trying to do a group effort of creating a sequence of "Its the end of the world" for Dec 21, 2012. Several of us want to take on portions to program and share it and we all do not have S3. The effort will be a group effort and we need to be able to work with different version of LOR.

That's not something we directly support. There is also no way to have both installed at the same time.

However, S2 may be able to load an S3 sequence, but the S3 specific stuff will not make it (obviously). You'll have to try it yourself, and if it doesn't work there isn't much we can do.

If multiple people are working on a sequence, you may need to downgrade everyone to a common version and use that. OR have the S2 people send their work to an S3 person for inclusion (since S3 can open S2 sequences without issue).

Just a thought. I realize that there are things in S3 that would not come across to S2. It would be nice though to be able to save to S2 if we did want to share a sequence we had developed in S3.

Those with S3 could uninstall and install S2, or install S2 on a different computer. Then everybody has the same version.

Since it is only 4 months till the end of the world I wouldn't spend much time getting used to S3 anyway.

(smell the sarcasm)

or, like Mike said have the ones with S2 send the file to the users with S3 and they can add their 2 cents.

Well since we are all going to die on Dec 21 I thought the best way to celebrate on a Friday night is to play the tribute song "Its the end of the world and I feel fine" right up to midnight Mountain standard time. Yes, I am about as worried about it as I was on Y2K. LOL.

Is it possible to create a sequence in S3 and then save it to S2 or export it to S2. If this is not possible can you have S2 and S3 installed on the same computer and then copy and paste the sequences from one version to another?

We are trying to do a group effort of creating a sequence of "Its the end of the world" for Dec 21, 2012. Several of us want to take on portions to program and share it and we all do not have S3. The effort will be a group effort and we need to be able to work with different version of LOR.

This can be done with some restrictions.. but why do you want to? Come on, its not that expensive and gives you better tools.

But if you really want to share.

There is no difference in the xml for the basic stuff. I am pretty certain about this. All the channel and effect commands have remained unchanged for a long time. S2 and S3 did not change anything.

The main thing about S3 was the visualizer which is a separate tool and doesn't impact the sequences at all.

The only thing in a saved S3 program which can not be understood by S2 is channel groups. If you have your S2 friend do the channel layout and old animation and then share it with the S3 people.. its all good.

S3 can read the S2. When you pass back from S3 to an S2 user.. You will to open the sequence in notepad and change one line at the top.

saveFileVersion="11" needs to be saveFileVersion="8"

It may be hard for the S3 user to resist the temptation to add a channel group.. but dont do it or it wont go back. OR you can save the config in S3 which contains no groups.. then add groups for your convenience to sequence.. then import the config which has no groups.. No work or effects will be lost.. Then send that reverted sequence back to the S2 person.

Dont forget that the S3 user can create a visualizer .lee if they want and that will work fine.

I do not have S2 to test this but I will bet you a nickel it will work... or else it will be the end of the world as we know it.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

End of the World is gonna roll over the Earth like Steven King's The Langoliers .. gonna see these giant mouths start chewing everything in their path.. starting in London.. it's a UTC-thing.. if it's not, and everybody goes at the same instant.. I'm gonna feel cheated.. 12am London, 5pm here.. 'jus' be dinner time here.. :blink:

Do I really think it's gonna happen?? Only thing I can say is...

LIVE ON CREDIT !!

jus' be prepared to pay January's bills..

:D

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

post-2796-0-27410000-1346644621_thumb.jp Well I think this pic says it all for me.

Unfortunately the caption under the photo is cropped off, or was when I tried to view and read it, so how do we know it isn't 2012 he went too posted on that photo, as all I see is 201 and the last number cropped and obscure? :P

Edited by Orville