Light-O-Rama Forums

?

Angela1978

Thanks I'm just tying to decide how many controers to by 16/32. But I don't want to be too limited on what I can do. Just starting out!!!!

Go 32... You'll be happier and will be able to spread power out better as well. I'm a newbie too and my plans keep expanding. I started sequencing from 16 and quickly realized I really needed 32. Now I'm hoping for 48 but that may be a long shot for this year.

I am thinking that I started out with either 48 or 64. Cause I had 32 tied up with 4 arches (8 channels each). And I know I was doing something else. I seem to remember I had 14 spiral trees and a tune to sign, lights around the perimeter, a Santa, two windows outlined. Ya, sure it was at least 64 channels. Them arches are channel hogs for sure.

Ang, if you can solder, go with the -16PC (residential) kit, saves a TON of money doing it yourself, which lets you get more controllers. Additionally, if you put your town/city in your profile, we'll be able to see if someone is close to you to help/teach you to solder.. it is NOT difficult!

ok I bought the starter package with the add on. sequence package. so now I need a fm transmitter, any suggestions. I heard of a few but one is sold out. Going to put it out there again before I go ahead and purchase something. You guys have been great so far. I'm sure I will be looking to you guys again when it all arrives lol.

Ang, strongly suggest one of the EDM transmitters. I also highly suggest you stay away from the whole house. Saying this, I will laugh at you if you get one and it does not work, as usual. Stay away from the ones on ebay and come from china. Very bad sound and they have way more power than you can legally use. Yes, FCC has rules that could get you in deep trouble. Want to stay to a max range of 1 or 2 blocks. And that is a wee bit high power, but we have had some come on here and say that they could hear a mile away. I think the rules are more like 200 feet max. But sometimes that leads to poor sound and static. The EDM models have variable power that allows you to tweak it down to the above mentioned range, 2 blocks.

Since you're from Canada, keep your eyes open around here for a guy by the name of Don Gillespie - he can help you a lot.

I think in Canada you can pretty much get away with any kind of transmitter you want, but I second staying away from the Whole House models.

I started with 16 channels and 1 color on each feature. Keeping it simple allowed me to create a lot of sequences the first year and helped me understand the software without being too overwhelmed. Year 2, I switched to 4 colors on each feature which really upped my game and have been adding features ever since.