Light-O-Rama Forums

What Time Do You Start Your Halloween Displays?

bgwyn

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of building and planning our first Halloween display this year. I would like to know what time everyone starts their shows. I want to have some voiceovers done and I need to decide what time my show will begin. We have the singing faces, tombstones, pumpkins, and etc. in our show. We live close to Amarillo TX and sunset is about 7:15pm in mid-October. Thank you for all your help.

I start my at about 6:00pm by about 6:30 i have main music start playing run it intell 9:30 i live in arlingthn Texas

I think it depends on where you live. Keep in mind that people get off work between 5 & 530pm for most, and if you want 'that' traffic to see (assuming you're in a place for people to see), you might need to start a little earlier. On your test night, you should run it before dusk and see how the minimal sunlight affects your display. If you don't like it, move the time back half an hour or so. Until it gets dark earlier in the day, it's hard to balance people seeing it when they get off work and when it's dark out. I'd test it though so YOU can see how it looks. After all, we are our own worst critics....

Very true. This is what causes me trouble. I just cannot get it good enough.

Lol, see what I mean? I'm sure your display looks amazing, you've probably just worked on it so long, you don't see the progress. I have the same problem in the ICU. Family members that spend day and night at the bedside don't see improvements. Only when they take a break from it do they see the progression.

I haven't even given that a thought yet, but I live on the busiest road in a small town so I think starting just before dusk might be an advantage in my case especially since the sun sets behind my house. Thanks for the idea

I pretty sad that I will not be doing anything for Halloween :( Damn HOA!!

But I'm thinking about doing something small on just Halloween night....because I just cant have nothing. So I might just put up the cemetery fence, tombstones, pumpkins and lots and lots flashing floods and fog. Kinda go back to the old roots and go scary.

I don’t know…I’m not into it this year since I have been banished. :angry:

Kevin

Edited by CLD Kevin

I pretty sad that I will not be doing anything for Halloween :( Damn HOA!!

But I'm thinking about doing something small on just Halloween night....because I just cant have nothing. So I might just put up the cemetery fence, tombstones, pumpkins and lots and lots flashing floods and fog. Kinda go back to the old roots and go scary.

I don’t know…I’m not into it this year since I have been banished. :angry:

Kevin

You can come set up your stuff at my house! I don't mind at all. :D

• Like 1

I start my show at 7pm runs to 10pm

but last year I got "visited" by some of the neighbors.....seems some of them don't take kindly me having a cemetery in my yard and to this Holloday in general, So this year I decided to double my display and I am now taking my tombstones and I am motorizing them to spin around and rock back and forth to the music.

Lets see if that calms down the locals

Edited by PMC
  • Like 1

5 - 10pm .. Lower the speakers at 9.. But will run the lights with radio transmitter until midnight on Halloween and the night before

I forgot to ask earlier, but how early do you generally start setting up your display? I was thinking 1st of October...

I start my show at 7pm runs to 10pm

but last year I got "visited" by some of the neighbors.....seems some of them don't take kindly me having a cemetery in my yard and to this Holloday in general, So this year I decided to double my display and I am now taking my tombstones and I am motorizing them to spin around and rock back and forth to the music.

Lets see if that calms down the locals

U Go PMC!

Edited by tjflory

• 2 months later...

I was curious about show times too. I've been doing 7:00 to 9:30. Live music this past saturday and for halloween on wed. All other times on FM tuner.

Kevin, that sux what your HOA did to you. You inspired a lot of people, including me. My parents neighborhood is going thru the same thing with a neighbor. Trying to force they're HOA policies on her.

Personally if i was you, I would do your show on Halloween anyway. It's just one day, what can they do. HOA's really don't have any power. At that point I guess it comes to whether you want to be on the "good list" or the bad one. Don't let the HOA discourage you. We just moved and the whole neighborhood has been supportive. Of course if I start getting lots of traffic, i'm sure that will all change for me as well.

I had one neighbor complain about the live music at our test show on Tuesday night. I was well under the db range that's respectable and it was early. Had he not been so rude about it, i would have turned the bass down a bit, instead i pushed the db's to the legal limit. There's always one a-hole in the neighborhood! GO FOR IT!!!!

I had to go small this year do to us moving but would love for you to check out my small show. Look under Halloween setups, The salveys rockin halloween. More videos to come!

Screw the HOA

Oh, and Kevin, did you ever think of maybe moving your display from your house to say a trunk or treat or a downtown venue. Seems like Riverside supported you. There has to be someplace you could do it!

Please consider that not all HOAs hate our displays - and that if they did any research on the topic they might find these postings and assume we are the enemy before understanding our individual shows.

I like my HOA and they have awards for competitions between individual homes and neighborhood pockets.

I run my show dusk to 10pm weekdays and dusk to midnight Friday and Saturday. I did have an outdoor neighborhood party last Saturday that went to 1am. An Halloween night will probably stay on 'till midnight.

Good luck with your shows and please remember not all HOAs are at odds with our craft! :-)

Cheers and happy Halloween!!

Agreed Jay. I'm not in an HOA and made sure of that when we purchased our new house. My neighbors have been very supportive and are already asking what i'm going to do for christmas. But some HOA's are indeed bad and the president can sometimes be on a personal agenda. Some of the things going on in my parents HOA make me sick. I guess it just depends who is in charge. I think Kevin got exiled probably because of the traffic. We all do this to make everyone smile, at least that's my reason. We had a housewarming party on Saturday, Played the music live, invited neighbors and the look on everyones face, especially the children, made the sleep deprivation in October worth it!

But I myself am definately not a fan of HOA's. Your home is your castle. What i do there is no ones business but my own. But I try to be respectful...within reason :)

It's not hard to figure out who has the personal agenda ;)

I have done mine from 7-10 but it is set up after each song there is a 5 minute break where all the lights come on static