Light-O-Rama Forums

I Can Honestly Say I Am.....

Steven Singleton Jr.

starting to get confused when it comes to all the new functions for the LOR software. Having been with LOR many years I was comfy with all that it could do. Now however with all the additional items that it can do really has me confused and wondering if I can progress past the normal uses of the LOR software. One of the things that really has me confused is the dmx and E1.31 discussions. I fancy myself a pretty computer literate person but everything when I am reading and trying to learn is starting to turn my brain to mush. lol Just wondering if there are any others who are having the same issue trying to learn all of the new portions that are being added to LOR or maybe its just me who is confused. Just want to tell Dan that I love the LOR family and will stick with them for all of my lighting needs even if his new ideas give me a headache sometimes. :P

The great thing is that Dan is selling, or working on items like CCR, CCB and CCP that give the ability to incorporate pixel technology without requiring you to learn about the newer technologies. You can do a very impressive show without stepping out of the abilities of just the standard controller hardware sold from LOR, and your own light strings. Or you can add with the new pixel products they are providing, or if you are one of the people demanding the ability to do large quantities of DMX, or pixels without LOR support, you can now do so without leaving the LOR S3 platform.

The great thing about the S3 software is you can use as few, or as many of the available features as you want. If you really wanted to, you could still sequence much the same way you would have in LOR 1.0 back in 2003. But with all the new time-saving features, it's worth your while to try to learn what's available (and decide how YOU want to sequence).

As far as E1.31, it's an advanced feature and most people will know if they need it because the products they are using will demand it. If not, you probably can safely ignore it :)

• Like 1

Yep going to wait a little while longer before upgrading to S3 so that I can get the longest amount of upgrade time available. lol Seems like there are updated almost monthly.

Yep going to wait a little while longer before upgrading to S3 so that I can get the longest amount of upgrade time available. lol Seems like there are updated almost monthly.

When renewing your license it is good for one year, regardless of the version number. You will note the licenses state something to the effect of, "Max Version: 3.10 (and any future versions released by June 18, 2013)"

So if version 3.9.0 comes out on June 17th, 2013, your license would cover it.

I'm right there with you Steve. I pretty much have achieved the display I dreamed about. I don't really see myself taking it all to the next level. I'll continue to tweak and change some things here and there with some new props and stuff but I don't see myself getting heavy into RGB or DMX.

Yeah I know Don it is just different then the old days when we first bought the first one and then for several years everything was alright now the licensing only last a year for new upgrades. Figure I will get S3 in a few months when I really start to get down to business with the display. Brian I really like the RGB and the DMX items that I have seen many here do with their displays and would love to do it BUT can't take that much out of the house budget when I have 3 kiddos that always seem to be needing something.

Yeah I know Don it is just different then the old days when we first bought the first one and then for several years everything was alright now the licensing only last a year for new upgrades. Figure I will get S3 in a few months when I really start to get down to business with the display. Brian I really like the RGB and the DMX items that I have seen many here do with their displays and would love to do it BUT can't take that much out of the house budget when I have 3 kiddos that always seem to be needing something.

You might want to rethink that. Now would be a better time to learn. Last minute learning can lead to a lot of fustration and possible delays in support because everyone will be busy working on Halloween and Christmas. Remember last fall with the influx of a lot of newbies wanting all kinds of answers without reading the threads?

• Like 1

Not really too worried as I have many sequences that just need to be updated to the new setup for this year. Not sure how much new stuff I will do but I know that no one in my new neighborhood has ever seen it as the last time I did my animated display was 2 years ago in Florida. Seems like there are always newbies with lots of questions that just want to cherry pick the questions without looking for the answer themselves. That is one reason I have been trying to learn as much as I could now about S3. It gives me plenty of time to learn from here and then put it to use.

• Like 1

I'm going to put on my salesman hat here for a minute...

(warning! shameless plugs and bias ahead! ^_^ )

I personally would upgrade NOW, even if that means needing to pay sooner sometime in the future. Why? Currently a renewal (which will take you from S2 to S3) is only $30. I know I'm a bit biased, but the Visualizer alone is worth $30 :D

For an even better value, $46 will get you a renewal PLUS the 2 CCR SuperStar add on.

So, if you qualify for the S3 upgrade, do it now. Later should you need to pay to upgrade, it's only $30/$46.

• Like 1

Look at SuperStarLights.com, I know its Brain's website, as well Superstar. Look at the videos, this is 100% LOR to my knowledge. The CCR tree is nothing less amazing and this is not using China, Outside board, all LOR hardware and software. There are plenty of people not jumping into new tech with amazing displays on here. Don G's display, I wouldnt change a thing, its already over the top, bright and well done. My display is awful, so why not upgrade everything. If you do not need all the crazy stuff, then dont get it.

As for Mike's plug, cant blame him no matter how you look at it hes right. The newsoftware is backwards compatible with your sequences, you get the visualizer, and everyone will one day want the advanced license. The SuperStar add on is good as well, that instant sequencer is fun if your pressed for time and will work with Incans, LEDs, or Smart strips.

I have to agree with Brian. Even though I am not wearing a saleman hat (because I don't have one) what he mentions makes great sense.

One of the best things I like about the LOR upgrades is that they add features, without replacing old ones.

You could go from S1 to S3 and the layout would be very similar. Even if you only used a few new features, it would be a easy transition.

And trying out a few now and then is a good way to learn what the new tools can do.

Scott

The CCR tree is nothing less amazing and this is not using China, Outside board, all LOR hardware and software.

I may be incorrect, but aren't the CCR's made in China... :rolleyes:

Edited by jimswinder

I'm really glad I came across this post. I've been taking a break since last season and just getting back into things now. Before last season, I upgraded to v3 but decided to go back to v2.9.4 since I was comfortable with it and didn't feel like learning all the new things(my head also spun with all the new language that was/is being thrown around).

Towards the end of last season I bought a ton of RGB LED strips and started looking into v3 and converting some sequences into RGB.

Then it hit me... this doesn't feel fun anymore. I'm comfortable with v2.9.4... it does what I want... I like our display... my family and friends like our display... the family and I are good at setting up and tearing down our display... I like v2.9.4. I guess I just don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones anymore since I'm happy with what I/we have. :)

I ended up selling 18 of the 20 RGB strips, a DC controller, two 20a power supplies, and some wire to a local arcade and set everything up for them. They love them, the customers love them, and I love looking at them *there*. I kept two of the strips for use to use for lighting down in our basement arcade and I'm just using cheap Chinese controllers for them for the basics.

And I just notided that I only have one more version upgrade before my license expires? I hope v2.9.4 never expires. :D

And I just notided that I only have one more version upgrade before my license expires? I hope v2.9.4 never expires. :D

Just to clarify, your current software will never expire. The expire time on your account refers to the ability to upgrade to a new version.

I may be incorrect, but aren't the CCR's made in China... :rolleyes:

I guess I should clarify, not using RayWu for parts to DIY. The CCR is made in china, not exactly what I was aiming at in the point though. For all I know Ray might even supply Dan with the strips? Just saying it was all done with LOR parts and accesories, not having to piece it together.

Just to clarify, your current software will never expire. The expire time on your account refers to the ability to upgrade to a new version.

Well that's good to know. Only real bummer for me is that I haven't really upgraded to v3 and I'm almost at the point of needing a new license to get current. ;) But yeah, that's my own fault for being set in my ways.

I think I could have said it differently.

If today, 7/25 your license is good for "any version released by 8/15/2012" then you will always be able to run any version of the software up to what version is relased by 8/15/12.

If you decided to run 2.9.4 this season, and upgrade next season, you would be able to - up to any version that was released by 8/15/12.