Light-O-Rama Forums

Are These Hackable?

Torqumada286

Found this in a local store today and read on this board or another about GE RGB LEDs that were hackable to control them. Is this the product people are talking about?

c5mcwfrgtv96jx9z4.jpg

Torqumada

Yes, they are "hackable". I will be using about 1,500 bulbs in my display this year. Each bulb individually controlled.

how much are they, and what store!

Hmmm, should I share or not share that information? ;)

Hobby Lobby for $49.99. I happened to have one of their 40% of coupons, so I snagged a box out of curiosity. I won't be doing RBG this year, but might pick up some more boxes for later on.

Torqumada

Guest wbottomley

Yes they definitely are, I think that Joshua 1 System's E1.31 Controllers even support these.

J1Sys does not support GECE as of right now. I check the product line-up to make sure.

You can run about 27 boxes of these off of 1 E681

I haven't seen this documented anywhere. Where did that info come from?

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

That would be only one channel per light. Remember... RGB is 3 channels. No more than 170 pixels per E681 unless JSJ has gotten more universes in the firmware upgrade.

The E681 is 4 universes. I have 640 GE pixels hooked up to one right now. Trying to add a star to it to go all the way to 680 pixels which is its max number of single pixels. If you do grouping it is capible of driving many more. But you know all this, I think you are just messing with me :)

Guest wbottomley

That would be only one channel per light. Remember... RGB is 3 channels. No more than 170 pixels per E681 unless JSJ has gotten more universes in the firmware upgrade.

170 pixels per universe equals to 680 pixels per device. The new firmware suppose to get more.

Where the hell is my mind tonight? I believe it's time for a vacation!

I hadn't heard about the new firmware possibly giving more. That would be cool, because I might just need one more 681 before the season starts. Vacations are good, just got back from one a week ago. Would love to sneak in one more before the summer is over.

The new firmware suppose to get more.

Do you have more details on this? I was going to group my pixels to lessen the need for more E681's, but decided I don't want to. Would be cool if I could just download firmware and make it work :)

J1Sys does not support GECE as of right now. I check the product line-up to make sure.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere. Where did that info come from?

Just doing the math, you must have had a long day. As the posts from after that I assume youve found your way. E681 can control 682 pixels if its full to capacity. So 27 boxes of 25 pixels each is 675 pixels, just under what you can run in total on the E681. Its ok man, we all have our nights.

Also as for more universes, in my quick conversation with Jim I think its not more universes for the board, but you can output all 4 univereses through 1 channel block of the board. So out of bank 1 you could run all 681 pixels in 1 long string (power injection required). I know the Joshua systems have some neat tricks with many univerese.

Edited by GoofyGuy

Just doing the math, you must have had a long day. As the posts from after that I assume youve found your way. E681 can control 682 pixels if its full to capacity.

Not sure if that was a typo or not, but it's actually 680 pixels. The reason is that a single pixel cannot span multiple universes. So one universe is 512 channels, divide that by three and you get 170 pixels with 2 extra "wasted" channels. Since the 68x has 4 universes, that's 170*4=680.

Not sure if that was a typo or not, but it's actually 680 pixels. The reason is that a single pixel cannot span multiple universes. So one universe is 512 channels, divide that by three and you get 170 pixels with 2 extra "wasted" channels. Since the 68x has 4 universes, that's 170*4=680.

A quick chat with Jim and what could be a misunderstanding on my part but you should in the future be able to funnel all the 4 universe through 1 output on the board. That being said in theory it can run 682 pixels. Jeff I think knows more about this than I do, but if he see's this chat is another question. That is why the next generation is called the E682. Heck I can make that work without the 16 outputs on the board. With power injection and creative wiring I could make it work. Even better the 2811 pixel can have 20 feet of wire before 1st pixel and even further between them. Longest I have tested is 20 feet between pixels and this was just a test extending a strip and had 20 feet of wire to test with.

You are 100% correct on the current software 680 is the full amount based on that you cant run part of a pixel on a universe. As current software you are also correct.

Also spotted your signature, Ive passed that line into illness.