Light-O-Rama Forums

Edit Permissions?

TJ Hvasta

Editing Time-Out  

1. 1. Should we raise the edit limit to 30 minutes?

• Yes, please.
    • No thanks.

Trying to edit a post I just did in Compenents, I get You do not have permissions to Edit this, AFTER the message opens.. well, apparently Editting is allowed for like.. 5 minutes after the post goes up..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Yes, the limit on editing posts is currently at 5 minutes.

Shall we raise it to 30? Poll attached.

Sixty works for me. Gives Jim Winder just about the right amount of time to answer his own question... :P:) :)

• Like 3

Why do you even need a time limit? There are occasions where correcting misinformation is quite useful and leaving errors can be misleading.

Why do you even need a time limit? There are occasions where correcting misinformation is quite useful and leaving errors can be misleading.

Very good point. Having incorrect/dangerous/unsafe on the forums is not a good idea.

If some one posts something that you believe is dangerous or unsafe, warn the person politely and explain what the problem is. Also, please notify a forum administrator so we can edit the original post if warranted. We don't want searches to find dangerous or unsafe posts which may be read without the context of your warning.

Sixty works for me. Gives Jim Winder just about the right amount of time to answer his own question... :P:D :D

Ha! I think 60 to 120 minutes would be a better idea. 30 minutes only gives you enough time to brew a pot of coffee to realize what you should have said. This would lead to better organized threads as there won't be quick posts by the same person to fix what should have been said.

In the real world, when you say something to someone there is not "taking it back". Forums have enough internet tough guys who want to say something and then silently delete/modify it. Be an adult: when you post something stick to it. If you were wrong, say you were wrong and move on. No such thing as a "do over" in real life and their shouldn't be in a holiday forum because some people want to back off.

On a similar topic mentioned here:

Very good point. Having incorrect/dangerous/unsafe on the forums is not a good idea.

If some one posts something that you believe is dangerous or unsafe, warn the person politely and explain what the problem is. Also, please notify a forum administrator so we can edit the original post if warranted. We don't want searches to find dangerous or unsafe posts which may be read without the context of your warning.

If something is deemed dangerous or needs to be edited I would expect that the poster would be notified as to why. Finding posts suddenly deleted is not OK. Also, as long as the time & user stamp is in tact WITH A REASON than that's fine. But ninja editing just makes people angry.

• Like 1

A time limit sounds more like a band aid to catch someone that’s being disruptive whereas flagging down a moderator for the less than 1% rogue poster would keep the threads clean of unneeded correction posts.

Reporting spam and dangerous or unsafe posts should be a responsibility that everyone should willingly ensue.

I’m a member on other forums that have no such time limit and it’s never been a problem. Spam gets reported by the members and it’s removed immediately and the IP address that it came from is blocked. A user gets 3 warnings for unconstructive posts then their username gets disabled for 30 days.

Pretty much, the members are the moderators and they keep the forum clean. Maybe it doesn’t work that way here.

I voted for "Yes - make it 30" but would be happy with any larger number.

Maybe we could turn off the limit and give it a test drive, with the idea that if it gets abused, then it can be reinstated? Maybe "abusing the post edit feature" can be added to the list of warning points in the forum guidelines.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, if you see a mistake/error in your post, I think 30 minutes is an ample amount of time to make the edits you need. On the other hand, if we see are supposed to "warn the person politely and explain what the problem is", how are they supposed to be able to go back and edit their original post if 30 minutes has already passed from their original post.

Hmmm...still pondering...

No, there shouldnt have to be a time limit at all.. If someone says something offensive, copy it if you feel you need evidence, but as it was said, there are many more forums out there with no time limit and the grownups manage it just fine.. should be the same here..

• Like 1

No poll. This is an open vote, just say what you want.

There actually was a poll at one time, which has been removed evidently. I'm guessing that means a decision has been made :P

Edited by Tim Fischer

There actually was a poll at one time, which has been removed evidently. I'm guessing that means a decision has been made :P

I don't know where the poll went. Frustrating.

Let's try again.

What about us guys who are lousy touch typers and realize too late that our poor spelling/structure makes us look like a schlepp?

tj