Light-O-Rama Forums

GE Arch Test

dougd

SWood wrote:

dougd wrote:
Here is a picture during the day. I will of coarse cable tie the wires down once the arch is finalized.

Wow thats excactly what I had planned for mine! Can you put a closeup pic or explain how you mounted the bulbs to the pvc? Thanks!

It was almost to easy. With the GE light they came with a clip for the lights as shown in the picture. All I did was mark the PVC with the spacing I wanted. Pre drill a small pilot hole on my marks. All it needed was one screw in hold each clip to the PVC. Snap the lights in and the arch is just about complete. Hope that helps.

Attached files 309267=16912-WP_000109.jpg

dougd wrote:

It was almost to easy. With the GE light they came with a clip for the lights as shown in the picture. All I did was mark the PVC with the spacing I wanted. Pre drill a small pilot hole on my marks. All it needed was one screw in hold each clip to the PVC. Snap the lights in and the arch is just about complete. Hope that helps.

Awesome! Didn't think about that. Thanks for the pic!

Are these in your front yard right now Doug? If so pay no attention to the man in the silver dodge loading them in the bed of his truck.
I'm just gonna "borrow" them until after Christmas LOL. Awesome work!

P.S please leave the other 15 strands out front beside the arch. Thanks

harrison0550 wrote:

Are these in your front yard right now Doug? If so pay no attention to the man in the silver dodge loading them in the bed of his truck.

LOL!
Doug,
I am with you on the group buy. would love to have my e680 and start playing now. The ELOR is not ready yet anyway.
Great job on the arch!

harrison0550 wrote:

Haha, the dog would get you first :D

We need to work on some stuff together. You seem to have a pretty good handle on this RGB stuff. I might have to pick your brain here soon.

geronc wrote:

This is nice. Give me something else to think about with my 32 strands of GE lights.

I wish I had picked up a few more now. I could have easily gotten another 10 boxes which would have been enough for a mega tree. I thought sequencing was going to hard was what stopped me. Once I broke out the RGB channels to there individual colors and got creative with groups and tracks, it really wasn't to hard to sequence them.

I got lucky. They were selling them for $10 for the 32 strand lights. I picked up 13 for $10 and the rest for $20. Couldn't pass it up.

dougd wrote:

The lights are the GE lights that are sold by the retail stores around Christmas. I picked mine up from Home Depot after Christmas for $20 a box. Regular price is $80. The ones that I bought had 36 lights and the length is 29 feet. There are other ways to light them besides E681 but thats the way I figured I would do it. I have 16 sets times 36 lights equal 576 pixels. Times 3 for each color equals 1728 which is 4 universes. E681 seemed like the way to handle it. If you search Ebay for "ge color effects" a few will show up.

Our Canadian Costco was selling something very close to this, this past fall, but they were not GE, & they had flat magnetic bases I believe. They were vibrant in colour and had 50 light count per string & did a number of different effects.

Below is from the Canadian forum....

"You all know what C9 & C7 lights strings are like right? Flat wire and flat socket bottoms right? Well these LEDs have flat wire & flat bottoms. They come in 50 count strings but I forgot the price. So please let the folks know the price if any of you see this LEDs lights strings in the Costco store where you shop. I think they are called "Luminous".

lightzilla

The Halifax store has the GE 50 COUNT multi changing color c9's for
$ 69.99 a set the DAMOUTH store had none very nice but to pricey for me at this time

Blair

Anyhow, if these sound the same as the GE ones .......but cheaper & more lights......do you think they would work with the Lor DC board if it is make for 12v via a power Wall Wart ? Even if I can simple go from Red to Green to Blue.

lightzilla wrote:

dougd wrote:
The lights are the GE lights that are sold by the retail stores around Christmas. I picked mine up from Home Depot after Christmas for $20 a box. Regular price is $80. The ones that I bought had 36 lights and the length is 29 feet. There are other ways to light them besides E681 but thats the way I figured I would do it. I have 16 sets times 36 lights equal 576 pixels. Times 3 for each color equals 1728 which is 4 universes. E681 seemed like the way to handle it. If you search Ebay for "ge color effects" a few will show up.

Our Canadian Costco was selling something very close to this, this past fall, but they were not GE, & they had flat magnetic bases I believe. They were vibrant in colour and had 50 light count per string & did a number of different effects.

Below is from the Canadian forum....

"You all know what C9 & C7 lights strings are like right? Flat wire and flat socket bottoms right? Well these LEDs have flat wire & flat bottoms. They come in 50 count strings but I forgot the price. So please let the folks know the price if any of you see this LEDs lights strings in the Costco store where you shop. I think they are called "Luminous".

lightzilla

The Halifax store has the GE 50 COUNT multi changing color c9's for
$ 69.99 a set the DAMOUTH store had none very nice but to pricey for me at  this time 

Blair

Anyhow, if these sound the same as the GE ones .......but cheaper & more lights......do you think they would work with the Lor DC board if it is make for 12v via a power Wall Wart ? Even if I can simple go from Red to Green to Blue.

I dont believe they would work with a DC board. The way I understand there are just 3 wires, +5 volts, ground, and a data line. It would take some sort of "intelligent" controller to light them. As of right now I think the only thing that will control them is the Sandevices E680 or E681 controller.

Nice price.. Product looks great but not enough information to really tell or a number to call.