Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Broadcasting (great way to be heard)

PMC

This is for the people that think they need 5,10,25,50 or 100 watts for their lightshow to be heard in visual range of their house......beat this FM facility

I don't know Paul. Looks like it takes too many lights for that tower.

I thought that I saw a drop of bird poop on the tower that is probably causing some harmonics problem with the sound as well - LOL.

I am no expert, but maybe you could broadcast something a little more than 2ch audio threw that setup. How much trouble can happen, if you get hungry and pop some popcorn in a microwave in there?

What about the take off angle of the lobes? Are people able to hear the transmitter if the take off angle is to high? Do, they need to sit back about a mile to hear the music and use binoculars to see the show?

Thanks for the tour. I didnt catch the plate voltage and current. I used to work on a ??? 208U3 H.F. amp 2700V 1.5A. Kicked out a 3KW signal on 3-30MHz, self tuning.

I see EDM just added this setup to their website, but it says it is not to be used in the United States. I have therefore notified the proper government authorities and you can expect a visit from the men in black suits. I believe the current fine for such an infraction is they take your birthday away for a period of 3 years.

amcdonald307 wrote:

I believe the current fine for such an infraction is they take your birthday away for a period of 3 years.
Darn...You found the fountain of youth :) Where can I find a million mega watt transmitter :P

wbottomley wrote:

Let me guess... 25 or 50KW station? This is strictly looking at the antenna array (ERP).

TPO (Transmitter Power Output) = 20.2 kW

WLTJ-FM Technical Info:
Station Status Licensed Class B
Effective Radiated Power 43,000 Watts
Height above Avg. Terrain 260 meters (853 feet)
Height above Ground Level 162 meters (531 feet)
Height above Sea Level 564 meters (1850 feet)
Antenna Pattern Non-Directional
Transmitter Location 40° 29' 43" N, 80° 00' 17" W
License Expires August 01 2014

thedementedelf wrote:

Whatever station that is is broadcasting at 1500 or 15,000watts.

ExIxF E=Volatage I=Efficiency F=Current

E=5
I=.82
F=3

take the Plate Current which = 2.6 amps
(x) Plate Volts = 9.7 kV
(x) the efficiency = 82% or .82
= 20.6 kW

cenote wrote:

I am no expert, but maybe you could broadcast something a little more than 2ch audio threw that setup. How much trouble can happen, if you get hungry and pop some popcorn in a microwave in there?

if you look closely as I walk into the transmitter room just as you walk through the door you will see a rack with my HD equipment, if I would configure it differently I could broadcast the main audio in 5.1 surround

but I am in HD1, HD2, HD3 & HD4

Guest wbottomley

PMC wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Let me guess... 25 or 50KW station? This is strictly looking at the antenna array (ERP).

TPO (Transmitter Power Output) = 20.2 kW

WLTJ-FM Technical Info:
Station Status      Licensed Class B
Effective Radiated Power      43,000 Watts
Height above Avg. Terrain      260 meters (853 feet)
Height above Ground Level      162 meters (531 feet)
Height above Sea Level      564 meters (1850 feet)
Antenna Pattern      Non-Directional
Transmitter Location      40° 29' 43" N,  80° 00' 17" W
License Expires      August 01 2014

Not a bad guess huh? LOL

Down here... we have monster stations - 100KW ERP.

The station I work for has an 805KW ERP. :P

Very interesting. Can I ask what finials you are using and how many. My 208U3 used one 1200A7 if I remember correctly. Been about 29 yrs and memory is slipping. Again enjoyed the tour.

I like Collins, I took a sawzall to one 12 years ago and enjoyed every :),
Continental bought Collin's and I have a 816-R which is the Grand-Son of a Collins Transmitter

but to answer your question, my Harris HT-30 uses a 4CX20,000D (tetrode) grounded grid/cathode

PMC wrote:

I like Collins, I took a sawzall to one 12 years ago and enjoyed every :),
Continental bought Collin's and I have a 816-R which is the Grand-Son of a Collins Transmitter

but to answer your question, my Harris HT-30 uses a 4CX20,000D (tetrode) grounded grid/cathode

yes I can understand your feelings about collins. I have never worked on a Harris. I once had to replace the final tank circuit on that 208U3 and it was a royal pain.
Going to have to look up that tube. Bet it is a monster. Thats one thing about the 4CX1200A7 I hated. Got to put the tube into the socket so that the grid contacts (fingers) did not hit the contacts. then push down and rotate so that the fingers slide into the contacts on the socket. So easy to bend or miss the contacts. Also they did not design the servo amps correctly and we burnt out the current limiting resistor due to not enough wattage. I was over in Turkey and went up to the cal lab and got some nicrome wire and built a resistor for the amp. Ah the fun times and memories..