Light-O-Rama Forums

Printing the software manual

dave carlstedt

I wish to have the software manual printed by a third party...such as Kinko's. Has anyone done this? Since it is over 500 pages, I dont want to use my printer, as it is much cheaper and faster to job it out. Has anyone else done so....thanks

It sounds like you will printing the help files. If so, there will be lots of redundancy. I have not played with the help files for S3, but S2 certainly has a fair amount, as I expect S3 will, hence the high page #.

Yes, I have used Kinko's to print manuals for conferences and presentations. Take them a pdf, and they will take it from there, for a price (usually a pretty reasonable one)

Guest wbottomley

dave carlstedt wrote:

I wish to have the software manual printed by a third party...such as Kinko's. Has anyone done this? Since it is over 500 pages, I dont want to use my printer, as it is much cheaper and faster to job it out. Has anyone else done so....thanks

I usually take mine to Moses and he's carve them into stone. It works pretty well until someone decides to break them. Other than that, they'll last for thousands of years.

wbottomley wrote:

dave carlstedt wrote:

I usually take mine to Moses and he's carve them into stone. It works pretty well until someone decides to break them. Other than that, they'll last for thousands of years.

But then you have to make rubbings to take with you to the job site... :shock:

dave carlstedt wrote:

thanks, one and all.
I found a website that will do it for $10. Thanks

$10 for over 500 pages?? That's a steal!

What website is it?

Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Well I wound up printing it on my own printer....when all said and done, the price was up to 48 bucks....after shipping and handling, and a couple other items i had to choose....oh well. thankd

It seemed to good to be true, and when it seems that way it usually is.

Hidden costs - sort of reminds you of airlines these days...

I am going to get caught one of these days, but I print the manual at work on our huge Xerox WorkCentre. Making two sided copies it only takes about 10 minutes or less to print.

Although I use the printed manual quite a bit, I don't think you can knock the ease of maneuvering around the on-line manual. The hot links are outstanding and you can search very easily. If I am getting into unchartered territory, I usually bring up the manual on my second monitor and do the work on the primary side, that way I am not tabbing back and forth between screens.

• 2 weeks later...

jim6918 wrote:

I am going to get caught one of these days, but I print the manual at work on our huge Xerox WorkCentre. Making two sided copies it only takes about 10 minutes or less to print.

Although I use the printed manual quite a bit, I don't think you can knock the ease of maneuvering around the on-line manual. The hot links are outstanding and you can search very easily. If I am getting into unchartered territory, I usually bring up the manual on my second monitor and do the work on the primary side, that way I am not tabbing back and forth between screens.

Older folks seem to do better learning with media they have been using most of their adult life and are accustomed to - printed manuals.

The younger are often more comfortable reading on line, because that is what they are accustomed to.

While this certainly doesn't apply to everyone, there is a fair amount of literature in the educational fields that confirms the different ways folks learn.

Greg

I know this doesn't apply toall, but in general