Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing RGBs

marsh28

I have been messing around with sequencing RBG spotlights on the sequence editor and am confused about how to do certain effects. For example, how do you change the intensity of a certain color or do fades? I know how to use the color fade to change colors but don't know how to get other effects to work.

To do a fade, use the color fade tool, but instead of on the left side your prefered starting color and right side ending color. Make the right side color using the choose button black. Then when you click and drag to your desired length of time you have a fade out. To fade upto a color its the same principal.

Under the fade tool, use the choose custom color, on the right side I believe is an intensity/fader. Once you select exactly what your looking for, on the opposite side of the fade tool push copy and now paint your custom color!

No problem, I only know becuase Ive spent 30 hour just staring at the screens. Havent really started to sequence all of it yet.

make sure you try it out with your lights to see how the various fades look. When fading RGB you get interesting effects as you fade between non-primary colors.. i.e. fading full on white to black will take you through some interesting colors due to the different intensities of each color.

Yeah, I've heard programming RGB requires you to have at least one RGB flood hooked up to see what the actual effect looks like. Obviously is a LOT more time consuming that regular sequencing but hey, its only January:D

I have nothing hooked up most running in DMX and it plays back fine in the Visualizer in S3. No dongles at all attached and it shows me what it will play like.

GoofyGuy wrote:

I have nothing hooked up most running in DMX and it plays back fine in the Visualizer in S3. No dongles at all attached and it shows me what it will play like.

You are correct, all will play and be viewable in the visualizer. Just recommending that you connect up a fixture to see what the colors actually look like both for creating the colors you want and seeing how the fades behave between different colors.

heystew wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

You are correct, all will play and be viewable in the visualizer. Just recommending that you connect up a fixture to see what the colors actually look like both for creating the colors you want and seeing how the fades behave between different colors.

Gotcha, I havent recieved them yet so Im just running in the dark per say. I know some strips the Red might be stronger than the green so the colors tend to be more pink unless you adjust for it.

Great tip I appreciate that oversight on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

(Dumb question alert!)
Is there a way to fade from one color to the next without the transition colors in between? I have not yet started sequencing my rgb strips so I thought I would ask.

SteveMaris wrote:

(Dumb question alert!)
Is there a way to fade from one color to the next without the transition colors in between? I have not yet started sequencing my rgb strips so I thought I would ask.

that don't sound like a fade that sounds like it's just changing colors ,so yes you can do that.

Jeff Millard wrote:

If you click the RGB button on the channel button it drops down the three channels so you can program them as you did with plain ole' channels.

Jeff

WOW! I took stupid question to a whole new level of stupid.
Thanks. :D

just keep in mind that any time you fade more than two colors at the same time, the resulting color will be a mix of the two during the transition.
i.e. fading Red UP while fading Blue down will hit purple and some others during the transition. A quick transition you won't notice, but a slow one will be very noticeable.

SteveMaris wrote:

(Dumb question alert!)

If you do not want a blend you fade down to black or white, then fade up to your next color from black or white. Do not use the blend tool or the color fade tool with both colors on it.

For example if you want green to orange, use the color tool with green on the left side Black on the right side and use your mouse to pull the fade your wanted amount of time, then choose new colors this time black on the left, orange on the right and once again lay down your time. This will make sure there is no blend of the two colors.

GoofyGuy wrote:

SteveMaris wrote:
(Dumb question alert!)

If you do not want a blend you fade down to black or white, then fade up to your next color from black or white.  Do not use the blend tool or the color fade tool with both colors on it. 

For example if you want green to orange, use the color tool with green on the left side Black on the right side and use your mouse to pull the fade your wanted amount of time, then choose new colors this time black on the left, orange on the right and once again lay down your time.  This will make sure there is no blend of the two colors.

Thank you. This will be helpful. :cool:

Here is how I have started working on my RGB sequencing. Its a bit of work at first but then sequencing afterwards is more normal for me.

Lets say we are working with a 50 pixel string. Add a dmx universe with 150 channels called RGB String. Right click on the first channel and click convert to RGB channel. Click the box also do this for the following channels and type in 50. You now have a group with 50 RGB channels.

Since I only want to only sequence in Red, Green and Blue, I am not quite ready to use cyan christmas lights, I want to break out those channels. I right click on the group and select copy to a new track.

I now have a track with my RGB string in it. I first degroup the group. Then I degroup all the RGB channels. So now I have 150 channels that are red, green and blue. I then dupliace that track 3 times and call the tracks red, green and blue. I then go into the red track and delete all the green and blue channels. Go into the green track and delete red and blue and so on.

What I an now left with is 3 tracks called red, green and blue that have only those colors in them. You can now sequence like any other normal channel.

Hope that makes sense, it helped me sequence RGB much easier. I havent tried this with lights yet, but in the visulizer it works as I would expect it to.

Is there an easy way to do this without having to go in and manually assign each channel to its universe and channel number?

'Add a dmx universe with 150 channels called RGB String'

Right click in channel area and choose add device. Choose your device as DMX Universe. Then in DMX Universe setting pick your Universe and then select how many channels you want to add. In my example you would have to choose 160, because there is no 150 in the drop down box.