Light-O-Rama Forums

Structural Safety

testraub

jimswinder wrote:

but since you are just ignoring this, I would use 1/2" grey PVC :P

Touche Jim. :P:P:P:P:P

I'll give it 5 out of 5.

Pics look like a bit of bubble gum and bailing wire lash up to me...

As for the pipe having a welding ridge on the inside. And you want to put a piece of pipe inside to strengthen the coupling joint (which is a good idea). How about taking that smaller piece of pipe and grind a small divot so that it will slide inside of larger pipe. Only need to go about 1' above and below to do the job. Then drill a small hole and drive in a roll pin to hold it in place from one side. Do this just below the coupler.

But I still say guy wires are your best friend..

I do not know how many of you know Jackie and Walter Monkhouse. Walter came up with the idea of the JUMP pole. Instructions for building one are here.

http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/magic_christmas_news_002.htm

I have seen this in action and it works well. Jackie can put up their mega tree alone while Walter does other display items.

Chuck

I've seen it, but just trying my own thing :P Max, please read all the posts. I "think" I have enough guy wires :D And I did think of taking my grinder to the smaller pipe and putting a line down it to make it fit.

Tom Straub

Since this is a thread about Structural safety, If I wanted to build a free standing (no guy wires) pole with a 3' star on top 10' tall. What size black cast iron pipe would you guys recommend?

Well you don't want cast iron pipe. Cast iron does not bend, it just breaks. You want bkack steel pipe, some times refered to as gas pipe. Whats most important is the base you use.
You might get by with 1" but I would sugest at least 1.25". Myself I would use 1.5" because it fits nicely inside 2". I would concrete 2 feet of 2" pipe in the ground for a base. Either put a cap on the bottom or concrete under it so the smaller pipe doesn't sink. Get an expandable plug (we call em dollar plugs) to plug it off in the off season. Leave the pipe a couple of inches short of the ground so you don't hit it with the mower.

here's mine. 13' tree 3/4" black gas pipe. built a stand and used 4 guys all at the top. it even went on top the arbor in the picture.

Attached files 304015=16680-pic01.JPG

Pretty much the same base as mine. I had to re-inforce it due to it bending the wood tho. Planning a few changes due to the dang thing getting so heavy, and I am getting older :D

Tom Straub

I agree it is heavy...try lifting it 9' off the ground and putting it on my arbor. I didn't notice the wood bending and we had a heck of a wind and rain storm this season.

I want to try something different but don't know if i'll have time to get to it.