Light-O-Rama Forums

mini-director w/mp3 player

JohnD

I purchased the mini-director for next Christmas and I'm wondering if this can set outside? The area it would be in gets very little snow if any. The is nothing in the manual.

Stupid non edit button,

Also it requires a timer, whenever the unit has power it starts the show, when it loses power the show stops. So you need to either have it on an external switch or timer to be standalone.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Stupid non edit button,

Also it requires a timer, whenever the unit has power it starts the show, when it loses power the show stops. So you need to either have it on an external switch or timer to be standalone.

You set a time of day file on the sd card when you load your sequences. Connecting the unit to a controller will activate the show when your show turns on. You do not need an alternate power source.

Dale W wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Stupid non edit button,

You set a time of day file on the sd card when you load your sequences. Connecting the unit to a controller will activate the show when your show turns on. You do not need an alternate power source.

Not on a mini-director. There is no clock so it has to be powered on or off to start and stop the show.

I am assuming mini-director from the thread title "mini-director w/mp3 player"

Paul Roberson wrote:

Dale W wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:
Stupid non edit button,

Not on a mini-director. There is no clock so it has to be powered on or off to start and stop the show.

I am confused i thought he was talking about the card with the mp3 player

Putting it inside a controller as was mentioned will work or better yet put the Mini Director Unit in its own enclosure and that way you will not risk the chance of getting moisture on the controller board each time you want to put in a different SD card.

So lets say you had to go away & you cannot be home to place a SD card into the Mini Director, well you would need to place an SD card in the Mini Director before you head out & putt all the controller units on outdoor timers and then when the timers come on the show will begin.

You cannot get away with just adding a timer to the first controller because any controller that is not on a timer will start the show, so you will need a timer on all the controllers, unless however you have 7 controllers plugged into 1 out door plug in, then 1 timer will do the trick for that set of controllers.

Works for me, except I leave mine inside the house & run a cat5 cable out the front door.

No need for fancy boxes. I brought mine in every night. I kept it in a very high tech ziploc freezer bag to keep it dry.

It is not in a weatherproof enclosure to begin with, though you could put it in one. I prefer to have mine in the garage so I can swap cards if needed without going out in the cold/snow or into the yard where the show is going. In the manual, it explains how to easily attach a power cord so I could just plug it into a timer. Otherwise it can run off the power of the controller if the cat5 run to the controller is short. But then you have to have the controller on a timer instead (and the timer must be rated to sustain the load of the controller). Seemed easier to just have the timer in the garage with the mini-director there too (no enclosure needed then), right next to my FM transmitter. Therefore, just a cat5 has to run out to the first controller.

Dale W wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Dale W wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:
Stupid non edit button,

I am confused i thought he was talking about the card with the mp3 player

There are two different director units, the mini-director DOES NOT have a built in real time clock and therefore requires an external timer to start and stop the show, and uses an SD Card, but since no internal clock, no way to set any time on it.

The DC-MP3 Showtime Director has the real time clock and costs a lot more than the mini-director, this is the one I use and that you can set the time in various ways, via the Hardware Utility, a file on the SD Card or through the push buttons on the DC-MP3 Showtime Director itself.

This is the one already enclosed in a metal casing, but STILL requires to be mounted either inside a controller (if room) or inside another enclosure, my Showtime Director and FM Transmitter share the same box and goes outside, mounted on a wall.

Mini Director: http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html

Showtime Director: http://store.lightorama.com/inmp3di.html

Showtime Director (same as above, no metal case): http://store.lightorama.com/dicawimp3pl.html