Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Price On SPT-2 and Plugs

Ralph A

rbmurray210 wrote:

what is the difference in the "inline female vampire plug" and the "female vampire plug"?????

thanks

To my understanding, the inline version goes in the middle of a length of a wire and the regular version goes at the very end (opposite the male end).

So, for example, you could create a 20' cord that has a male plug at one end and 5 female plugs along the length of the cord (every 4 feet, for example), so that you can power 5 elements with a single wire and only have to use one male connector.

I ordered from WLC last year. Great service and zero complaints. If I needed more, I'd order with no concerns. I believe the deal last year was 100% upfront and he invoiced you for shipping right before mailing. I think I paid around $50 to ship two 1000' spools of SPT2 and about 500 plugs from Houston to VA.

Correct,

You can also do a bit of surgery on the "terminal" female plugs to allow the cord to pass through. I use a Dremel with a cone bit. Others use wire cutters but I don't like the sharp edges it sometimes leaves.

Either way- if the plugs are polarized (wide blade/narrow blade- wide slot/narrow slot) you have to keep them installed the same way. SPT-1&2 usually has one marked side, usually ribbed. Keep the Wide blade/slot on the marked/ribbed side.

During assembly I tend to go overboard and add a dab of dielectric silicone in the plug pocket(terminal/ends) and brush a bit of the dielectric silicone on the prongs) Overkill-yes, but I have time and I haven't had any failures.

MtDew4me wrote:

I ordered from WLC last year. Great service and zero complaints. If I needed more, I'd order with no concerns. I believe the deal last year was 100% upfront and he invoiced you for shipping right before mailing. I think I paid around $50 to ship two 1000' spools of SPT2 and about 500 plugs from Houston to VA.

I just talked to the guy at WLC, here is the scoop:
  • Its only SPT2 - He said he recommends 2 over 1 as it has more insulation, thus making it more durable than 1

• Its only green, not enough demand for white

• Must pay for your order minus shipping upfront. Shipping will be billed when it ships

He sounded like a great guy, answered all my question. Thanks Ralph A for posting this!

What gauge is the wire? Would this be similar to the indoor extension cords with no ground, or the heavy duty outdoor extenstions (3 prong)?

I spent way too much money this year buying extra outdoor extension cords from lowes(lifes) and wally world...

Is this a presale price, or is this something that will be available all year? The less stuff I need to build/buy this early in the season the better!!

George Simmons wrote:

A quick check of the WLC website linked by the OP indicated it is a pre-season price.

Are you saying that you checked the WLC website for info and found what you where looking for? Nice job! Way to go!

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
A quick check of the WLC website linked by the OP indicated it is a pre-season price.

Are you saying that you checked the WLC website for info and found what you where looking for? Nice job! Way to go!

Donny

Yes Donny, George is smart. He knows how to click the website link and see the information.