Light-O-Rama Forums

works from computer but not on mp3 director

Chuck Redding

I've been programming songs for a friend for the past few years. I tried to add a song this year and it won't play on the MP3 director. the other five songs still play, it just skips the new one. All songs are in mp3 format. Interesting thing is the song works with my light display. My lights are run straight from my computer though. I've checked the channel configuration for duplicates. I have tried different versions of the songs from different sources and none work.

Is it possible using v2.6 for sequencing and the boxes are 3 years old that the firmware needs updating?

Dunno but I would try something before I would go down that road. Try assigning a different song file (one that works) to the sequence and testing it. If it plays, you can just about figure that there is something wrong with the song file you are trying to use.

How are you loading the sequences onto the SD card? Through the LOR MP3 tab of the Hardware Utility right? Were the "old" songs added to the SD card at the same time as the new one (i.e., there isn't a way to just a single song to a pre-existing show on the card)? Size of SD card (old firmware on mp3 director only could use up to a certain size card)?

To answer your question, I doubt it is a firmware issue.

I had similar problem, verify all your songs are 128kbs; some of mine weren't and it caused erratic problems.
You can use Windows Explorer to check; right click and select bit rate I think.

I agree with wmilkie. I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director to run my show, I added a song last year to the mix and the new song didn't play, it was skipped as well. And I've also had new songs not be skipped, but HALT the show and not loop.

When I had either of these issues I put the SD Card into my SD Reader and viewed the MP3 files with the bitrate and other information. If the file is VBR and not CBR, this will cause these issues too.

I have found I can use up to 192kbps in my director, but all songs HAVE to be in CBR (Constant Bit Rate) or they won't work, or if they happen to work, may do erratic things.

I just use a music editor(like Audacity), load the offending song directly from the SD card, change it to 128k or 192k and make sure that VBR is UNCHECKED so that it creates a CBR format of the song. You may have to check or set something in the music editor to make the change from VBR to CBR.

I also change the ones on my Hard Drive after I change the SD file, but the above is the quickest way to change the file and get it working WITHOUT having to redo the entire import of your show and set it up all over again.

Hope this helps get your issue corrected.

not 100% sure about the vbr. It appears that the song was converted in cbr from looking at programs preferences. I've scrapped previous conversion software and downloaded Audacity. converting file using audacity and plan on trying on the mp3 director tomorrow. thanks for the help. we'll see what happens.