Light-O-Rama Forums

Giving up on S3 for now....

centauri61032

Ever since upgrading to S3, I have had nothing but trouble with a system that was stable previously. First it was the constant computer lockups. But it appears that was fixed with 3.1.4. But now there are all kinds of strange things that happen during my shows. Channels that light when they shouldn't, and vice-versa. Sometimes all the lights will go dark for short periods. Just a whole bunch of random stuff. I have checked the sequences, and they look fine. And they also run fine from the editor, but the same sequences will still mess up during shows.

Basically, I have had enough for now, and am just going to go back to S2. But before I do, has anyone done this already?? Now that the sequences have been saved as S3 sequences, what problems am I going to find by reverting to S2??

Thanks for any info!

You will not be able to run your sequences in S2 if they were saved in S3 I believe.

If you had a saved copy from before in another folder you might be good but if you haven't you are out of luck

Denis

If you've used the new Channel Grouping feature, then you would not be able to use a S3 sequence with S2.

Otherwise the sequence *should* be usable in S2.

OK, since I have disabled the compressed sequences, my show has made it through 2 full cycles without any errors. I have NO problems leaving the darn thing turned off, if that is what it takes. But is there anything I can/should do to try and troubleshoot the compression problem further?? (Basically, anything I can do to help LOR fix a bug, if it exists?)

Thanks VERY much for the suggestion! I really dreaded backing off to S2 at this point in the season.

centauri61032 wrote:

OK, since I have disabled the compressed sequences, my show has made it through 2 full cycles without any errors. I have NO problems leaving the darn thing turned off, if that is what it takes. But is there anything I can/should do to try and troubleshoot the compression problem further?? (Basically, anything I can do to help LOR fix a bug, if it exists?)

Thanks VERY much for the suggestion! I really dreaded backing off to S2 at this point in the season.

Try this.

Delete the .LCS files in your sequences directory. Then open them in the Sequence Editor and make a simple on/off change to one cell. Then re-save the file.

That will recreate the LCS files. It might also resolve some problems. Then again, it might not. There's troubleshooting for you! :P

At the moment no. I'm not the SE/Show Guru (that's Bob). However, I am starting to see some correlation between crashes and general weird behavior and using compressed sequences.

You can try to re-create the compressed sequences on your show machine.

1-Delete the .LCS files
2-Turn Compressed Sequences back ON
3-Open each sequence in the SE and make a change and then change it back (IE, turn a cell ON then turn it back off). This flags the sequence as being changed
4-Save the sequence.
5-Repeat 3 and 4 for all sequences in your show
6-Reboot and re-start the show
7-Monitor to see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for the suggestion (to both of you). However, I already tried that. I saw this idea on another thread with someone having similar problems, and tried it before throwing the towel earlier.

In fact, I tried this two ways... First, I tried just deleting the LCS files, and then letting the show rebuild them as they were used. That didn't help. Then I tried deleting them, and creating them myself using the sequencer editor. This did not work either. However I will say that the errors were different after using this method than they were the other way. But there were still severe errors.

But again, thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep watching here for other things you might want me to try.

I should also mention.... I also tried creating the new compressed files on a separate machine that I use for editing the sequences, and then transferring them to the 'show machine'. That didn't work either. Still had errors in the show.

The 'show machine' is running XP Home. But the machine I use for editing is running Win-7 64-bit. Creating the files on one and transferring them to the other has never been a problem before. BUT just to be sure, I did try creating the new LCS files on the show machine directly also, and it didn't help.

Thanks again!

DevMike wrote:

Ok, so for now keep compressed sequences turned OFF and you should have better luck.

Does that go for using a director also?

Let the HU compress the sequence. Does the HU or SSB use the LCS at all?

I'm not sure. Again, I'm not the SE or HU guru, I just see a pattern forming.

I would say that if you are not having problems, leave things as they are. If you are having problems, try turning off compressed sequence to see if it helps.

DevMike wrote:

I'm not sure. Again, I'm not the SE or HU guru, I just see a pattern forming.

I would say that if you are not having problems, leave things as they are. If you are having problems, try turning off compressed sequence to see if it helps.

Forgot to read the Help File and now know this will not fix my problem.