Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR monitor freezes on show computer

fair28

Has anyone else experienced this? The LOR monitor freezes during my show for no apparent reason. The OS is still running fine, just the LOR monitor gets stuck. I have to reboot the machine to get the show to run again. I've replaced the computer and I'm getting the same result. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do? Could it be one of my sequences? I'm running 2.8.12, I'm not going to upgrade to LOR III until next season. I could upgrade to 2.9, but, will this help?

Thanks.
Craig.

The next time that it freezes, try unplugging your USB adapters and then plugging them in again. If that causes it to unfreeze, then the problem is probably excessive noise on the comm line. In that case, take steps to reduce the noise. For example:

• Use a better shielded USB cable.
  • Use ferrite beads on the cable. If you're already using ferrite beads, use better ferrite beads.
  • Isolate the cable as best you can from any potential external sources of electromagnetism (other cables, wires, motors, fans, monitors, whatever).
  • Try using a different USB port, especially one that's directly on your motherboard.

bob wrote:

The next time that it freezes, try unplugging your USB adapters and then plugging them in again.  If that causes it to unfreeze, then the problem is probably excessive noise on the comm line.  In that case, take steps to reduce the noise.  For example:
  • Use ferrite beads on the cable.  If you're already using ferrite beads, use better ferrite beads.
  • Isolate the cable as best you can from any potential external sources of electromagnetism (other cables, wires, motors, fans, monitors, whatever).
  • Try using a different USB port, especially one that's directly on your motherboard.

OK Bob... I gotta ask. What are ferrite beads? How do you know if you have them and how do you know if the are just good ferrite beads or better ferrite beads?

Ferrite beads are the things on some cables that look like this:

E0U6Q.jpg

Their purpose is to reduce noise on the cable. Beyond that, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar enough with hardware to tell you much about them.

Yes, I do. There is a long cord that has 2 of those filter beads things on it. It then has a USB plug and then a small other type of plug that plugs into the small black box. So, yes I do have it filtered

bob wrote:

The next time that it freezes, try unplugging your USB adapters and then plugging them in again.  If that causes it to unfreeze, then the problem is probably excessive noise on the comm line.  In that case, take steps to reduce the noise.  For example:
  • Use ferrite beads on the cable.  If you're already using ferrite beads, use better ferrite beads.

I'm experience the same freeze, in which I have to unplug the USB adapter. Strangely enough, it seems to only happening when the scheduler switches between my static show to my music show or visa-versa. I'll try your recommendations to see if that helps. I'm using version 2.9.4, if that makes any difference.

eluttmann wrote:

bob wrote:

I'm experience the same freeze, in which I have to unplug the USB adapter. Strangely enough, it seems to only happening when the scheduler switches between my static show to my music show or visa-versa. I'll try your recommendations to see if that helps. I'm using version 2.9.4, if that makes any difference.

So, second time in a row it freezes right after the lightshow finished tonight and just before going into the static display. It seems to run just fine during the entire show (6 hours) and then suddenly freezes afterwards when switching to a static show. Using the same PC as previous year which didn't have this issue, difference being I upgraded to version 2.9.4 of the software and added a static show to the schedule to run after the lightshow finishes running. I verified I'm using the cable with ferrite beads and moved to another usb port on the back of the PC. Any other ideas?

eluttmann wrote:

eluttmann wrote:
bob wrote:

So, second time in a row it freezes right after the lightshow finished tonight and just before going into the static display. It seems to run just fine during the entire show (6 hours) and then suddenly freezes afterwards when switching to a static show. Using the same PC as previous year which didn't have this issue, difference being I upgraded to version 2.9.4 of the software and added a static show to the schedule to run after the lightshow finishes running. I verified I'm using the cable with ferrite beads and moved to another usb port on the back of the PC. Any other ideas?

Okay, third night and it freezes again switching between the static display and animated display. I'm going to try to downgrade the software and see if that helps. Didn't have this issue last year, before upgrading to 2.9.4 for this years show.

I doubt that version 2.9.4 has anything to do with it. If your previous version (which is what, by the way?) is capable of playing the sequence files that 2.9.4 was using, then I guess you might as well try.

But this "unplug and it unfreezes" problem is a known symptom of noise on the line. Are you sure there aren't any sources of electromagnetism that might be interfering with the signal on the line?

bob wrote:

I doubt that version 2.9.4 has anything to do with it.  If your previous version (which is what, by the way?) is capable of playing the sequence files that 2.9.4 was using, then I guess you might as well try.

But this "unplug and it unfreezes" problem is a known symptom of noise on the line.  Are you sure there aren't any sources of electromagnetism that might be interfering with the signal on the line?

Previously I was running 2.8.12 of the software. I'm using the USB cable with the ferrite beads that came with the adapter (its same cable and adapter I used previous years). I've routed the cable way from any power cords the best I can.

Yesterday I tried updating to the latest FTDI USB adapter drivers because I noticed there was a more recent release than what I was using, but it did not make a difference. Same symptom - works fine until the scheduler attempts to switch between shows (static->musical, musical->static).

Today I downgraded to version 2.8.12 of the software and will report what happens tonight. If I still have problems tonight, I'll probably just change it to a single musical show for now - as I have to leave town for a couple days and then look into it again when I get back.

Okay ... I simply uninstalled 2.9.4 and re-installed 2.8.12, it ran all shows just fine without any issues for the first time this week. No other changes made, so it seems that something in the 2.9.4 release is causing the freeze for me.

eluttmann wrote:

Okay ... I simply uninstalled 2.9.4 and re-installed 2.8.12, it ran all shows just fine without any issues for the first time this week. No other changes made, so it seems that something in the 2.9.4 release is causing the freeze for me.

Second night ran without a problem...

eluttmann wrote:

Ran without a hitch the entire week ... so for me it seems that something in the 2.9.4 release was causing the freeze for me.

• 11 months later...

This freezing is happening to me too. I am going to uninstall 2.9.4 and try 2.8.12. I hope this works because it has been freezing in the middle of the show every night for 2 weeks! Thanks for the research