Light-O-Rama Forums

20' Mega Tree density?

roknjohn

This my first year using a mega tree and I was wondering if I've planned enough lights & channels. I have a 20' center pole and planned to use 100ct mini incans. Four colors (W,R,G,:) with 14 strands each, that's 56 strands spaced evenly 360 degrees around.

I plan to have each white string on a separate channel, two color strings per channel each for red and green (opposite strings on same channel) and all of the blue on another. So that's 14w+7g+7r+1b=29chans. If I add a 3 channel topper that makes an even 32.

My question is, do you think the tree will appear "full" enough when only one color (14 strings) is lit? Do I need more, or could I get by with less?

I guess I'm trying to talk myself into using only 2 controllers. If I go over, I'd may as well add strobes and a firestick in the center.

I had 16 strand of clear, gold, and red for the first 2 years of our LOR display. Last year I went to 32 of each and I have to say that move made my previous tree look almost naked. The first two years I thought the tree looked great though so you're probably ok... for now. :)

did you tie adjacent strings together or opposite strings? also, did you use superstrings or space each string individually?

I use 16 strings per each of the 4 colors, use a channel per string, 64 channels, plus 8 channels for the star on top and a couple more for strobes.

This year I'm adding 15 RGB DC channels for 20 color changing ornaments I built for the mega tree

roknjohn wrote:

did you tie adjacent strings together or opposite strings? also, did you use superstrings or space each string individually?

I'm now a superstrings guy due to how much time it saves.

My tree originally had 8 channels per color so I put opposite(as in front to back) lights on the same channel. When I doubled the lights I kept with 8 channels and just added adjacent strands to each.

Here's our 2008 tree...
megatree.jpg

Here's our 2010 tree...
dscf0078.jpg

A couple of thoughts. More lights are always better especially on that tall of a tree. I don't think you need to have each white string on a separate channel - one string on by itself does not do that much for the appearance of a tree that size and for the colored strings I personcally think it would look better having the two strings side by side rather than opposite. Also most use total strings in multiple of fours which makes it easier to sequence to the beat of the music. You may want to consider 16 of each color and if you put two whites on a channel you will have the channels available. But remember this all personal preference and I am sure what ever you do will look fine.

roknjohn wrote:

My question is, do you think the tree will appear "full" enough when only one color (14 strings) is lit? Do I need more, or could I get by with less?

I guess I'm trying to talk myself into using only 2 controllers. If I go over, I'd may as well add strobes and a firestick in the center.

My 20' Mega Tree uses 12 channels. I use 100ct multi minis and put 2 strings per channel spaced evenly. My Base of only 8' in diameter and it fills out nicely.

http://vimeo.com/16113419 <-------- See the mega Tree here.

Gary,

That's a good point about the multiples of four for sequencing. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Ok, so channels aside for a moment, I guess I need to decide if I want 16 or 32 strings per color (WRGB) and whether they should be super strings or interleaved evenly.

One effect that I like is having the tree all one color at say 50% and having a 100% single white string chase 360. I'm not sure that having adjacent strings on same channel will give me the same effect that I'm after. But now I'm concerned that a single string may not give me enough impact on a 20' tree. Should I just double the whites?

Using 100ct mini incans, each color will require a minimum of two channels due to load if I go 32/color, right?

roknjohn wrote:

Jeffery, is that 32 3-color superstrings on your 2010 tree?

Yep, 32 superstrands with clear, gold, and red for a total of 9,600 lights.

Jeffery, what is the base diameter of your 2010 tree? I like those proportions. Also, it looks like you brought the strings all the way to the center pole. Neat. Did that cause you to lower the height a little?

Lastly, is that base ring made of PVC or something else?

roknjohn wrote:

Jeffery, what is the base diameter of your 2010 tree? I like those proportions. Also, it looks like you brought the strings all the way to the center pole. Neat. Did that cause you to lower the height a little?

Lastly, is that base ring made of PVC or something else?

Geeze... I should know simple math...

The circumference is 40' so the diameter is... uh... well... let me check Google and I'll be right back... ok, the diameter is ~12'8". :D

For the height of my center pole, the strands worked out almost perfect for wrapping underneath the ring and going to the center pole. I didn't plan it that way, it just worked out.

The base ring is just four 10' long, 3/4" round gray electrical conduits from Lowes.

My Mega is 21' and I have 32 super-strands of RGW zip-tied to 3/32" steel wire (steel wire new for 2011). 2 strands per channel so that works out to 16 ch per color. I also have a 3D star (3 ch) and 4 strands of strobes. The base diameter is 12'. However I am adding another 32 strands of White for the spiral tree effect for this year with 2 strands per ch. So all in all I am using 68 channels for the Mega Tree this year.

I think you tree will look good and just look for the After Christmas Sales to get more lights for next year if you don't think it looks "full" enough. However you will need more channels to run this beast!

The photos are from 2010 show.

Attached files 279327=15480-4949741_orig.jpg

Just readin forums when I saw the tree and said, I know that tree. Hi Jim, Dave (Laingsburg) here. So is your tree going to stay up this year. I just finished making some mods to mine this morning. Raised it from 15' to 20' and I'm a little nervous of strength due to what happened to you last year. The winds are blowing pretty good right now so hopefully it will still be standing when I get home. Time will tell.

The tree has now taken over 40mph gust between last night and last week Monday. I kept the tree at 20ft and gave up on going to 30ft like last year. I would highly recommend adding 4 guy wires! I used 1/8" steel cable with "dog chain cork screw" anchors and they have held up great!

Jeremy Brown